Third Class Medical Question

nab101eg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
IWRBF
I got my PPL many years ago. After a lengthy "layoff" from flying - primarily because of time constraints, I finally got in a position to jump back in. I sleep with a CPAP machine and when I worked on getting my Medical renewed, I had to furnish some medical history on the reason for CPAP usage. Third Class was issued with a statement on it that it was "for student pilot purposes only" and I am being required to take a Medical Flight Test. The restriction of student pilot only was not a big deal to me because I planned to spend time in air with a CFI anyway to get back in the swing of things.
I just had to renew my Medical (after 12 months) and had to furnish an update from doctor on the CPAP. Letter from doctor was very favorable and no questions asked by FAA. However, I just got my renewed Medical in the mail and it has a different restriction of "not valid for solo flight" (the only restriction on it...language of sudent pilot purposes only is no longer on it). This is very confusing to me because I previously got signed off on for my biannual flight review and have been flying - some solo and some with CFI - and preparing for the Medical Flight test. Can anyone shed any light on this? Am I legal to carry passengers and just can't fly solo? Why would FAA have made this change to my Medical? Thanks for any advice.

Somebody up the line is very confused. "for student pilot purposes only" is for conditions that are stable and can be resolved by a FSDO operational equivalency ride. Like NOT Sleep Apnea...is there something else, too?

"Not Valid for solo flight" is not relaly a medical certificate at all. They try not to give that one out anymore.

So, did you supply a copy of the original sleep study, a current status letter from the doc, and a CPAP compliance printout? (don't just answer "I sent stuff in". Detail is IMPORTANT).

I apologize for lack of detail...was trying to keep it short. In response to questions from Dr. Bruce, yessir I did send in the sleep study, current status, etc. I sleep with CPAP primarily for snoring and the apnea is "very mild".

I apologize for lack of detail...was trying to keep it short. In response to questions from Dr. Bruce, yessir I did send in the sleep study, current status, etc. I sleep with CPAP primarily for snoring and the apnea is "very mild".

bruce chien said:
You did the very "etc" thing I asked you not to do. So, did you supply a copy of the original sleep study...
Yes or no?

I do have to charge to review documents, so as for a way around that, why don't you tell us what the first paragraph of the letter you got with that certificate, says....

The first paragraph is "Our favorable review of your interim follow-up reports regarding your history of obstructive sleep apnea treated with CPAP has established that you are inelgible for medical certification under Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs) revised pert 67; specifically under paragraph(s) or sections(s) 67.113 (b) (c), 213 (b) (c), 313 (b) (c). However, you have been granted continued Authorization for Special Issuance of a third-class airman medical certificate under Title 14 of the CFRs, Section 67.401."
Later in the letter it states, "If you wish further consideration for certification without the limitation or modification noted, we will authorize a FSDO of your choice to conduct a Medical Flight Test." The limitation referred to is "Not Valid for Solo Flight". My primary question is why they changed the limitation from "Valid for Student Pilot Purposes Only" to "Not Valid for Solo Flight". thanks

This is now sufficiently obscure, that I can't tell witihout seeing all the documents....what was submitted, etc....was there a visual field comment by the examining AME, etc....

I don't want to "hold out" here. But the only way to resolve this is to order up your "Blue Ribbon Medical Record" from FAA and for someone who understands the process, to read it and figure it out.

The Blue Ribbon medical record is free (save the cost of certified mail, for which they bill you afterwards), but you'll have to hire soembody to review it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back