Thinking about a Kubota

Well I’ve managed to mow once (cut the tall dead weeds down) and re-grade most of the driveway with the box blade so far.

The little beast is impressive. Stalled it once with the scarifiers down on the box blade. Most places say it’ll pull a bigger one but with the tines good and dug into our hard clay and a box full of dirt, 48” is enough. It’d be better if it was wider than the rear tires for angled work but I rarely have to do much of that so, will stick with the old box blade for now.

Just turned 10 hours, so time to check torques on wheel bolts and nuts and a couple other things. Think it’s also finished burping air bubbles from the hydraulic system so it’s a little low and needs a top off. Check oil and hit all the grease zerks. Picked up an electric grease gun. Will give that a shot.

Dealer said the front snowblower came in way early of their estimate of Aug but they knew I didn’t need it yet and were waiting to see if the pallet forks show up. Their lot looked like they sold a few more tractors and hadn’t gotten any replacements in yet. They still have stuff for spring but not as much as they usually keep in inventory.

The green tractor place next door looked equally low.

When I was in MN I just happened to go past a green place and a blue place there and they were much lower in inventory. Made them look weirdly empty. Only got a glance from the Highway, they could have had more in a back or side lot.
I love a box blade! You can easily grade like a pro. If you tilt it, and only put scarifiers down on one side, they'll dig (or re-dig if necessary) a pretty good shallow ditch. If you put the scarifiers all the way down, then shorten your top-link up as much as it will go, the box blade will work the ground like a cultivator. They'll push snow. If you angle them right, you can move a pile of dirt across grass without hardly losing any dirt along the way.

Check coolant and front axle fluids as well. On my BX, both were low after 10 hours of operation and working the air out of the system.

I have a 48 inch box with 4 scarifiers on my BX2380, and I can load the engine pretty heavily if I try with them all the way down. But it always amazes the neighbors how much my little BX is capable of with a little patience and a careful hand on the controls.

Yeah I really should have said “check all fluids” but it’s a good reminder. Being that it’s a cab tractor it even needs the windshield wiper fluid topped off! LOL.

And I noticed the washer fluid pump sprays both the front and back windows. I assume it’s supposed to do that even though there’s a front and rear activation switch for it on each wiper’s toggle but I should probably ask the dealer.

Sounds like we have identical box blades, and yeah, the soft spot snuck up on me or I wouldn’t have stalled it. I wouldn’t normally lug a diesel like that. The road was so hard (dry clay) that the scarifiers needed multiple passes to even get going. Then when they did get going they really got going. Ha.

I’m somewhat surprised folks put bigger box blades on this size tractor. The extra side reach would be nice for the ditches but you would have to be careful not to overload the tractor. I suppose the bigger engine would help with that, but I can do plenty of damage with the lower HP one, fast enough that higher HP would just give me permission to do dumb things, faster.

Kinda like fast airplanes. Could get three minutes behind the tractor real quick with more power. Haha.

“I saw the tractor go by, but Nate’s brain was still back in the garage.” LOL.

I love a box blade! You can easily grade like a pro. If you tilt it, and only put scarifiers down on one side, they'll dig (or re-dig if necessary) a pretty good shallow ditch. If you put the scarifiers all the way down, then shorten your top-link up as much as it will go, the box blade will work the ground like a cultivator. They'll push snow. If you angle them right, you can move a pile of dirt across grass without hardly losing any dirt along the way.

Agreed. That box blade makes me look like I know what I’m doing when it comes to dirt work.

Turn me around and make me use the bucket on the FEL and the laughter from a good operator starts. Ha. I’m damn glad I have the bucket level indicator after playing with it. Haha. Who would have thunk a stupid metal rod could be so useful? :)

I rarely used the box blade on the Ford in reverse push mode because the Ford had chains instead of sway bars on the three point, so it’d flop off to one side a bit — but played with back filling in reverse a bit yesterday. It will move a LOT of dirt running backward — maybe more than intended... haha.

Like my neighbor joked when I said I need more practice at dirt work...

“It’s dirt. If it ended up where you don’t want it, move it again.” Haha.

Anyway truck-eating potholes are gone, the erosion washout at the hill to the county road is filled, and about all I could want is a better way to roll or pack it down.

Clearly it needs another more careful afternoon to remove the long wave humps and then it’s time to call for a couple of tractor trailer loads of 3/4” mix minus. It’s never had proper gravel on it and now that I could finally dig down in it, the gravel never was there... didn’t sink, they just never used enough. Over on the mostly unused part of the driveway circle I can see where they scattered some 1/2” multicolor quartz on it to make it look pretty but that’s not a proper road base.

That steep bank at the county road needs a load of small rip-rap too, after covering it with fabric.

All stuff I always wanted to do but was just a horrible chore on the stick shift tractor... bending over constantly to shift — this thing makes it much more fun to get on with these projects!

Light drizzle now/snow coming tonight. Good to settle this initial road grade in.

Didn’t get a shot before we drove on it a bunch of times with the other vehicles. They’re playing the role of compactor in today’s film. Ha.

Technically it might need some more dirt fill over the culvert — not sure if you can see it there but it isn’t very deep. Concerned if I ever go thru there with the scarifiers down and the road is wetter they’ll reach it and rip a hole in the top of it. But not sure it’s worth building the road up that many inches, rather than just being careful.

dc9dbf2518b2277af5eacb44ccc6560d.jpg

Now as I sit here looking at the photo I am contemplating taking that huge dirt bike jump (zoom way in to the far end of the driveway) out of the road before laying rock and road base.

Quick math says I’d need two big dump trucks of fill dirt to make that a reasonable angle and then another dump truck of rip rap or similar to stabilize the edges down to the ditches.

Hmm. Having a good tractor makes me want to fix that thing correctly instead of constantly screwing around with it. The sides erode of course. Nothing to keep a good hard rain (we don’t get those much) from washing the edges away.

Already going to need 100-120 tons of road base for the road itself without doing that ramp fill in. Maybe more but that would be a start. Probably a belly dump tractor trailer and multiple of them.

Went out and looked at all the neighbors and I’m the only one with a ski jump. LOL. Argh.

Oh well. Knew it was coming for years. Called the local aggregate place and they’re going to call me back with some rough numbers on the road base...

I mean hell, might as well get around to fixing it correctly after seven years... hahaha. Or not. We’ll see how expensive having the right equipment just became. Ha.

Can really see where the low spots are and that I need to crown it properly —
after the snow and melting.

Looking forward to messing with it some more after it dries out a bit.

6f2a7208577243ff9f0d5a40d5401177.jpg

Looks good enough for government work.

LOL! The county road DID look similar today. Ha.

This layer photo shows the four worst spots better. Nice having some standing water to visualize it.

The tire ruts from driving on it wet are an unfortunate side effect of it not packing down yet. But seeing that it needs a better crown, I’ll have fun pulling from the sides to the middle and that’ll fill those in nicely.

It’s clearly reverse humped right now that I can see it wet.

c23af6bebcf58863d9a3ff5c2bcf0bdb.jpg

I’m WAY late to this thread but I’ve been looking at Kubota as well.

When my dad died three years ago I started going out the the farm to help / check on mom every few weeks. She’s on 24 acres. Dad had three tractors: an old JD 1103, an older Long, and an older still International (more of a construction tractor). Every. Single. Time. I went out there and tried to do something with one of the tractors it was some kind of ordeal. Hydraulic leaks, alternator issues, clutch burned out, dead batteries. So I finally decided, I gotta get a new fu&kin’ tractor before I lose my mind.

So now, how big do I go? I’m a bigger is better guy. For comparison, the JD and the Long are both 50hp, so I figure either the Kubota L4701 or the MX54. Would love to get the backhoe attachment, but WAY too expensive. As someone else mentioned, you can rent one a LOT for the money they want for one. I’ve looked at used but there’s none in the hip range I want. Lots of sub-39hp out there but few to no 40+.

Anyway, pretty much decided on the MX54 with loader, box blade and mower. Hope to get it in the next few weeks.

Congrats on the new Kubota Nate!

Anyway, pretty much decided on the MX54 with loader, box blade and mower. Hope to get it in the next few weeks.

Congrats on the new Kubota Nate!

With that much horsepower you can get a lot bigger implements. I found the lineup had a lot of overlap but needed the cab so that chose between the four different possibilities in the identical horsepower range.

MX is a nice machine. Then the hard part becomes the transmission choice and how to set up the hydraulics out the door.

If you haven’t seen ‘em, the Messicks videos are great on YouTube. I watched way too many of them thinking about what to get. Ha. Neil is a sales machine.

Dealer availability was a big deal for me too, as mentioned. I ran across this article about my dealer post-purchase. It explained why my buying process absolutely demolished the green tractor company right next door.

https://www.equipmentworld.com/big-...ership-they-always-wished-they-could-buy-from

They stole it back!

Ha. Okay. No repossessions here.

The front snowblower came in a couple of weeks ago and now it needs the subframe and K hitch installed for that.

Also having them toss the factory rear LED work lights on it I didn’t think I wanted. Turns out I like to run right until dark and then taking implements off would benefit from those.

I could have put cheap ones on the brackets and the wiring is pre-run but the factory ones are great and the kit includes the factory toggle switch for the dash in the cab, so I’ll do the slightly overpriced factory ones.

Looks better that way since we’ll have the thing for years.

Love the thing so far. Dealer driver showed me how to get the front end loader on and off the easy way this morning. Very cool. A little know how to get the kickstands down easily and the weight off the pins using the bucket curl and voila - then uncurl and lift and the cylinders shorten up and it essentially removes itself. Super easy.

Hardest part is finding a nice level spot and centering the nose of the tractor in the arms when driving back up to it later.

Guy did say don’t bother trying to take it off with pallet forks on... or nothing on the FE. Put the bucket on and make your life easy. Bucket does a perfect job of walking it on and off.

So... in general tractor news... they’re still having bad supply side issues.

Of all silly things the pallet forks with the skid steer attachment plate are in short supply. I’m sure glad we ordered this thing when we did. They thought maybe my forks might arrive this week while it’s there for the snowblower work.

He said the lot is still empty for their usual stock levels and random stuff arrives every so often. Sounds like it seriously sucks going into spring season. Sell whatever you can get in.

Some interesting side effects of that stuff not arriving...

The final paperwork with Kubota can’t be completed without serial numbers in their computer system — computers make everything great, right? — so it’s literally been forced back to a paper system including paper check payments. Hilarious... at least to this computer guy.

The dealer said Kubota is literally dropping money into a payment slush fund and tracking who paid what manually — until all implements on any particular order have arrived and been accepted by the customers — then he said “Probably a good idea to keep copies of your check images for when they finally process it all... just send your checks and a payment coupon.”

Normally that’s just the first payment then you set up whatever you like in the website. The website still says I don’t exist.

No big deal but it’s fascinating how much the implement supply problems broke their computer system.

I bet any insurance claims during that “purchased but nothing in the computer system” state must be quite entertaining... for everyone involved. I’ll try to avoid that.

Anyway the tractor runs great. Got about 15 hours on it now. Totally spoiled with the heat and AC for sure. And the stupid quick hitch. No idea why I never added one of those to the old one.

There will be some grass that needs mowed by the time they bring it back.

Will figure out where I’m going to store the snowblower for summer and put the FEL back on after learning how to unhitch the blower. Back should be in okay shape to crawl under it and get the mid-PTO disconnected by then. If I can get the garage clean out started maybe I can build a dolly for the blower so it can just be rolled out of the way in the garage.

Some stuff will be ready to mow by the time it comes back and then I’ll get the box blade back on it and finish up the road work. Bring on the rock loads...

Tons of fun and it’s quite a piece of gear.

Was contemplating selling the ZTR and using the proceeds to pick up a small offset angleable flail mower or sickle bar for the couple of steep slopes near the county road. Interesting options out there — assuming any of those vendors can actually get things in stock right now...

Technically if I do that, I’ll need the second rear remote... one for side reach and one for angle... hmmm.

It never ends does it? Haha. Toys.

Already experiencing tractor withdrawal.

I guess I’ll just have to work on the paperwork for the Toyota Avalon and such. We wrote the check for that yesterday. Deal with the title and sale and insurance and such... and the hooptie fleet gets bigger... again... I couldn’t resist. It’s in immaculate shape and averaged 6500 miles a year...

Big boring comfy Toyota couch on wheels. Haha.

Disconnect the mid-PTO? Our MMM always just slid off of the yoke once you removed the quick-attach levers at front and rear. The snowblower could be different, but I'd think it wouldn't need any thing else unless there's pin/bolt on the yoke that needs to be removed.

Disconnect the mid-PTO? Our MMM always just slid off of the yoke once you removed the quick-attach levers at front and rear. The snowblower could be different, but I'd think it wouldn't need any thing else unless there's pin/bolt on the yoke that needs to be removed.

This is the front snowblower. So there’s a small shaft from the mid PTO to the front for it.

Doesn’t look difficult to deal with. Just get it up lined up with their K hitch thing on the front and pin it on, then connect the shaft underneath back to the mid PTO and plug in the hydraulic line for aiming the chute and raising and lowering it.

Not something you’d want to do every day but once a season, take the FEL off and stick the blower on the front in the fall and swap in spring.

I'd really love one of the front snowblowers on my BX, but Kubota sure is attached to them. Once we move to the acreage, I'll have to decide whether we need a front or rear blower.

I'd really love one of the front snowblowers on my BX, but Kubota sure is attached to them. Once we move to the acreage, I'll have to decide whether we need a front or rear blower.
I really could have done rear just fine until Karen said she wanted to be able to operate it. She doesn't back anything up well. Lol

Easier on and off too. This thing will be a twice a year pain in the butt, but Kubota did their best to make it as easy as they could needing to hang a beefy hitch box on a subframe.

Damn that’s fun. Busted ZTR for scale. Ha.
cbb5d404f52627b9e90be40ccaa88891.jpg

bd3bbc5d3c71df3894a15e5d2b131d66.jpg

d558c56c6bc5e3b9eed68ace143b6f98.jpg

A tad of adventure learning to get the rest of the snowblower subframe off and the loader back on.

Also nice to see Kubota added this hot plate to the subframe that stays on the tractor for the blower. Common online complaint is that exhaust soots up the left rear of the bucket or the snowblower real bad.

7ea6a26acf3c7b831a0a31903837109c.jpg

Ok my back is done with bouncy bouncy for today. Rest tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Tornado warning was that storm directly ahead to the right which is looking East, from the cab. Heh. Listened to it in the cab on the NOAA band of the radio. :)

Raining today. Mowed anyway. Totally spoiled. Windshield wipers and heat with Ac to dry out the cab? Ha. This is a completely different world for me. Haha.

It doesn't quite fit the garage with the forks on. Lol 20210530_170645_HDR.jpg
8033f05ca004df5761945074a8768429.jpg

Went with my father to pick up an early-2000s Kubota B7500 with FEL/box blade this weekend. He just needs something smaller than the L3130 for his few acres around the house. He messaged me this morning that he already had to put it to use when he got the zero turn stuck in mud, lol. Purchase justified.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Went with my father to pick up an early-2000s Kubota B7500 with FEL/box blade this weekend. He just needs something smaller than the L3130 for his few acres around the house. He messaged me this morning that he already had to put it to use when he got the zero turn stuck in mud, lol. Purchase justified.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
It's invredibly cool to have the right tools around the property. I have no idea why I didn't do this sooner other than being cheap.

Worked her all weekend. Almost time for her initial 50 hour spa day. (Break in oil change at 50 hours.) Hosed her off afterward and cleaned the A/C filter.

"Runway" is mowed if anyone wants to try missing the power lines. And the barn. And the house across the road. And the fence. And...
b74e1e91f49f4561b815038f6e37deca.jpg
e007143a0027f4caffeaf8e9f50f129b.jpg
4f86d0cfe00fd199dc7fb78f0e976f8f.jpg
b9fee91d8d1c4198730d975200a44696.jpg

Delivery day! Karen looks good on that thing!

Me, not so much.

611e882709a3d9033a7304d32afaf5a9.jpg

d60b9fb0b13d4da17d4d4e6b93d1370b.jpg

bebf15491bab023311feda5a662c5b88.jpg
You will love it .
I have 4 Kubotas. 1 tractor with loader ,mower and rototiller. 1 Zero turn mower , 1 regular riding mower and a RTV. All quality equipment . The riding mower is 20 years old. Hydrostat. Only had to replace mower belt once.
Only mower the wife couldn't wear out .

Back