Thinking about an Oil Derrick

Somewhere there's a picture I took about 15 feet from a momma hippo making about that same facial expression at me in South Africa, would've been 19 years ago this summer. No fences, not that they would've done much good.

Perfect, you've already got hippo experience. Can you have one before the bonfire? I'd like to get a selfie with it.

I'm kinda thinking that I'd like to buy one of those pump jacks to put in my back yard and set it to rocking. It wouldn't have to pump anything. But my neighbors wouldn't have to know that.

Reactions: Ted
Perfect, you've already got hippo experience. Can you have one before the bonfire? I'd like to get a selfie with it.

I do NOT want to know what twisted photoshop thing you want that photo for... :)

I can't find any hippos for sale on Craigslist (which is where I've bought all of the boats, tractors, and semis referenced by @Bill Jennings ), although we do have a large enough pond in back of a suitable size for a hippo to wade in. Since they're not carnivores they'd have to graze the neighboring corn/hay fields rather than eat the coyotes. Or we'd have to buy hay for them, which would get expensive.

I'm kinda thinking that I'd like to buy one of those pump jacks to put in my back yard and set it to rocking. It wouldn't have to pump anything. But my neighbors wouldn't have to know that.

Couldn't find any of those for sale on CraigsList, either.

By the way @bradg33 you planning on a semi drive/ride?

Ted already has an MB.

hangover3_000429_c18.jpg

That's like asking if I plan to eat and breathe that day :)

I know you're big on America and freedom. ;)

Ted already has an MB.

hangover3_000429_c18.jpg

I'm all about giraffes, but as you know my Mercedes is a sedan, not a convertible. It does have a sunroof, though, so that would still work for feeding the giraffe while driving I suppose. Not sure how you train it to duck for crossing under bridges and such.

On the same trip where I got that picture of the hippo I mentioned a few posts above, we almost hit a giraffe. As my friend sitting next to me in the truck put it "I saw a tree, and then saw that the tree was moving. And then I realized that wasn't a tree, it was a giraffe." The driver was fiddling with something and wasn't watching the road. Fortunately he stopped before we hit the giraffe. This was at Kruger National Park.

Yes.

And the seller was going to convert it into a RV until he realized with that ground clearance and overhang, he couldn't drive over railroad grade crossings or pull into parking lot entrances without high-centering!

(or is Kansas really that flat?)

00A0A_7hbCY2ePg3S_1200x900.jpg

Good points there. It's very flat out here, but regardless it's not what I want or need. My needs require a flatbed.

Good points there. It's very flat out here, but regardless it's not what I want or need. My needs require a flatbed.

That's thinking ahead.

If you're always pulling a flatbed around, you can just winch that rattletrap up on top and have someone haul you back home each time that thing locks up and dies on you!

Easy peasy!!

maxresdefault.jpg

That's thinking ahead.

If you're always pulling a flatbed around, you can just winch that rattletrap up on top and have someone haul you back home each time that thing locks up and dies on you!

Easy peasy!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Really it's for pulling our tractors and the like.

I wonder if my Jeep would pull that, seems like a perfect mobile workshop for those of us with airplanes that won't fit in hangars.

Well, you know a guy with a semi, so if you can convince your landlord to let you park it near your plane I could help you get it to the airport. :)

"I drink your milkshake"
-Daniel Plainview

No idea how the mineral rights aspects work in that regard. We do own the land, which I thought meant we owned what was under it, but I could be naive in that regard.

As Dave notes below they're often separated. It'll be in the purchase documents for your property (and will affect valuation).

My mountain property in Virginia the mineral rights did not convey. The closing attorney noted that I could buy them, but they're held by a different party. I should have back then, because the property is on the edge of the Marcelles Shale, which makes it a possible candidate for fracking.

At least in Texas, often the two are separated. I own ss right on some of my land but not the other. It should be listed in....your title/deed (I forget the correct document) - and ours is filed at the county clerk's office.

Should be in the deed. I can't put my hands on a copy of my property deed at the moment to give you the language.

I can't find any hippos for sale on Craigslist (which is where I've bought all of the boats, tractors, and semis referenced by @Bill Jennings ), although we do have a large enough pond in back of a suitable size for a hippo to wade in. Since they're not carnivores they'd have to graze the neighboring corn/hay fields rather than eat the coyotes. Or we'd have to buy hay for them, which would get expensive.

I hear the Cincinnati Zoo has a baby hippo. But I don't think they'll let it come live with you. Probably can't get too close, either, given the Harambe incident.

Let's see if we can up that a notch.

Pimped up pump jacks. With an aviation theme even!

http://weburbanist.com/2010/03/21/10-pimped-pump-jacks-give-the-nod-to-urban-oil-art/#

pumpjacks_4.jpg
pumpjacks_4a.jpg

pumpjacks_8a.jpg

Sadly, I know where most of those are.... or ones just like them.

Back