Thinking of restarting my training

Rob P.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rob P.
I started training in 2007. Life interfered after around 5 hours and I had to stop. I'm considering restarting again and while I know that the enthusiasm for flying will push most people here to say to go for it I have some concerns.

My memories of my flight training are mostly that it was boring. Preflight was OK. Taxi and runup OK. Takeoff was interesting every time because I had to be doing something. Climbout just meant to trim. Cruise meant trim and adjust power. And then it's hands off and do nothing. Or almost nothing. Sit there at the controls and monitor gauges that are normal, look for other airplanes in a clear sky, and large chunks of time doing/saying nothing. Then maybe 10 minutes of things like turns around a point/across a road and 2-3 stalls. After that, head home, trim for pattern altitude, do the landing checklist, land, and shut down/tie down. Get billed for an hour and "we'll see you next week."

This was at a local Cessna Training center flight school with a good reputation at an uncontrolled field. I didn't get to the point where I was using the radio but that's OK I never figured out how to use it anyway. Too many knobs and stuff that I didn't know the function of.

My Cessna coursework was OK but there were things in the first few chapters I just wasn't understanding. Mostly it was the taxiway and ground at major airports stuff but there were a couple of other things like pattern entry techniques (still have no idea how to do this other than just fly alongside the field and then turn base/final).

I felt more like a cash cow than a student. I met no one other than the cashier and my CFI. (Well I did talk to the mech 1x because the C172 needed a quart of oil.) Barely talked to my CFI before, during, or after the flight.

So, after almost 5 hours in a small space with an expert pilot and instructor I felt bored and that I'd learned very little and had some anxiety about things I should have been understanding. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Maybe I need to go fly with a different instructor? The bad part is that my old CFI is also the local DPE. And, while he should be OK with me training with a different instructor, I'd be embarrassed if we ran into each other (or he was the examiner for my PPL checkride) and he remembered me.

So, what say you? Should I "go for it" again? Or just let the dream die as just something not for me? I'm already 55 and if I pass on this again, it will be for the last time.

Last edited:
Five hours is a starter kit. You barely got into it. Here is what you will face when you go for the ring.

If you get going again, find a CFI and tell him you want to be pushed. You will fill up quickly, and not be bored if he does it.

1. radio work is a big part of being overloaded when you fly at first. you havn't tried that yet.
2. sounds like you didn't get shown stalls, steep turns, turns around points, s turns, straight and level flight, slow flight to PTS standards (get the PTS out and see why you need practice).
3. you will also need to learn not just takeoffs, but short field, soft field and aborted takeoffs. And you will need to learn not just landings, but short field, soft field, touch and go and emergency landings. Also all of it to PTS standards.
4. you should also go out in wind, and see what its like to takeoff and land in 15kt xwinds.
5. you need to study for and pass the written...no one can say that exercise is boring, its a ton of work.
6. you will then need to fly solo and do all of it, radio, sit awareness, planning, navigating, preflight and return by yourself. And do it again at night.
7. then, finally, you need to get ready to do all of it for a DPE on a checkride.

If you are digging into the matieral, and into the PTS level flying skills, and flying into controlled airspace and communicating with ATC you will not be bored. If you find yourself still bored after all of that, then you are not meant to fly...just buy a ticket and sit back and let someone else do it for you.

I started training in 2007....

/QUOTE]

So, why do you want to come back if you've tried it once and did not have a positive experience?

Life will get in the way again and it's only gotten more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may have better luck with a new instructor. Your very first flight should have been pretty busy just learning straight-and-level, turns, and climbs/descents. If you picked those up quickly, no reason not to get introduced to steep turns and slow flight. Your first few lessons should be anything but boring.

Download this free ebook: www.FreeFlyBook.com

Best of luck to you.

I started training in 2007....

/QUOTE]

So, why do you want to come back if you've tried it once and did not have a positive experience?

Life will get in the way again and it's only gotten more expensive.

Just the attitude we need to encourage more students.

not.

It gets much more interesting as your instructor requires YOU to do more, to take more responsibility for each flight and expects you to show more precision and competence.

It also gets much more interesting when you interact with control towers, you get into more complex airspace and you fly to different airports.

Many GA airports can, unfortunately, be kinda boring until you get into the good ol boy network, which takes time, interest and a willingness to fit in. It is sort of like a church. To get the most out of a church, you need to get involved.

Actually flying the airplane in cruise is a little dull, especially in rural areas. What is interesting is planning for flights, actually navigating somewhere, interacting with ATC, figuring out cruise altitudes, fuel burns, wind correction angles, avoiding weather, planning for problems.

It is strange to hear somebody say aviation is boring on this board. If somebody thinks that, I tend to think they have not dug deeply enough into the hobby/passion/addiction.

I have about 170 hours. None of those hours were boring.

Last edited:
My advice as someone who has switched instructors is to find one you're comfortable with on the ground talking to as well in flight and learning from. Remember, you're the customer, it's your ~$10k you're going to sink into this, so do it with people who will treat you like someone who's making that big of a purchase and cares about you getting the most out of it as possible.

Some airports you will walk into and you'll be all but ignored and treated like an "outsider" because you're not an old timer. Others will do whatever they can to please. The owner of the last place I flew never answered a single email of mine until I pulled chocks and parked my airplane elsewhere. Went someplace that told me "aviation is a family affair, bring the family and come in for a tour of the facility".

If your going to try it again,check out several flight schools,talk to the owner,the instructor and some students if you can. Hang around a couple of FBOs on a weekend ,and talk to the airport bums. Then decide

It gets much more interesting as your instructor requires YOU to do more, to take more responsibility for each flight and expects you to show more precision and competence.

It also gets much more interesting when you interact with control towers, you get into more complex airspace and you fly to different airports.

Many GA airports can, unfortunately, be kinda boring until you get into the good ol boy network, which takes time, interest and a willingness to fit in. It is sort of like a church. To get the most out of a church, you need to get involved.

Actually flying the airplane in cruise is a little dull, especially in rural areas. What is interesting is planning for flights, actually navigating somewhere, interacting with ATC, figuring out cruise altitudes, fuel burns, wind correction angles, avoiding weather, planning for problems.

It is strange to hear somebody say aviation is boring on this board. If somebody thinks that, I tend to think they have not dug deeply enough into the hobby/passion/addiction.

I have about 170 hours. None of those hours were boring.

My biggest problem is that I did 10-15 minutes of stuff and paid for an hour's worth of instruction & rental each time. That's OK because we were in the plane for that hour so the billing was proper. I picked up the flying stuff pretty fast and only had 1 bad landing (on the brakes too soon and too hard) which was the first landing I did that my CFI told me I did on my own (landing #3).

We did no flight planning. I didn't know what we would be doing on any given lesson day until we were in the air. No "homework" to do between flights other than "study the Cessna CD/book." I did buy a headset and the Cessna curriculum but no charts, books, plotters, kneeboards (which look to be a PITA since I'm a lefty), fuel tester, or anything else. I still do not understand my e6b or what all the markings on it are for. "We'll get to that stuff later" was what I remember being told.

I met NO ONE other than my CFI and the cashier (who sometimes was my CFI). The place was otherwise deserted. I find it difficult to understand how to dig into the passion/hobby/etc by oneself with little to no input from anyone else. I mean this is the schools livelyhood and their attitude was "ho hum."

I did try to "hang out" once hoping another student or 2 showed up but got chased off by multiple security types after half an hour. Apparently it's not allowed to be on the ramp or around the FBO unless you have a security pass or something. Restaurant was empty. Me & the waitress while I sat & drank a coke.

I think I was looking for (and maybe still am looking for) a social aspect that wasn't there. I might do better with a private CFI but apparently none of the private instructors here owns an airplane. Or they won't/don't use theirs to teach in. Which seems strange. If you're in business shouldn't you have the equipment to actually DO business? Consider a taxi service that has no cars saying: "Well, you should just go rent a car and we'll help you drive it..." Weird.

I'm going to have to think about this some more. Maybe taking a groundschool course and meeting some people would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Where are you located? Maybe a POA'er can point you to a livelier airport and CFI.

An hour of flying and only 10-15 minutes of doing stuff sounds fishy. Keep in mind, for the test you are going to run through everything about being a pilot in 1.5 hours or so. Your instructor should definitely be able to fit more in than 10 min of stuff.

My biggest problem is that I did 10-15 minutes of stuff and paid for an hour's worth of instruction & rental each time.

We did no flight planning. I didn't know what we would be doing on any given lesson day until we were in the air. No "homework" to do between flights other than "study the Cessna CD/book."

Very unfortunate. All instructors aren't like that, but there are quite a few. Shop wisely for someone who enjoys teaching on the ground and practicing in the air.

Where are you located? Maybe a POA'er can point you to a livelier airport and CFI.

Good question and comment.

I changed airports and CFI's for this exact reason. I am much happier at the airport I am at now, much more social stuff going on, much livelier.

...my school wasn't real 'sociable' either, I'd say. My CFI was the school's A&P so when I'd show up I'd usually hang out in the hangar watching him finish up whatever he was working on to come fly with me. He also wasn't a very hands-on CFI in terms of the books and such but I knew that going in. I just liked his style and personality and the fact that he was also a mechanic...I was very interested in that part...learning to fly with someone who, like me, likes to know how and why things work. Most importantly, he taught me how to fly an airplane...not fly to pass a test.

I treated it as business anyway. It didn't bother or concern me that I didn't have people to hang out with and spend the afternoon talking about flying. I am busy...work/travel a lot and have 3 young boys so just getting away for 4 hours to get a couple hours of flying lessons in once or twice a week was difficult enough for me.

I did buy into a 4 way partnership of a Cherokee 235 very early in my training and I enjoyed the time I had to hang out with the other Partners, especially our 'main' guy who happens to be a retired Southwest Airlines Captain. Lots to learn from him and flew several trips with him during my PPL training where he'd let me take left seat and fly. So, I got to experience a 'real world' flight several times even before I was doing my own XC stuff. Definitely kept me motivated and hungry.

As others mentioned - tell us where you are from and I'm certain there are folks on here close to you that might be able to make some recommendations.

I'd say get back up there - you wouldn't be posting here if you really didn't want it. Find a good CFI and get it done.

Good luck!

My biggest problem is that I did 10-15 minutes of stuff and paid for an hour's worth of instruction & rental each time. That's OK because we were in the plane for that hour so the billing was proper. I picked up the flying stuff pretty fast and only had 1 bad landing (on the brakes too soon and too hard) which was the first landing I did that my CFI told me I did on my own (landing #3).

We did no flight planning. I didn't know what we would be doing on any given lesson day until we were in the air. No "homework" to do between flights other than "study the Cessna CD/book." I did buy a headset and the Cessna curriculum but no charts, books, plotters, kneeboards (which look to be a PITA since I'm a lefty), fuel tester, or anything else. I still do not understand my e6b or what all the markings on it are for. "We'll get to that stuff later" was what I remember being told.

I met NO ONE other than my CFI and the cashier (who sometimes was my CFI). The place was otherwise deserted. I find it difficult to understand how to dig into the passion/hobby/etc by oneself with little to no input from anyone else. I mean this is the schools livelyhood and their attitude was "ho hum."

I did try to "hang out" once hoping another student or 2 showed up but got chased off by multiple security types after half an hour. Apparently it's not allowed to be on the ramp or around the FBO unless you have a security pass or something. Restaurant was empty. Me & the waitress while I sat & drank a coke.

I think I was looking for (and maybe still am looking for) a social aspect that wasn't there. I might do better with a private CFI but apparently none of the private instructors here owns an airplane. Or they won't/don't use theirs to teach in. Which seems strange. If you're in business shouldn't you have the equipment to actually DO business? Consider a taxi service that has no cars saying: "Well, you should just go rent a car and we'll help you drive it..." Weird.

I'm going to have to think about this some more. Maybe taking a groundschool course and meeting some people would be a good idea.

Hang out and meet people. See if you find someone you click with. A CFI can be the difference between a positive and negative experience.

This is an interesting read. http://www.simpleflight.net/blog/lets-quit-the-blame-game-travis-ammon

Good luck!

Thanks to the OP for sharing the reasons he stopped to begin with. Another option for the social aspect is a flying club instead of a pt61/141 school, or possibly search out an activeEAA chapter nearby.

Wherever you end up at, you should be training on an integrated syllabus that ties the objectives for each flight with relevant ground training. You should know what to expect to accomplish for each flight and what needs to be done to prepare for the next flight or ground lesson.

Also, if at all possible, fly 2-3 times per week. This should keep you more engaged and allow for more stable progression.

You havn't started to train yet. It takes 200 some landings to get them good enough to solo safely. You are training to do something that is dangerous and expensive. You don't want to have a bad time, but you don't want to waste time chatting or playing around either...unlike high school, this is on YOUR dime and you wan't to make progress and get done as soon as you can.

So, what say you? Should I "go for it" again? Or just let the dream die as just something not for me? I'm already 55 and if I pass on this again, it will be for the last time.

do you remember enjoying the actual flying? Do you like looking out the window and seeing things from above? I've always wanted to fly, so it's definitely worth it to me. If the idea of flying doesn't excite you, then no, I wouldn't pursue it.

do you remember enjoying the actual flying? Do you like looking out the window and seeing things from above? I've always wanted to fly, so it's definitely worth it to me. If the idea of flying doesn't excite you, then no, I wouldn't pursue it.

:yeahthat:

I don't think the OP has responded yet to where he flies, but it sounds like it's not a good place for him. So I would say to him, don't give up yet! There are good and bad flight schools and CFIs out there. And of course an approach to teaching that might work for one student might be totally wrong for another. If flying is really something that's important to you, keep looking if the school/CFI doesn't feel right. I probably went through more flight schools and CFIs than the average person, but I refused to give up my dream, and I eventually found the right place for me. I'm so glad I didn't give up, but then I've always had an eye toward the sky, dreaming about flying.

If the social aspect is so important to you, maybe you could find a flying club in your area. Or even just go visit some other airports and find people who want a passenger. Believe me, there are lots of pilots out there who aren't crazy about flying alone and would love some company. That might be a good way to explore whether you want to invest the time and money to pursue a PPL. Good luck!

For the time being I'm not going to say where I am located. Mostly because, while there are 3 civilian airports locally, the area is very "small town" and everyone actually/literally knows everyone else in the flying community. So, I don't want my "dissatisfaction" with my earlier attempts to color anyone's viewpoint or opinion.

Going to look into the flying club question. I don't even know if there are any around here.

I may be going out on a limb here but I don't think it's the instructor's
responsibility to provide all your motivation for flying. You have to want
it bad. It's a huge commitment in time and money so don't do it unless
you really want to. If you don't think to yourself "This is so cool! I can't
believe I am flying this airplane. I can't wait to learn everything about it."
then flying may not be for you.

With that said.....if you are motivated then find that great instructor that
can adjust your workload according to your skill and keep you learning as
fast as possible. There's much more to a great instructor than book
smarts or tons of experience. You have to click and most of all you have
to feel like you're having fun. You might consider asking a potential instructor
for student references and then ask what they thought of the instructor and
what they did that was good and not so good.

Good luck!

Victor

... and everyone actually/literally knows everyone else in the flying community.

If this is true and we assume that you are a part of the flying community...

Going to look into the flying club question. I don't even know if there are any around here.

Then you already know the answer to this question.

But since you admit to not knowing the answer then either:
  • You are not yet a part of the flying community. The underlying sentiment in your post sort of suggests this and I suspect is at least a small part of your dissatisfaction.
  • And/Or the flying community isn't as connected as you believe.

Find the nearest EAA chapter. Gonzo nuts about airplanes.

So, I don't want my "dissatisfaction" with my earlier attempts to color anyone's viewpoint or opinion.

Too late. Those of us reading your thread have already painted a picture of ... you:eek:. Of course none of us have the same picture because our crayons are of different colors;). That means that the sentence above is more about your fear; you are projecting.

FUGETABOUTIT!

Say where you are. POA has folks all over, well, A and then some. Someone may have a better idea for you. Heck, you instructor may even be a member here and would welcome the feedback. For all we know there is an instructor starting a thread asking for advice for this student he has that doesn't ask or say anything to indicate that the training can move on. :dunno:

Do your training in a champ. Then, when you think you are bored you can work on coordination :D and landings/takeoffs have a greater potential for excitement.

Hey Rob, I'm interested in how things are working out with your training? Have you re started?

You don't sound very enthused! Maybe cars would be a better outlet or a boat perhaps. Maybe skiing. Only you can know along with........the shadow!

Hey Rob, I'm interested in how things are working out with your training? Have you re started?

Along with re-starting/re-doing my groundschool work, I've visited a couple of flight schools. Some observations:

1. WHY do flight schools unlock their doors in the morning and then everyone disappears to parts unknown and unscheduled ALL DAY LONG? If a prospective customer can't find anyone who works there and the businesses next door have no idea where the proprietor is either, then HOW do these people stay in business? (Worse, how do they keep their cash register from being raided?)

2. I hate pushy salesmen.

3. Some airport cafe's need more parking.

Along with re-starting/re-doing my groundschool work, I've visited a couple of flight schools. Some observations:

1. WHY do flight schools unlock their doors in the morning and then everyone disappears to parts unknown and unscheduled ALL DAY LONG? If a prospective customer can't find anyone who works there and the businesses next door have no idea where the proprietor is either, then HOW do these people stay in business? (Worse, how do they keep their cash register from being raided?)

2. I hate pushy salesmen.

3. Some airport cafe's need more parking.

Sounds like things are looking up!

I feel your pain. Back in 1960 in Juneau I was my instructor's only student. The plane was kept at the small boat harbor, there was no office, and I had no one to share my experiences with or ask questions of except my instructor, and I saw him only when it was time for a lesson. Like you, I received no pre- or post-flight briefings...I was given the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and an FAR/AIM to study. I did manage to solo before shipping out to the Aleutian Islands for a year.

Fast forward to 1961. Resumed training in Seattle, still on floats, only this time there was an office...but still no one-on-one help outside of the airplane....but I was studying like crazy using Acme books. Then I switched to wheels at an FBO that had all the things you are missing and got my private in 1962.

When there was no outside help available, I sought out information wherever I could find it. I read insatiably. I was never bored because it was all new to me and I could visualize from my reading what the future would be like.

So my advice is just like everyone else's...change schools, change instructors, be self-motivated. The end result is well worth it.

Bob Gardner

If you're lucky, they popped out for a few hours instructing someone else.

Some of these "schools" are extremely small. There may only be one or two people doing everything.

Even the really big ones seem to work best if you call ahead. Whoever is minding the shop may have other duties such as (informally) inspecting the aircraft or assisting mechanics. This is a good thing, as it keeps the overhead down. Do you really want to pay for a bored receptionist?

Many have poor marketing skills as well. That doesn't help.

There is one "school" I've used for 182 refresher training that consists of a single CFI, 182P, and dinky little office just outside the airport, with a desk, two chairs, and an ancient computer terminal. That's it.

Last edited:
Aviation businesses just suck at delivering customer service, good ones are a minority. Just something we have to put up with. If you are bored flying airplanes give gliders a try much less mental rest and far more yanking and banking. Still a huge time suck with poorly time managed clubs and schools though.

Aviation businesses just suck at delivering customer service, good ones are a minority. Just something we have to put up with.

Why? Poor business service is a poor business model. If it were the standard then someone could come along and take over everyone/s business without half trying and for a minimal investment.

Why would an entire industry risk that kind of investment loss?

Perhaps it is BECAUSE we put up with it?

If you are bored flying airplanes give gliders a try much less mental rest and far more yanking and banking. Still a huge time suck with poorly time managed clubs and schools though.

The closest glider fields to me are over 1 1/2 hours away for the closest one and 3 hours for the next nearest. That would be a HUGE time suck not to mention the costs skyrocketing.

So, what I'm going to do is make a couple of appointments at schools that don't have the same listed instructors as all the other schools. Seriously, there are apparently only a half dozen flight instructors here for 3 airfields and 8-10 "schools" and the CFI's ALL work for ALL the schools. So, it doesn't matter which school you go to, you're going to have the same choice of instructors. There are maybe 2 schools who don't list the same names and post the same pictures.

Why? Poor business service is a poor business model. If it were the standard then someone could come along and take over everyone/s business without half trying and for a minimal investment.

Why would an entire industry risk that kind of investment loss?

Perhaps it is BECAUSE we put up with it?

The closest glider fields to me are over 1 1/2 hours away for the closest one and 3 hours for the next nearest. That would be a HUGE time suck not to mention the costs skyrocketing.

So, what I'm going to do is make a couple of appointments at schools that don't have the same listed instructors as all the other schools. Seriously, there are apparently only a half dozen flight instructors here for 3 airfields and 8-10 "schools" and the CFI's ALL work for ALL the schools. So, it doesn't matter which school you go to, you're going to have the same choice of instructors. There are maybe 2 schools who don't list the same names and post the same pictures.

Because flight instruction and airplane rentals are not what makes money. You'll find the successful ones all do something else, like repairs or charters or air tours or fuel sales.

There isn't much margin renting out a 172 for $110/hour.

Back