This 201 has potential

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
My partner looked at this one yesterday, it is owned by an ATP who flies 737's for AirTran, and is so busy he isn't using the plane. He is the third owner, and purchased the plane from a buddy as he knew it to be a good plane.

Paint/int are original, and look as good as new. Last corrosion inspection was 2004, and the plane was treated with corrosion-x at that time. The owner has complete logs on CDROM that he is mailing to us.

Granted, it is a runout, and the radios are crap, but it still looks very appealing being such low time. If it checks out pre-buy, she'd be a nice one with a new GPS navcom and new engine.

1978 M20J, 1700-TT, 0-SPOH, NDH, 3/06 annual. Dual King KX170Bs (one w/MAC 1700 digital display), KR87 ADF, KMA20 audio, KT76A transponder, KN-62A DME, Century IIB autopilot. Extremely low time, always hangared, no corrosion. $85,000. FL

Attachments

• fl mooney.zip
    991.9 KB · Views: 36
Has the insulation been replaced? Has the steel cage SB been followed? (Is that what you mean by corrosion inspection?

How's the plastic in the interior holding up? Typically it gets brittle and cracks at the arm rests, especially at the door.

Did you fly it? How's the rigging? Engage the autopilot and see if she tracks straight.

Looks like it's almost donut time, too.

Ken Ibold said:
Has the insulation been replaced? Has the steel cage SB been followed? (Is that what you mean by corrosion inspection?

How's the plastic in the interior holding up? Typically it gets brittle and cracks at the arm rests, especially at the door.

Did you fly it? How's the rigging? Engage the autopilot and see if she tracks straight.

Looks like it's almost donut time, too.

I'll ask, and also examine the copies of the logs when they arrive.

Are you budgeting for new radios?

I would be replacing the non-MAC 170 with a 430, move the MAc to #2; I would not automatically throw out the MAC-converted 170, in my experience they work great.

SCCutler said:
I would be replacing the non-MAC 170 with a 430, move the MAc to #2; I would not automatically throw out the MAC-converted 170, in my experience they work great.
I agree.

SCCutler said:

Exactly what I was thinking, use the Mac 170 till it dies. Several large avionics shops offer packages, my partner found one for a Garmin 340 audio, 430 GPS, and HSI installed for around $12k. Don't know if it is a slaved HSI, that is what I would want.

I have to be in Munich next week, so I won't really be able to do much digging on this plane until I return.

Just found out this one has never had the tanks re-sealed, and there is a slight weeping on one of them, so add another $8k on top of the engine and gear donuts to fly it the way it sits.

The owner said the price is very negotiable, we'll see after we go thru the logs.

It is starting to smell like a pass, through.

Last edited:
Bill Jennings said:
It is starting to smell like a pass, through.

Sometimes, I smell when I pass, too. :p

price seems a little high for a runout engine and the avionics setup. I figure you'd be looking at $30K for a new engine, $20K for avionics, and $10K for tanks and donuts and a fresh annual. $145K seems just a bit much to spend for a 78J, but maybe you can dicker.

Both tank reseal should be about 7000 and 1 week at Wilmar Aviation. Very few Js worth that much. You could get a decent turbo for that.

Back