Third Class Medical Question.

Adam Smith

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Adam
Good afternoon, I'm sure this has been asked before but I could not find an answer to my situation. On the question of "HAVE YOU EVER FAILED A DRUG TEST" . Yes I have one as I was entering the US Navy, 2 a pre-employment test. One was 34yrs ago the other was 16yrs ago. I did use cannabis but quit 59 days before the pre-employment test they said I failed. I did not take the test until I worked there for 3 weeks and results came back 3 weeks later. I BELIEVE I did not fail it but they used that excuse to let me go because I was as a Honest HVAC Tech and not a seller "ripping folks off". I did not ask for a retest because honestly I had enough of working 20hrs a day. I got another job the next day at the same pay no test. I have never been charged or failed any legal matter drug test with Cannabis even while on probation for an assault charge no conviction for that as well. I am sure Some members WILL get judgmental on this post but I know there are some folks and the FAA are clueless on Cannabis and the effects or NON EFFECTS OF IT. I just want to ask is it worth me going for a 3rd class medical or just go to sport pilot. My plan is to either build a SPA Panther or buy a Piper 180.... I am ready for insults and advice. Thank you for your time.

Adam S.
Abilene Tx.

Last edited:
Or as u said. Go sport. But do not lie on any federal document.

1) don’t lie on the form. Answer truthfully and thoroughly

2) try to find an AME who will do an initial consult versus the actual exam (read the post here for how to do that: https://tinyurl.com/ame-consult). Te purpose is to allow the AME you are consulting with to provide his opinion on what the FAA might say about your situation. That might range from “no big deal, I can issue you in office now” to “issuance likely, it more documentation and proof of sobriety required” to “we can submit, but this starts a major case of cans of worms”

The point being is that you do have the chance to find out more about how the FAA might view your situation before you put your dream to fly in jeopardy.

If the AME says denial likely or lots of rough water ahead, the consultation gets you that info without jeopardizing Sport Pilot privileges or the opportunity to apply for a 3rd once you have all that’s is needed for a successful submission.

Again, look at https://tinyurl.com/ame-consult for info on how to proceed as a consultation versus a live exam.

1) don’t lie on the form. Answer truthfully and thoroughly

2) try to find an AME who will do an initial consult versus the actual exam (read the post here for how to do that: https://tinyurl.com/ame-consult). Te purpose is to allow the AME you are consulting with to provide his opinion on what the FAA might say about your situation. That might range from “no big deal, I can issue you in office now” to “issuance likely, it more documentation and proof of sobriety required” to “we can submit, but this starts a major case of cans of worms”

The point being is that you do have the chance to find out more about how the FAA might view your situation before you put your dream to fly in jeopardy.

If the AME says denial likely or lots of rough water ahead, the consultation gets you that info without jeopardizing Sport Pilot privileges or the opportunity to apply for a 3rd once you have all that’s is needed for a successful submission.

Again, look at https://tinyurl.com/ame-consult for info on how to proceed as a consultation versus a live exam.

Actually I was going to set up a consultation ASAP with a local AME but I was afraid it would stop me from flying period. Because I was under the thinking he would report me for said incidents. Thank you for the link.

Another thought... if “rough waters” becomes the answer, you will know you have the right AME when he or she doesn’t just say good luck and leaves the room, but rather lays out a plan of “go do these things and bring me this documentation”.

That shows they have an interest in you passing the exam and are willing to be your advocate.

Oh, and leave your soap boxing about cannibas and the FAA’s opinion/knowledge on the subject outside the office. While you have the right to express your opinions (and could be right on some points), arguing them with the FAA/AME isn’t going to help your application for a medical.

I don't know what the FAA's position on things that long ago. You'll probably get some good info if you hang around here for awhile. I'd highly recommend what @AggieMike88 says above about getting a 'test ride.' Tell us where you are. Address, phone number and SSN, LOL. But what city are you near. Someone may have a good recommendation for an AME to go to.

I don't know what the FAA's position on things that long ago. You'll probably get some good info if you hang around here for awhile. I'd highly recommend what @AggieMike88 says above about getting a 'test ride.' Tell us where you are. Address, phone number and SSN, LOL. But what city are you near. Someone may have a good recommendation for an AME to go to.

I am located in Abilene Tx

I PLAN on being here for a while.

Out of curiosity, what happened after failing a drug test in connection with joining the US Navy?

Last edited:
N
I am located in Abilene

I PLAN on being here for a while.
Out of curiosity, what happened after failing a drug test in connection with joining the US Navy?

Nothing, I was told this is my free pass BUT if I ever failed another test during my enlistment I would be subject to UCMJ Punishment.
I did 4yrs of service passing all test.

Actually I was going to set up a consultation ASAP with a local AME but I was afraid it would stop me from flying period. Because I was under the thinking he would report me for said incidents. Thank you for the link.
If something you were doing today was causing an immediate danger to self or others, I could see the doctor reporting to authorities as the law dictates.

But for things in the past, especially way past, I would hope he or she would consider reporting to be something that isn’t a productive activity.

All in all, a big thing is that you need to be clean and sober in order to obtain your medical certificate.

For resources in Abilene, join The North Texas Aviators group on Facebook... then look for Chloe Madinger... she lives out there, is a Blackhawk pilot for the Army reserves, and just got a billet with a regional airline.

Also, seek out the local EAA chapter.

I did use cannabis but quit 59 days before the pre-employment test they said I failed. I did not take the test until I worked there for 3 weeks and results came back 3 weeks later..
FAA isn't clueless. The above is clueless. Tehn you had a second one 16 years later. Who is clueless? Serious blunt assessment!

You will need a HIMS psychiatry evaluation and all your Active duty medical records, SARP, etc whatever the USAF's brand of recovery/monitoring record is.

Then after a handful of negative random urines, to the HIMS psychiatrist for the evaluation......

Do not lie on the 8500-8. That's even more clueless.

FAA isn't clueless. The above is clueless. Tehn you had a second one 16 years later. Who is clueless? Serious blunt assessment!

You will need a HIMS psychiatry evaluation and all your Active duty medical records, SARP, etc whatever the USAF's brand of recovery/monitoring record is.

Then after a handful of negative random urines, to the HIMS psychiatrist for the evaluation......

FYI @Adam Smith ... This is the Dr. Bruce Chien (www.aeromedicaldoc.com) I made reference to in my linked post. Dr. Chien hands down knows the required items for folks to obtain their medical certificates.

So now, with the information of obtaining the military records, a HIMS psychiatric evaluation, and a set of random urinalysis, you now know what needs to be obtained before you go for a “live” exam.

Edit your first post and add that you are in Abilene. Someone who knows a good AME there may read the first post but not down this far

Edit: I see above you already are getting some leads

Thank you for your advice.
I did not go through any SARP. It was never brought up to me and I passed all my screenings while on active duty.
I went to medical twice once for a sore throat and 2nd a stomach virus.
Dental a few times for tooth ache and a cavity

Last edited:
FYI @Adam Smith ... This is the Dr. Bruce Chien (www.aeromedicaldoc.com) I made reference to in my linked post. Dr. Chien hands down knows the required items for folks to obtain their medical certificates.

So now, with the information of obtaining the military records, a HIMS psychiatric evaluation, and a set of random urinalysis, you now know what needs to be obtained before you go for a “live” exam.

I didn' expect a reply from Dr. B.Chien.
Thank you for your reply as well Sir.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back