Thinking About Setting a Van on Fire

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Yes, seriously. Also shooting it and beating it with a baseball bat/hammer/whatever.

Long story short, I'm thinking of doing this as a fund raiser for Cloud Nine. We're putting new engines on the 414 (I'll make a separate thread on that, but details can be found on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cloudninerescueflights/ ) and raising the $40k remaining we need for that.

A friend was willing to donate an old junk work van (no idea on its details) to the cause. Basically a fundraiser to beat it up/shoot it/set it on fire. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. We have enough land and are out in the boonies where we could do it here. Problem is, I'm not entirely keen on doing the fundraiser here unless it is a pretty private invite list, which minimizes the potential reach.

Curious on general thoughts on the idea and how to structure it, pricing, etc. I'd generally thought about something like $10/swing with a bat, $50 for 10 swings, auction off first opportunity to swing at it, first opportunity to shoot it, set it on fire, etc.

Grab 40 lbs of tannerite for the grand finale. You can sell the main bang shot for the most maybe?

Paint it up like a police van and take it to the hood or a college campus?

article-1332484-0C381CB4000005DC-22_634x422.jpg

I'm probably not your target demographic, but I have difficulty with the concept of paying actual money (even for a good cause) to swing a baseball bat at a van. Let alone the possibility of injuring myself because the most solid thing I swing at is a baseball, and I usually miss. :rolleyes:

I'm probably not your target demographic, but I have difficulty with the concept of paying actual money (even for a good cause) to swing a baseball bat at a van. Let alone the possibility of injuring myself because the most solid thing I swing at is a baseball, and I usually miss. :rolleyes:

get closer :dunno:

Curious on general thoughts on the idea and how to structure it, pricing, etc.
One of my TA's donated his car for this when I was an undergrad and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I seem to recall he charged more for the more satisfying bits, like glass. For an extra charge you could pick a spot and he would paint the name of your choice on it - but that might be risky in today's environment. :cool:

Nauga,
crumpled

If you don’t have the hand-eye coordination to hit a parked van with a baseball bat perhaps you shouldn’t be flying. ;)

I sort of did this once for my Kids Volleyball Team...best way to dispose of a parts car I bought for $750.00... my best advice is to remove the non safety glass and lights as its a real pain in the ass to clean up...baseball bats don't hack it but sledge hammers do...safety glasses are a must...donate the scrap if you can...I got $150.00 for the hulk but had to remove all the fluids to do it....it was surprising how many people wanted to beat on it...Side Mirrors went for a premium.

Paint it in Michigan colors and bring it to Columbus for the OSU/Michigan game. Lots of folks will demolish it completely for you free of charge.

Ask my neighbors? They seem to be pretty good at setting stuff on fire based off of last night...

Paint it in Michigan colors and bring it to Columbus for the OSU/Michigan game. Lots of folks will demolish it completely for you free of charge.

I think your reading comprehension may be lacking.

I've seen this idea as fundraisers before (hit the car with a sledgehammer for $), and I always thought it would be fun for the first few hits that get to take out the glass or mirrors, but just to put a dent in the fender or hood, no thanks. Just my opinion...

Back