Thinking back on summer

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
Thinking back on the summer.
I had a great summer of flying. I got to take another trip to Gaston's for the POA fly-in. The weather was very trying as we had rain, wind, and low fog on the trip back to AR. and we had to go by way of Albuquerque, NM. on the way back to OR. I got to spend one night at the farm with Tom and Diana. Kim and Barb showed up to make for an interesting evening. But, the highlight of the trip Had to be the rides I got to give on that Sat. at Gastons. I had found a little landing strip only about 4 miles away from Gastons and I had called and received permission to use it. I started giving rides and the line started to form. First I took Brook on a flight to look the place over and Brook took some pictures. Then I took and airline pilot and found out that I was landing with a pretty good tailwind. Now this strip had some interesting aspects to it. I had to come in slow over the top of a hangar, then between two trees and try to get down on the ground before the runway went down over a hill. The grass was tall as the guys mower had broken down after he had made a couple of passes. I don't remember all of the people I took, I know I had Leah Condon, and Sue Chien. I took Tony Condon when he and I went for fuel. I had so many I can't recall who. I have a hard time with names as 32 years of teaching, 100 names a year I think my memory part of my brain is all used up. I had a couple flights that were people that just came up and asked if I would take them for a ride. One father and his mentally challenged son. He asked if I would take them and I was more than glad to. As the day wore on I was tired from my challenging flight to Gastons from Oregon. But this is why I wanted to come, to give rides I had promised a couple years earlier when I didn't have my plane. The line continued as the story got back to those under the shade canopy. I had one after another come up and ask me if I was still giving rides. I flew close to 4 hours that day and I felt so good at the end of that perfect day at Gastons. I hope I can go back again and do it another year, but if not I have the summers Gaston Flight to remember.~~

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Sounds like a lot of fun.
I was over checking out the new Runway at Vale in a Super Cub last week. Very Nice.

Brian Case

Hi Bob,

Sounds like a lot of fun.
I was over checking out the new Runway at Vale in a Super Cub last week. Very Nice.

Brian Case

Thanks Brian. I think they did a fine job. I only wished that we would of had enough money to pave the entire length.

Bob:
I wasn't there, but you did a good thing. I wish General Aviation had more people like you and Diana. Too many are so consumed by trying to impress other people that the fun factor in flying gets lost. So although I didn't get a ride, thank you very much for your unselfish act to share the pure joy of flying.

Stacey

I wish I had offered to bring the owner of the little grass strip I used called Thunder Ridge I think. Down to the airport at Gastons for a Hot dog or something an meet the gang there. I wasn't thinking I guess.

Then I took and airline pilot and found out that I was landing with a pretty good tailwind.
Oh, I guess you mean me. But I should clear up the confusion that I'm not an airline pilot. I only look like one when I dress up that way... sort of. Landing with a tailwind there was interesting nevertheless... :crazy:

Bob:
I wasn't there, but you did a good thing. I wish General Aviation had more people like you and Diana. Too many are so consumed by trying to impress other people that the fun factor in flying gets lost. So although I didn't get a ride, thank you very much for your unselfish act to share the pure joy of flying.

Stacey

If you get there next year and I can too, I would be glad to give you a ride into Thunder Ridge. It is a rush to slow down, just clear the roof of the hangar, steer between the two big trees, set it down on the level before the runway falls away out from under the plane. and then get it slowed down, turn it around taxi back up the hill. Turn around at the house and take off down slope. I had a great time and I hope those that went with me did too. I remember Dave Taylor and I stopped and talked to the owner. Kent from Mich. got a ride. Too many to remember.

Please do come back this way next year, Bob! I missed out on my ride at Gaston's because I wanted to fly the Poker Run, but if you come back, I will definitely be in line for one of your rides! I would love to go back to Gaston's again. PoA pilots find the most interesting places to land! :)

Back