Third term medical renewal question- turning 40

N2124v

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N2124V
In November of 2011 I renewed my third class medical and turned 40 in October of 2012. I'm assuming that because I turned 40 I'm now on the 3 year renewal cycle and will need to renew in November, 2014. Am I correct? Thanks, Wade

Is there any rule against going in early for a medical exam? Say my third class medical is due to expire when I'm 41, could I go in a month before my 40th birthday to get 5 more years out of it even though it was over a year before it would expire?

Is there any rule against going in early for a medical exam? Say my third class medical is due to expire when I'm 41, could I go in a month before my 40th birthday to get 5 more years out of it even though it was over a year before it would expire?

That is exactly what I would do! I didn't think about it when I turned 40, nine years ago, but it makes sense to go early and get the extra years. :D

It's actually from the date of EXAMINATION. Anybody with a deferral or other delays in issuance learned that lesson.

Yes, nothing prevents you from taking your exam early.

Big thumbs up to going in early for a 5 year medical!
The only issue I had was that after I turned 40 the FBO software tried to say that I was due for a medical. The FBO manually adjusted the issue date so that it EXPIRED on the proper date. Other than that, no issues.

Jim

Last edited:
You can. The only risk is that if the new medical application is denied, your old medical is no longer usable.

You can. The only risk is that if the new medical application is denied, your old medical is no longer usable.

Of course, if you have something that should lead to a denial, you probably ought not to be flying that last month anyhow. A deferral however, you can continue to fly until the FAA makes a determination that you do not meet the qualifications (or your old certificate expires).

That is exactly what I would do! I didn't think about it when I turned 40, nine years ago, but it makes sense to go early and get the extra years. :D

I did it. Figured it saved me a visit. Next one is the dreaded over-40 one. Heh.

I did it. Figured it saved me a visit. Next one is the dreaded over-40 one. Heh.

Now that you've moved into the sticks, just walk or bicycle to the airport when you want to go fly.

Of course, if you have something that should lead to a denial, you probably ought not to be flying that last month anyhow. A deferral however, you can continue to fly until the FAA makes a determination that you do not meet the qualifications (or your old certificate expires).
That is sadly not true anymore. They now say (see website) that a deferral grounds you until resolved :(

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ilton-aam-1 - (2007) legal interpretation.pdf

Last para. at the bottom of page 2.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back