Thinking of flying to NYC next week...

BonanzaDriver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BonanzaDriver
In the bonanza. I have flown into KTEB many times, in a Citation CJ1 and Kingair 350, and given the fact that there are virtually no single engine aircraft on the field, was thinking of flying into KHPN (Westchester Co.)

Has anyone flown into this airport in a SEA? If so, how difficult is it to get into the city? Cab? Rent a car?

I will be flying up from Atlanta, should I expect lots of vectoring west/ holds getting in?

Thanks for any input guys! :)

KHPN is real easy to fly into, you shouldn't get too much in the way of vectoring, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of re-routes; I'd just try to negotiate as much as you can the way up. Being based on the field, I'm unsure if there are any landing fees, but the last I heard was that only light-twins and up pay fees (even those are cheap). If you end up going to HPN, park at Panorama Flight Service and be sure to grab a slice of cheesecake upstairs in the kitchen.

Getting to the city is real easy, the line guys at Panorama will happily drive you to the other side of the field (next to the main pax terminal) where you can pick up a rental car.

If you have any questions, just give me a shout.

Safe flying,

Jason, Thanks for the heads up. I have done my fair share of negotiating enroute :) I am thinking of making a fuel/ bathroom stop in Culpeper, VA on the way up.

How long of a drive is it to the city from the rental place?

I'll be sure to grab some cheesecake :)

KHPN is real easy to fly into, you shouldn't get too much in the way of vectoring, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of re-routes; I'd just try to negotiate as much as you can the way up. Being based on the field, I'm unsure if there are any landing fees, but the last I heard was that only light-twins and up pay fees (even those are cheap). If you end up going to HPN, park at Panorama Flight Service and be sure to grab a slice of cheesecake upstairs in the kitchen.

Getting to the city is real easy, the line guys at Panorama will happily drive you to the other side of the field (next to the main pax terminal) where you can pick up a rental car.

If you have any questions, just give me a shout.

Safe flying,

While HPN is certainly an option. Have you considered Linden In NJ (KLDJ) http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLDJ

LDJ is south of NYC where as HPN is north. Linden has a big runway and is only a few minuite cab ride ( read less epensive ) to the commuter Train that takes you into NYC.

My Guess is closer, less expensive and easier.

Jason, Thanks for the heads up. I have done my fair share of negotiating enroute :) I am thinking of making a fuel/ bathroom stop in Culpeper, VA on the way up.

How long of a drive is it to the city from the rental place?

I'll be sure to grab some cheesecake :)

I'm sure you have, just about every pilot has. :yes: It's about 35-40 minutes from HPN to the GWB (George Washington Bridge) which isn't bad.

While HPN is certainly an option. Have you considered Linden In NJ (KLDJ) http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLDJ

LDJ is south of NYC where as HPN is north. Linden has a big runway and is only a few minuite cab ride ( read less epensive ) to the commuter Train that takes you into NYC.

My Guess is closer, less expensive and easier.

I just read some reviews of KLDJ by pilots, it looks like that would be a headache and that the airport manager is a nazi.

Anyone have any experiences here?

i am from the area..ive flown into linden a few times to see a freind who flies for the chopper charter based out of there...
i had no problems..airport isnt too busy despite it sits 5 miles from the end of runway 4 L and R at Newark..
but ive never had to park overnight or pay any fees since i wasnt on the ground for more then an hr..
a few weeks ago i did hear 2 pilots and the unicom guy arguing casue someone was cut off in the pattern by someone that didnt make any radio calls..and im sure half the aircraft over Nj heard the argument also..
im sure for the location and conveneice to the city the hassles wont be that big of a deal if any...

Ant

I flew into Linden IFR once in a 172, controllers were nice enough, pattern was definitely busy. I didn't have any issues with the unicom guy, but I can see where some people have since he told me exactly where to park and seemed sort of arrogant on the radio. Once I was inside, the guys working were nice and everything went smoothly. I can't comment on getting into the city since I didn't stray more than five miles from the airport.

My vote is HPN. I like it over Linden. Area is prettier, people are nice. It really is pretty quick down to the city. And yes I have done it in a single many times.

Back