Thinking About Removing Tree Stumps from Runway

For night work go with aluminum powder and iron filings with a magnesium fuse to ignite. If sufficient base materials are used the moving pitures will be quite spectacular. For greater effect add LOX. Clean up might be a bother....

Rent a 953 for a day. Cut the roots with the bucket on the side you will push from. Push it over, knock the dirt off of the root ball back into the hole, drag it away. Be careful!!! LOL.

As those of you following my "thinking about" threads have noticed, we're going to build a runway (and a hangar) on our property. This weekend we're hosting a chainsaw massacre in which we're going to chop down the trees that are going to be on the runway in some form. Some are more or less down the centerline of the runway, some are off to the sides where we're clearing them just in case of some idiot with long blonde hair not able to keep the plane centered on the runway. Most of them are pretty small - I think the largest one is maybe 18" diameter, most are under a foot.

The question then becomes the best way to deal with the stumps. Options that come to mind:

1) Set them on fire (literally)
2) Pull/push them out with tractors or bulldozers (some of them I'll be able to do myself with my tractors and front end loaders, some I won't)
3) Have the stumps ground down

Pros/cons of each? Airplane will be a Cub. Putting tundra tires on it is something I'm considering doing (and in fact a lot of me wants to do that). My understanding is the primary problem with grinding the stumps down is that they'll continue to decay into the ground. Although if they just get pulled and then have the dirt filled in then they also will need some "touching up" as time passes. Not having much experience with this, curious on thoughts for the best ways to go.
I have done all three. Also I own several tractors, a D5 Cat dozer and a E-120 Cat excavator. I can assure you the excavator is the best tree slayer and stump remover. Don’t waste too much time with the chainsaw. Moving the tree skeletons to the burn hole is quicker with the dozer but yes sod will be roughed up and is difficult to smooth out unless you have a farm disc. If you do use a dozer leave as much above ground intact as you can, makes it easier to knock out the stump. Cut it up after it is on the ground.
Even if you pay twice as much for an excavator than a dozer it will still be cheaper for the tree removal.

I have done all three. Also I own several tractors, a D5 Cat dozer and a E-120 Cat excavator. I can assure you the excavator is the best tree slayer and stump remover. Don’t waste too much time with the chainsaw. Moving the tree skeletons to the burn hole is quicker with the dozer but yes sod will be roughed up and is difficult to smooth out unless you have a farm disc. If you do use a dozer leave as much above ground intact as you can, makes it easier to knock out the stump. Cut it up after it is on the ground.
Even if you pay twice as much for an excavator than a dozer it will still be cheaper for the tree removal.

Good input, thanks.

Back