Thinking about becoming a pilot.

Sustra1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
IWTD
Hi, How many flight lessons do you think would be a good idea to take in order to get a sense of what flying is like? I'm trying to figure out if flying is for me or not.

I'd look at the whole package. One or two flights will probably be enough in the air. But the place where most quit isn't the flying, but the ground school and written test. And committing to 50~ish hours of flight training for a private pilot's license. That's a pretty big commitment of cash and time.

One.

Ask for a "discovery flight" at any local flight school. It'll be short (maybe a half an hour in the air?) and relatively cheap and no-obligation.
They should let you take the controls for 90% of the flight.

After that, if you decide to continue training, you can take a few flights with various instructors to "shop around" for a good instructor. But the learning starts on Day One.

One good discover flight is what you need

If you train 2-3 times a week, you should be landing the aircraft (no wonderfully) by lesson 6-9 and solo by lesson 13-17

Just one, around 130pm local time, on a hot windy bumpy day.

Seriously, I think you should do a nice calm discovery flight one early morning or about 90min before sunset. 98% chance you will love it. You'll eventually have that hot bumpy bouncy day...but after you are too far in and too much money to quit LOL!

Kind of a bizarre question...

I knew I was crazy about flying long before I ever took my first flight.

Tim

Back