Thinking about a home security system

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
But I have no real knowledge. It isn’t that we’re in an unsafe area, but I’m traveling more these days.

why do I want or not want one?

Unless you have local monitoring, they are more hassle than they are worth, primarily because it’s a subscription service.

Then you may need a local permit. And false alarm fees may be in your future.

I've lived in three houses with alarm systems. Only one required a permit and that was trivial to obtain (more of a registration than anything else). That jurisdiction also threatened false alarm fees after the second. Only had one in the years I had it. In my current area, I'm on pretty good terms with the local sheriff's deputies and they don't seem to sweat the false alarms. It's also wired up to the waterflow alarm for my home sprinkler system. Of course, I'm the only one in this county that has a dedicated sprinkler system. The fire marshall had us test it by opening the test valve, letting the alarms go off, having the central station call the fire department, and listening to the trucks being dispatched over the radio (before he called in and cancelled it). Sort of an end-to-end test.

The only problem is that my local company has been bought out twice, the last time by Briggs which is a complete disaster of a company.

Here’s my take on it. You can install cameras and motion sensors (Wyze makes nice ones) to alert you when something happens when you’re away. Eventually you’ll turn most of it off so you don’t get annoyed with alerts constantly. It’s pretty nice when you’re away, though. The recording and alerting will cost you a few bucks a year. It’s not going to call 911 if your house gets broken into, but in most areas that wouldn’t do much anyway because response times are so slow.

The video probably won’t do anything for you but let you know when your stuff got taken. Thieves are stupid, but generally not so stupid that they don’t wear hoods and masks when they steal your stuff because EVERYONE has cameras now.

My thought process is that it makes your home slightly less attractive than your neighbor who does not have a system. And if they do enter and hear the alarm, they may spend less time in your house.
So I think it reduces the odds and potential damage a little bit.

Here’s my take on it. You can install cameras and motion sensors (Wyze makes nice ones) to alert you when something happens when you’re away. ...
I have a Wyze camera and while it works, there are issues with activation--seems to take at least 5 seconds for the camera to start recording. I get great videos of my feet as I walk away. The camera starts recording people approaching long after they enter the frame. Downloading video to my iPad or Android phone is supposed to be possible, but it has never worked. I am forced to take photos of the paused video to transfer any data out of the Wyze ecosystem. At the time they also did not have a monolithic, downloadable, User Manual. They had an online FAQ. You basically had to know the right question to ask, which is difficult when you are new to the system. Study their website closely and join their "community" to ask questions before committing.

Wyze is better than nothing, and I had planned on expanding the system, but I am going to ditch it and try Arlo. Arlo has a much more expensive initial capital outlay, but it appears to be a MUCH more mature system and the continuing costs are similar.

If you truly want to increase the security of your property, put motion activated lights all around, have multiple internal lights on timers, leave a radio or television on while away, label all doors with security stickers and a sign reading "Smile you're on camera." EVERY window should have a security sticker on it.

Lastly, consider joining nextdoor.com for your area. The GUI is a little primitive and non-intuitive, but joining your area's safety group will get you crime and attempted crime reports from other residents.

Last edited:
My thought process is that it makes your home slightly less attractive than your neighbor who does not have a system. And if they do enter and hear the alarm, they may spend less time in your house.
So I think it reduces the odds and potential damage a little bit.

Dummy signs and fake cameras have a deterrent effect too. I think a reasonable approach is to use dummy cameras and signs as deterrent and a couple of interior cameras with recording and intercom capabilities to record and/or threaten any unwanted visitors. An alarm siren is good too.

But I don’t believe monitored alarms are worth the expense.

I have SimpliSafe and like it. It works off cell phone instead of a land line. I am in the process of replacing the sensors from opening the window/door alerts to smash alerts. It also has, if I so desire, smoke alarm, freeze warning and water leak warning.

I have had one false alarm in the last 9 years because the motion sensor fell off the wall...

Local problem, it took the sheriffs department 45 minutes to show up. As explained to me, they don't have time to show up for false alarms. I asked if he had time to pick up his paycheck, and he gave me the stink eye.

Seems more and more LE agencies are refusing to respond to home alarms.

Had a guy attempt to break in a while back while we were home (and had windows open so he could hear us). He only ended up entering one of our garages and did not take anything but it was pretty spooky. Police took it very seriously and sent out a lot of officers and detectives to collect evidence but the guy was never caught.

I have since added more cameras and more security features.

Had ADT for many years. My Ring cams on the exterior alert me before anyone can get to the house so I cancelled ADT. Ring makes full-blown interior packages with or without monitoring. With the reliability of their texting me alerts I don’t need the monitoring service. I’m building another house and it’ll use Ring cams, too. I’m very pleased. FWIW I have Wyze cams in the hangar. For my money Ring is far better. Better cams, better app.

What species? Lab. Retriever. Airedale?

Although the sound of a pump-action shotgun being racked in the darkness is right up there.

yeah, right. rack the shotgun and you've just ejected a live round.

or am I confused about how pump-action shotguns work?

You can tell someone that you are prepared to shoot them, and they might believe you, or not.

You rack a shotgun, and they know, not only you can shoot them, but you do not have a trifling .22 plinker. The sacrifice of one of your shells is cheap, the fight is over. Even if they have a handgun, most crooks realize that people do not die instantly if shot with handguns, but a shot gun is instantly devastating, they are going to die, no matter where they are hit. The most likely response is turning and fleeing.

I had such an experience in the Army. I had my M1 Garand pointed at the thief, he said he would take it away from me and "Knock my block off", as guards did not have ammunition. I cycled the bolt, a cartridge bounced on the pavement, and he surrendered. One unfired cartridge was all I needed.

My category of guard did carry ammunition. He pled guilty of theft of government property, lost a stripe, and the privilege of owning an automobile. He may have also lost some money, but that was not visibly apparent. The Article 16 was completed within12 hours of his capture, I did not testify, he cut the best deal he could to avoid a full court martial. Present value of the stolen property is $6,000.

I think everyone recognizes the sound of a shotgun racking, so pump shotguns are better than double barrel or automatic, but the auto does make a fair amount of noise, just not as distinctive.

Remember, the goal is to avoid the crime taking place, and a trip to court to prove that you were acting in self defense.

The emotions are a powerful force, and the thought of a 12 guage load hitting stirs great fear.

Last edited:
I still think some of the home-security systems could add a speaker unit with the shotgun-racking sound as something you could remotely trigger.

That creeper video is spooky AF. I've been on the fence about cameras (and we're in a pretty chilled part of the bay, crime-wise) but this might tip me over the edge. Time to run some more POE cat6.

I still think some of the home-security systems could add a speaker unit with the shotgun-racking sound as something you could remotely trigger.

That creeper video is spooky AF. I've been on the fence about cameras (and we're in a pretty chilled part of the bay, crime-wise) but this might tip me over the edge. Time to run some more POE cat6.

Yeah, it definitely spooked us. And we are in a very low crime part of the bay too in general (Atherton/Woodside) but break ins do occur.

This is when he entered one of my garages.

Place some signs on the doors that read - "This door locked for your protection"

If someone has entered the home without an invite & by force there should be no expectation of being able to reason with them. They have already committed a very serious crime.

No sane person has any desire to harm anyone. If criminals have no desire to be harmed then don't enter any house by force and/or without being invited to do so. If the guard dog don't chew your groin out then the possibility of being dealt with by the angry homeowner becomes real ...

Where do your ring cam store video @Stewartb amd for how long (hours, days etc.)?

where do you have them other than the door bell?
The app provides 6 months of storage for each camera. Any motion event sends me a text and all events are highlighted in the history.

I use hard wired flood light cams. The app allows me to program light times and intensity and it does dusk to dawn automatically by location. Each cam has a siren and allows me to talk to and listen to whoever is there with simple controls on the app screen. I can scare moose out of the garden easily. The active area is user set so I don’t get alerts for the wind in the trees.

@Stewartb you installed them yourself? Hardwired for power, network or both?

Our ADT nest cam is wonky with our Wi-Fi. Usually works but sometimes . . . No.
And I'd rather have multiple cameras and lights front side and back.

I attached where I had exterior floods. The cam feed is wifi and easy to connect the cams. With the hangar attached I already had a Netgear Orbi with satellites, so wifi signal wasn’t an issue.

My ADT cams were very unreliable. I had a signal booster that ADt provided and I had to unplug -replug constantly. Not much use when away from home.

My parents use Arlo cameras on their exterior and shop building. Total of 5 cameras I believe (covering all doorway entrances). They have decent video and wifi connections are very good despite only having one access point in the middle of a 3,800sq ft house. Motion alerts are solid and has decent night vision as well. Only downside is that their application had no power to the cameras, so they have to connect them to the charger every few months to charge the batteries back up, but it seems to last long enough that it's not too inconvenient. If they were to build a new home, I'd have Cat5 run to the corners and doorway locations to run a camera system with power over ethernet.

Had a guy attempt to break in a while back while we were home (and had windows open so he could hear us). He only ended up entering one of our garages and did not take anything but it was pretty spooky. Police took it very seriously and sent out a lot of officers and detectives to collect evidence but the guy was never caught.

I have since added more cameras and more security features.

Terrible and even if caught the penalty is very minor, unfortunately. How do contributing members to society change this so that these types, who just steal, receive harsh penalties. Too little police presence and a lack of care, it will only get worse unfortunately. Like the other poster said, don’t have the most appealing house on the block, that’s all you can do.

Had ADT for many years. My Ring cams on the exterior alert me before anyone can get to the house so I cancelled ADT. Ring makes full-blown interior packages with or without monitoring. With the reliability of their texting me alerts I don’t need the monitoring service. I’m building another house and it’ll use Ring cams, too. I’m very pleased. FWIW I have Wyze cams in the hangar. For my money Ring is far better. Better cams, better app.

Yet you are not awake 24 hours a day to handle the intruder. That is the only issue.

If I feel the need to be awakened? I won’t silence my phone. So far we’ve managed just fine. My best defense is a trigger-happy neighbor!

I also had an incident, the police were worthless. I had to argue to get evidence technicians out to fingerprint, interview neighbors, get all CCTV footage, take photos, etc. I was disgusted at the whole process. If you ever do something bad, keep your mouth shut, nothing can be proved unless you admit to it, everything else can have an excuse…

I ended up practically solving the case for them, it was a nightmare, the questions and lack of movement is ridiculous. You are expected to do all of the grunt work when you experience an issue, police only want cases delivered on a silver platter and usually that means a confession without an excuse to remove criminal liability. In the end, they are giving probation for breaking and entering and damage to property. I expected the death penalty. Guess there are two sides to the coin.

Get a trained guard dog and a turret. If you have a gun, practice using it and have a plan of action with your family members.

Why do you want video of you being victimized?

The police don’t care, I wouldn’t spend the money, you’re already going to have to pay for your stolen stuff or insurance deductible and increased premiums, why also pay for a security system vs saving that to pay for being a victim?

Last edited:
For intimidation it's hard to beat a pizzed-off Doberman.

View attachment 112589

Plus they're pretty good for making friends.

View attachment 112590

They’ll still take your TV, but after your dog rightfully bites Mr “didn’t do nuffin’” and “turning his life around” he just might also end up owning your home too and garnishing your wages

Why do you want video of you being victimized?

Depends on where you live. For those in large cities with higher crime, the burglaries may just be another annoyance with little hope for recourse. Understaffed and overburdened agencies may not do much when a break-in occurs. But, some communities do parade an image of a local thief onto social media or the local news so someone can rat on them. Can be effective. I’ll take an image or video along with an alert of nefarious activity or a crime, rather than discovering something after the fact. At least one can try to get a police response started when a notification goes off on the phone when away from the house.

...Seems more and more LE agencies are refusing to respond to home alarms.
This is what happens when police are vilified and defunded. As others have said, burglars get out the same day they are arrested--if arrested at all. If you were a cop and saw prosecutors releasing perpetrators on personal recognizance regardless of the length of their rap sheets, you may question whether it is worth the effort.

Yeah, it definitely spooked us. And we are in a very low crime part of the bay too in general (Atherton/Woodside) but break ins do occur.

This is when he entered one of my garages.
What's the red car?

Just put some fake blinking read lights around the outside. The crooks are too stupid to know they aren't real.

Too much reliance on IT, the crook can go online and order your utilities to be shut off or disconnect the internet either cutting the cord or using a WiFi device jammer. They also wear a mask and doesn’t really matter if they picked your place you’re screwed.

You must live in a location where there are sophisticated criminals that have specific and valuable goods or high value homes they are targeting. The average drug-money hungry burglar in much of the country won’t get to this level.

Too much reliance on IT, the crook can go online and order your utilities to be shut off or disconnect the internet either cutting the cord or using a WiFi device jammer. They also wear a mask and doesn’t really matter if they picked your place you’re screwed.
Calling utility companies? WiFi jammer? What kind of elite criminals do you have?!

The stuff I've seen in Tulsa usually involves a drugged-up high school drop out looking for anything they can smash and grab in a few minutes or less.

They’ll still take your TV, but after your dog rightfully bites Mr “didn’t do nuffin’” and “turning his life around” he just might also end up owning your home too and garnishing your wages

Step 1 is selecting where to reside. It's best to avoid places like the PRNJ or the PRK.

Around here, if your dog tears the hide off a burglar, the deputies will pat him on the head, say "Good puppy!" and toss him a couple of dog biscuits. If you shoot the intruder, your biggest problem will probably be deciding what to wear to the banquet where they hand you your good citizen award.

Back