Third sleeping controller triggers action

maybe they should just close those control towers at night

they would be stuck in the air until morning i guess

The sad part is I can see that getting quoted in the "news" if they decide to close them at night.

maybe they should just close those control towers at night

What!? And let the little planes fly around without anyone there to tell them where to go!? How would they find the airport? How would the keep from running into each other? It would be pandolerium!

They should take notes from OWD tower - I called up for clearance and they had Hendrix blaring in the background. Twern't nobody sleepin in that tower! I did get some interesting taxi instructions though -- exactly how do I "Taxi past the big pink elephant and through the land of candy canes..."?

Another controller has been caught sleeping on the job. The FAA has now added a second controller to 27 towers on the overnight shift.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/2011/04/13/faa-suspends-boeing-field-controller-adds-27/

FAA administrator claimed: "We absolutely cannot and will not tolerate sleeping on the job. This type of unprofessional behavior does not meet our high safety standards."

The administrator seems oblivious to human physiology if he thinks the issue is one of "professionalism". His grandstanding on the problem is becoming tiresome. Hopefully someone under him understands the real cause of the problem and deals with it correctly.

FAA administrator claimed: "We absolutely cannot and will not tolerate sleeping on the job. This type of unprofessional behavior does not meet our high safety standards."

The administrator seems oblivious to human physiology if he thinks the issue is one of "professionalism". His grandstanding on the problem is becoming tiresome. Hopefully someone under him understands the real cause of the problem and deals with it correctly.

i wonder if this will mess up the budget now :D

...They should take notes from OWD tower - I called up for clearance and they had Hendrix blaring in the background. Twern't nobody sleepin in that tower! I did get some interesting taxi instructions though -- exactly how do I "Taxi past the big pink elephant and through the land of candy canes..."?

Oh, MAN! You missed your chance!

"OWD Tower, ...S'CUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY!!!"

The problem is that the general public WANTS the grandstanding. Makes 'em think like the gov't is "doing something." Babbitt is a smart guy. He gets this. One of the things I really like about him is that when there's a big, public issue that relates to the FAA, and Congress starts proposing some sort of gargantuan "fix", he's generally already there with a plan that makes more sense. Sometimes, that tactic even works.

The problem is that the general public WANTS the grandstanding. Makes 'em think like the gov't is "doing something." Babbitt is a smart guy. He gets this. One of the things I really like about him is that when there's a big, public issue that relates to the FAA, and Congress starts proposing some sort of gargantuan "fix", he's generally already there with a plan that makes more sense. Sometimes, that tactic even works.

so he's got his shift together...how did he make it so far up the ladder making so much sense? i thought this was unheard of in the gov't :wink2:

so he's got his shift together...how did he make it so far up the ladder making so much sense? i thought this was unheard of in the gov't :wink2:

"Making sense" might be better expressed as closing some of the towers at night if there's so little happening that the controllers are nodding off. Instead, he added additional controllers to help the ones already assigned pass the boredom.

In other words: "There's not enough traffic to keep one controller awake, so let's assign two controllers instead."

That solution to the problem is how he made it so far up the government ladder.

-Rich

Babbitt didn't work his way up the government ladder to FAA Administrator, he started at that rung.

The simplest solution continues to be overlooked. Remove the furniture. Sleeping is much more difficult while standing.:ihih:

The simplest solution continues to be overlooked. Remove the furniture. Sleeping is much more difficult while standing.:ihih:

except for the controllers smart enough to bring an air mattress.

Closing the tower at night = save money.
Hire a second controller to keep first guy awake = spend more money.
So now what would any really think our goverment would do?

No different than what a private corporation might do. The more people a manager has under him the bigger his budget and the bigger his org chart pee pee. I've seen unneeded hires quite often in large corporations, even in today's economy.

Really.

Which towers get closed?

Those without enough traffic to warrant being open.

Which stay open?

Those with enough traffic to warrant being open.

Deteming those answers would require a committee, time and money. Removing all furniture from all towers is e-a-s-y.

Actually, determining those answers requires only an examination of the hourly traffic counts, which are readily available. That's e-a-s-i-e-r than removing furniture which requires physical labor.

Actually, determining those answers requires only an examination of the hourly traffic counts, which are readily available. That's e-a-s-i-e-r than removing furniture which requires physical labor.

Oh, so there is already a traffic per hour standard in place determining whether a tower is open or closed? Do you have that number?

As for the physical labor....most towers are higher than the surrounding area. Gravity will do most of the work. :wink2: I have also found that a properly placed "FREE" sign will get most things moved without complaint.

I really don't get the reasoning behind a second controller. Is this a form of redundancy in case of single controller failure or are they there to keep each other awake? Why not hire people off the street for minimum wage and put them in the tower with a cattle prod to wake up a sleeping controller?

I really don't get the reasoning behind a second controller. Is this a form of redundancy in case of single controller failure or are they there to keep each other awake? Why not hire people off the street for minimum wage and put them in the tower with a cattle prod to wake up a sleeping controller?
WHAT IF YOU HIRE A TERRORIST! HE WILL DRIVE PLANES INTO EACH OTHER BECAUSE PILOTS HAVE TO DO EXACTLY WHAT THE TOWER SAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/sarcasm

"Making sense" might be better expressed as closing some of the towers at night if there's so little happening that the controllers are nodding off. Instead, he added additional controllers to help the ones already assigned pass the boredom.

In other words: "There's not enough traffic to keep one controller awake, so let's assign two controllers instead."

That solution to the problem is how he made it so far up the government ladder.

-Rich

Babbitt didn't work his way up the government ladder to FAA Administrator, he started at that rung.

sheeesh...i was being sarcastic

This whole thing about sleeping controllers is tiring. Can't someone put this subject to rest already?

Thing is, since there is now reports of a fourth controller asleep at the scope, does that not indicate a systemic problem? IOW, shouldn't the focus be on the system rather than the individual controllers?

I found what Don Brown said in his Blog interesting:

"1) There isn’t a “cure” or a “fix” for this problem. People are designed by nature to fall asleep at night. Put 50 people in 50 different rooms -- alone -- for a midnight shift and at least one of them will fall asleep. Intentionally or unintentionally. You can bet money on it.

2) Assigning two people to one control position will revert to one person on position when they decide to split the shift in half. (One works the first half while the other sleeps and then they swap.) Even if you try to manage it, history suggests that at some point in time, the situation will revert to splitting the shift. It’s human nature. Besides, you would need to assign a manager to the shift if you wanted to “manage” the situation. In other words, another body that you don’t have.

3) If there was some magical way to keep two controllers at their position and awake throughout the midnight shift, you would wind up with two exhausted controllers trying to work the morning rush. Sleep-deprived controllers aren’t anybody’s idea of safety.

4) The FAA doesn’t have the controllers available to increase staffing on the midnight shifts. The only way to increase that staffing is to assign overtime -- which increases fatigue in the workforce. In other words, the (proposed) “cure” is as bad as the “disease”.

5) The “best” way to manage the problem is to have three controllers assigned the shift. Two to man the position while the other rests. And yes, rest does mean sleeping. That isn’t going to happen -- for a multitude of social, political and financial reasons (i.e. non-safety reasons). The FAA doesn’t have the controllers to implement that strategy anyway. See #4.

6) This situation won’t be resolved. It will just fade away until some other incident brings it to the forefront again.

7) Don’t look for anybody to propose #5. The Republicans would skewer the union for proposing it and they’d treat the FAA almost as badly for “wasting” taxpayer dollars “coddling” those “overpaid, lazy government workers”.

You watch, they will take the overtime controllers will be forced to work in order to have two people on the mid shifts and use it to inflate controller’s average salaries and/or inflate the cost of how much it takes to run an FAA Tower compared to a contract Tower. When it is time to negotiate, the Republicans will use the cost of that overtime against controllers -- just like Spain did to their controllers. And when they have enough power to try and privatize the system again, they’ll use the increased costs to show how “inefficient” the government is.

Don’t think that this sleepy-controller situation isn’t a serious safety problem. It is. It just won’t be resolved because our society doesn’t like the answer to the problem."

I found what Don Brown said in his Blog interesting:

"1) There isn’t a “cure” or a “fix” for this problem. People are designed by nature to fall asleep at night. Put 50 people in 50 different rooms -- alone -- for a midnight shift and at least one of them will fall asleep. Intentionally or unintentionally. You can bet money on it.

2) Assigning two people to one control position will revert to one person on position when they decide to split the shift in half. (One works the first half while the other sleeps and then they swap.) Even if you try to manage it, history suggests that at some point in time, the situation will revert to splitting the shift. It’s human nature. Besides, you would need to assign a manager to the shift if you wanted to “manage” the situation. In other words, another body that you don’t have.

3) If there was some magical way to keep two controllers at their position and awake throughout the midnight shift, you would wind up with two exhausted controllers trying to work the morning rush. Sleep-deprived controllers aren’t anybody’s idea of safety.

4) The FAA doesn’t have the controllers available to increase staffing on the midnight shifts. The only way to increase that staffing is to assign overtime -- which increases fatigue in the workforce. In other words, the (proposed) “cure” is as bad as the “disease”.

5) The “best” way to manage the problem is to have three controllers assigned the shift. Two to man the position while the other rests. And yes, rest does mean sleeping. That isn’t going to happen -- for a multitude of social, political and financial reasons (i.e. non-safety reasons). The FAA doesn’t have the controllers to implement that strategy anyway. See #4.

6) This situation won’t be resolved. It will just fade away until some other incident brings it to the forefront again.

7) Don’t look for anybody to propose #5. The Republicans would skewer the union for proposing it and they’d treat the FAA almost as badly for “wasting” taxpayer dollars “coddling” those “overpaid, lazy government workers”.

You watch, they will take the overtime controllers will be forced to work in order to have two people on the mid shifts and use it to inflate controller’s average salaries and/or inflate the cost of how much it takes to run an FAA Tower compared to a contract Tower. When it is time to negotiate, the Republicans will use the cost of that overtime against controllers -- just like Spain did to their controllers. And when they have enough power to try and privatize the system again, they’ll use the increased costs to show how “inefficient” the government is.

Don’t think that this sleepy-controller situation isn’t a serious safety problem. It is. It just won’t be resolved because our society doesn’t like the answer to the problem."

The answer to this problem is to close these facilities at night. I don't see why our society wouldn't like that answer.

Back