Thinking about Chicago...

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Royals and the Cubs are playing a make-up game at Wrigley. Thinking about making a trip up there from KC in a Cessna 175.

Question is, do I plan for MDW or PWK?

MDW, no question. Park at Atlantic, they'll drive to you the 'L. Take the Orange Line to Roosevelt, transfer to the Red Line, and proceed straight to Addison. Midway is a VERY easy airport to get in and out of, and the fuel prices will be offset because you won't need an expensive cab ride.

Does the WX start to get tricky around those parts in early Fall?

MDW, no question. Park at Atlantic, they'll drive to you the 'L. Take the Orange Line to Roosevelt, transfer to the Red Line, and proceed straight to Addison. Midway is a VERY easy airport to get in and out of, and the fuel prices will be offset because you won't need an expensive cab ride.

MDW for sure if you are taking public transit (Orange/Red line, Uber, etc.). This is probably the easiest way. PWK if you plan to rent and drive. This way you'll avoid going directly through the city, where traffic can be very unpredictable.

Ok, not to derail the thread, but I am landing at MDW in an hour (commercial) and need to get to 22 W. Monroe (Theater District). I assumed I would need to take a train and a bus or am I better off calling Uber?

Ok, not to derail the thread, but I am landing at MDW in an hour (commercial) and need to get to 22 W. Monroe (Theater District). I assumed I would need to take a train and a bus or am I better off calling Uber?

Follow the signs to the 'L (I think they say "Public Transit" or something). Take the Orange Line (the only train available at Midway) to the Adams/Wabash stop. Get off, walk north a block to Monroe, walk west a block to State. 22 W Monroe should be just a few doors past State Street on the north side of Monroe.

Follow the signs to the 'L (I think they say "Public Transit" or something). Take the Orange Line (the only train available at Midway) to the Adams/Wabash stop. Get off, walk north a block to Monroe, walk west a block to State. 22 W Monroe should be just a few doors past State Street on the north side of Monroe.

Thanks! That's way easier than I thought it would be

Thanks! That's way easier than I thought it would be

The train is almost always superior to taking a car (taxi/uber/black car) from Midway. Unless you're going at an ungodly early hour, or very late, traffic can be brutal. A cab or uber can get you there faster than the train under the right conditions, but those occur about as often as tailwinds in both directions :)

Heh.. Funny.. We stayed there a couple of weekends ago. Nice place. Not fancy, but well maintained. Access to either the Blue or Red 'L lines less than a block away.

Heh.. Funny.. We stayed there a couple of weekends ago. Nice place. Not fancy, but well maintained. Access to either the Blue or Red 'L lines less than a block away.

It's a wedding and everyone is staying there. I am normally a Marriott guy, but I have some Hilton points.

KC in a Cessna 175.

OK, sorry for turning this thread away from the windy city, but I"d like to hear more about the 175.

Is it a good STOL plane? What's the real world speed and fuel burn? What's economy speed fuel burn?

I've been contemplating one for my unimproved strip so I'm looking for rugged, cheap, powerful, cheap, simple, cheap, STOL, cheap, 4 seats, cheap and the 175 with the extra HP has been on my radar for about a year.

You can send it by PM if you don't want to post info here. I've never flown a 175, but have a little time in an early 172 with the O-300.

The L downtown from MDW is good. Then take the red line L to Wrigley.

Worked perfectly. Thanks

OK, sorry for turning this thread away from the windy city, but I"d like to hear more about the 175.

Is it a good STOL plane? What's the real world speed and fuel burn? What's economy speed fuel burn?

I've been contemplating one for my unimproved strip so I'm looking for rugged, cheap, powerful, cheap, simple, cheap, STOL, cheap, 4 seats, cheap and the 175 with the extra HP has been on my radar for about a year.

You can send it by PM if you don't want to post info here. I've never flown a 175, but have a little time in an early 172 with the O-300.

Our club 175 has an STC'd Franklin 220hp up front so I can't speak to the GO-300. She's similar in size to a 172 but is much heavier in pitch. Roll is about the same so it's a very stable IFR platform. Much closer to a 182 than a 172 (but that might also be due to the big motor). I plan for 130kts and frequently true out at 135kts.

STOL capabilities are very similar to the 172, it's still a Cessna afterall. The biggest difference is that she's heavier and will sink on final if you get slow. So I tend to carry a little power over the fence and drop it in.

I also like the big Johnson Bar flaps like the early 172s you've flown. If you need to slow down in a hurry you can really drop the barn door quickly. But it's a long bar so you really have to bend down to grab it.

I really do like the aircraft a lot. With the Franklin STC it really is a poor man's 182.

Our club 175 has an STC'd Franklin 220hp up front so I can't speak to the GO-300. She's similar in size to a 172 but is much heavier in pitch. Roll is about the same so it's a very stable IFR platform. Much closer to a 182 than a 172 (but that might also be due to the big motor). I plan for 130kts and frequently true out at 135kts.

STOL capabilities are very similar to the 172, it's still a Cessna afterall. The biggest difference is that she's heavier and will sink on final if you get slow. So I tend to carry a little power over the fence and drop it in.

I also like the big Johnson Bar flaps like the early 172s you've flown. If you need to slow down in a hurry you can really drop the barn door quickly. But it's a long bar so you really have to bend down to grab it.

I really do like the aircraft a lot. With the Franklin STC it really is a poor man's 182.

Do you fly out of the club at IXD?

Back