Third Class Medical

milesdr1m

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
milesdr1m
I am working on getting current on my Private Pilot license and it is time to get my medical. I am not sure what I need to bring with me. Do I need a complete medical history signed by my MD. It has been over ten years since I have flown and don't know what to expect. I am on Blood pressure meds.

You need to complete FAA Form 8500-8 before you visit. It takes a long time to complete the form, so get started now. Your AME will tell you what he needs from your regular doctors. You will have two weeks to supply that information. You may be able to talk to the AME's staff in advance to get an idea of what you will need.

First and foremost, do not go to the AME for the real live exam unless you are more than 100% confident you will pass without deferral or worse denial. Review the 8500-8 form and especially questions for the medical history and encounters with law enforcement.

For medical history, it’s a “have you ever in your life” response, and if you answer yes to those, seek advice on how to proceed before doing live exam.

For law enforcement, especially the young and dumb things with alcohol or other substances, definitely seek appropriate counsel before going to the AME.

Getting your first medical right can be an enjoyable thing. Getting it wrong by deferral or denial creates a special form of hell you want to avoid.

Last edited:
If you want to visit with the AME and do a consultation pre exam, some AME’s will do that. But be nice and pay the office visit fee.

But DO NOT hand over the confirmation code that appears at the bottom of the completed MedXpress form. If you do that and the doctor or staff enters it into the FAA system, you are no longer in the consultation safe zone. Your exam goes live and the result can only be issue, defer, or deny. But if you’re there to determine which of the three it is, you don’t want a live exam. So don’t hand over the code.

@milesdr1m — where are you? Maybe someone near to you has a recommendation for an AME that is better than the others in your region.

...if you answer yes to those, seek advice on how to proceed before doing live exam.
@AggieMike88, what advice would you suggest that @milesdr1m seek in connection with his high blood pressure medication? Are you suggesting that he learn what the deferral numbers are and to NOT proceed if he's at or above that level? That is, are you saying he should not go for the medical if he has even 1% concern that he will fail?

That is, are you saying he should not go for the medical if he has even 1% concern that he will fail?
At a minimum, one needs to know what they are up against. Office issue? Typical S.I. (lots of hoops for the sake of jumping though hoops), likely denial...

You wan't to have some idea what the chances are that you will hit your foot before you pull the trigger on the gun. That way you can make a more informed decision about how much you really need the medical for whatever type of flying you need to do. If you are going to be an airline pilot (or die trying) then the no medical options have no value and you just roll the dice (but even so, having your paperwork ducks in order is essential). If you just want to fly for the sake of the yea olde fun of converting gas to noise, then even with a small chance of denial it's just not worth eliminating your other options.

Disclamer: I ain't AggieMike88

@AggieMike88, what advice would you suggest that @milesdr1m seek in connection with his high blood pressure medication? Are you suggesting that he learn what the deferral numbers are and to NOT proceed if he's at or above that level? That is, are you saying he should not go for the medical if he has even 1% concern that he will fail?
As best I understand the current hypertension policy, he will need...
To not be on any of the "prohibited" meds (AOPA has a list online),
Have to be on current meds and dosages for 30 days or more,
No more than 3 hypertension meds,
He needs a status report from his doc with meds, dosage, and BP readings,
He needs to be measured below 155/95 at the AME.

The medical can be issued in-office and not deferred.

There may be other stuff, too. If the attending doc doesn't provide a report, the AME can issue but must dig a little deeper to be sure condition is under control. Some AMEs won't want to do that.

One thing that is not mentioned on the application form is that you will be screened for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), based on body mass index (BMI), neck size, age, etc. If you fall into a higher risk category, then you may be required to have a sleep study done and provide documentation of compliance with treatment, if required. There have been a number of threads on this subject. Here is a recent one:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/osa-letter-from-the-faa.103001/

BasicMed. Don’t even bother with the third class.
What do I need to do to fly under BasicMed?
  1. Comply with the general BasicMed requirements (possess a U.S. driver's license, have held a medical after July 14, 2006).
  2. Get a physical exam with a state-licensed physician, using the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist
  3. Complete a BasicMed medical education course;

My advice, for what it is worth, is to be a member of AOPA and call them for advice. I did that several years ago, did exactly what they told me, and passed the Third Class with no problems.

Just to emphasize what a previous response said, after you complete the MedXPress, print out a hard copy of the form. Save the confirmation number somewhere where you can find it. DO NOT give that number to the AME, or anyone in the office until the AME indicates that everything looks OK. If the AME won't review the information without the code, find a different AME.

I am working on getting current on my Private Pilot license and it is time to get my medical. I am on Blood pressure meds.

If your BP is fine on medications that are approved by the FAA ... you are good to go!

Lots of answers, I can't do the Basic Med as it has been over 10yrs. Thanks
for the FAA Form 8500-8. I will start on that. I don't have any DUI problems and I have been on the Blood pressure meds quite a while, so I don't think that will be an issue either.

You can do basicmed as long as you have had a medical valid in 2006 or after.

You can do basicmed as long as you have had a medical valid in 2006 or after.
Specifically, it could be issued as early as July 1, 2003 (if you were under 40 at the time) or July 1, 2004 (if your were 40 or older at t8me of issue).

Either way, HTN that is controlled should not be a problem as long as you meet the requirements described above...

Bring with you, in addition to the hard printed copy of the Medxpress (obtained just below the 12 digit #, and AFTER the submission) a letter from your doc saying "I am satisfied with Miles's BP control and have no immediate plans to make changes. Signature, Date".

Last edited:
Well, I have postponed my physical for now. My blood pressure started to shoot up again, after 10 yrs, and my doc is trying some new scripts to get it back under control. I have filled out FAA Form 8500-8. Seems like I am along ways off again from getting current.

Just got a call from OKC, I was nervous about answering it!! It was a confirmation call that I got the fax of my medical and also that I got it in the mail..

First post Hello, wish I had this info before my physical. I had been on a banned med. not currently using it at the time of physical but added it to my form to be completely honest..... It took three letters back and fourth had to get letters from all past doctors and pharms. for the last year and finally got my medical 7 months and 2 days after my physical.

You have the medical and now you can qualify under basicmed, pass all that you have learned to anyone starting out.

Happy holidays!

Yes, passed my third class medical last week. It was surprising easy. No problem with my blood pressure meds! I had filled out my 8500-8 form over 90 days ago, so I had to redo that, but am good to go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back