Thinking about a franchise

I don't want my morning interrupted by the delivery of a processed crap continental breakfast.

Good news! We don't knock. The breakfast you ordered the night before is in a sealed basket outside your door, by 7 AM.

Better yet, you can sleep till noon, and it will still be there. No rushing down to the lobby to grab some picked-over stale bakery by 9 AM.

Make a 12-cup pot (none of those infernal 2-up pots in our hotels) of Wolfgang Puck coffee, or perhaps some tea. Eat breakfast in your room, or take the basket to the pool. Or even to the beach! Relax...you're on island time!

Everything is done to your specs, at your speed. It's...wonderful!
:)

Sounds nice. If I ever get to Texas, my girlfriend and I will call ahead. :)

Hey in case you didn't notice it this thread is about potentially purchasing a franchise, NOT the benefits of key cards vs. metal keys! Give it up folks!:rolleyes2:

Hey in case you didn't notice it this thread is about potentially purchasing a franchise, NOT the benefits of key cards vs. metal keys! Give it up folks!:rolleyes2:
True that! ;)

The benefit to the OP (of this thread's somewhat ridiculous tangent) is that it illustrates the incredible number of choices every business owner makes -- and how buying a franchise takes care of many of those decisions by making them for you.

A restaurant parallel: Do we leave condiments on the table, or do we bring them with the meal? Different franchises dictate different methods, with some requiring ketchup on every table, while some forbid it.

This subtle, seemingly irrelevant choice is just one of the bazillion rules every franchise imparts on its franchisees.

In our case, we opted out of the chain motels because we disagreed with many of their mandates, which, in our opinion, were made for the benefit of the franchise at the expense of the customer. YMMV.

Bottom line: Starting a small business involves many hundreds of decisions up front, any one of which can have a huge influence on your success. Plan carefully.

I want to thank everyone for their ideas, wisdom and comments. I've been watching and learning a lot from this thread.

I make what many would consider a really decent salary, but I'm not building -wealth-. Yes, I'm tired of software, but mostly I'm tired of needing someone to give me a job.

Lots to think about.

Thanks. :)

I want to thank everyone for their ideas, wisdom and comments. I've been watching and learning a lot from this thread.

I make what many would consider a really decent salary, but I'm not building -wealth-. Yes, I'm tired of software, but mostly I'm tired of needing someone to give me a job.

Lots to think about.

You should be investing on a monthly basis in a retirement account (IRA or 401k) first. Fund it with your salary you now earn. Invest in a diversified portfolio of mutual funds.

Then, you need a "discretionary" investment account, savings in excess of what is required in your retirement account. With this account, you get the capital to buy into opportunities that present themselves.

Opportunities that come along may include a business start up (You can write code? There are lots of start ups.), a real estate opportunity, or a chance to invest in someone else's business. But, you have to have the funds at the time opportunity comes knocking.

(And, you have to do a bunch of soul-searching to see what role you want to play in your wealth creation. Lots of people have made money on real estate, but, personally, I can't stand being a landlord. I much prefer being a boss to being a landlord. Just how I am wired. And, I prefer to be an investor/consultant to being a boss.)

You should be investing on a monthly basis in a retirement account (IRA or 401k) first. Fund it with your salary you now earn. Invest in a diversified portfolio of mutual funds.

Then, you need a "discretionary" investment account, savings in excess of what is required in your retirement account. With this account, you get the capital to buy into opportunities that present themselves.

Opportunities that come along may include a business start up (You can write code? There are lots of start ups.), a real estate opportunity, or a chance to invest in someone else's business. But, you have to have the funds at the time opportunity comes knocking.

(And, you have to do a bunch of soul-searching to see what role you want to play in your wealth creation. Lots of people have made money on real estate, but, personally, I can't stand being a landlord. I much prefer being a boss to being a landlord. Just how I am wired. And, I prefer to be an investor/consultant to being a boss.)

Good advice. I've been debt free for 15 years or more. Paid cash for the airplane. Bernanke succeeded in one aspect I guess... if I could have made 5% on the airplane money it'd still be in CDs. I do have an investment account (thinkorswim is freakin' awesome) and this perma-bear has been sitting out the bull**** fed induced levition in the markets for 6+ years. The last few days have been awesome (SPY front month puts... cha-ching). When their thumb isn't on the scale, I like value investing... fundamentals, etc. Can't do that when the fed is loaning money to their buddies, and since I don't understand it, I don't trade it. S'ok... I have a feeling we're about to reset. :)

Yes, I'm building my own investment fund as it were. But what to invest in...

And you are welcome to stay away. I don't care. :)

We have grown double digits for 5 straight years. The people who appreciate what and how we do things come back again and again.

Growing "double digits" should not be confused with having the correct business model. Lots of industries have prospered under the last 5 years of the Obama administration after recovering from the depths of the last throes of the Bush/Cheney regime.

Your fancy pewter keychain does nothing to benefit the customer. It is your "quirk" and you get satisfaction from it, and, you get the opportunity to lose a repeat customer when you charge them $30 for replacing a bauble.

It is ok that you like fancy pewter keychains. Your hotel.

We all grew up quite happily with these keychains:
il_570xN.819113209_8woq.jpg

Now we are happier with cardlocks. Plus, I can always find a stack of the cardkeys in my PU door that I can use to scrape windows when I can't find my regular window scraper.

img_2596.jpg

Let me see you try that with a fancy pewter airplane...

And, for the record, I don't like hotels/motels that charge me a $250 non-smoking deposit, given that I don't smoke. And would have no opportunity to refute the charge if their maid claimed I smoked in the room as I would be 200 miles away by the time the room is cleaned.

Growing "double digits" should not be confused with having the correct business model. Lots of industries have prospered under the last 5 years of the Obama administration after recovering from the depths of the last throes of the Bush/Cheney regime.

And, for the record, I don't like hotels/motels that charge me a $250 non-smoking deposit, given that I don't smoke. And would have no opportunity to refute the charge if their maid claimed I smoked in the room as I would be 200 miles away by the time the room is cleaned.

As for your first point, boy, I could not agree more. Every time we travel, we marvel at the proliferation of McHotels. Mile after mile of Hampton Inns, Holiday Inns, Super 8s...all apparently doing well.

To which we always ask "Why travel?" Why on God's green earth would you go to the bother of traveling across the country, only to get the exact, same experience you could have had at the nearest freeway interchange?

For us, the joy of travel is DIFFERENCE, not sameness. We love finding the locally owned boutique hotels, and locally owned restaurants and bars that give each region it's flavor and texture. The thought of staying in or eating at a chain when we are on vacation makes us gag.

Yet we see it all the time. People will drive 600 miles, only to stay at a Travelodge and eat at Whataburger. IMHO, they are missing at least half of what makes our island cool and unique.

Of course, half the country voted for BHO not once, but twice, so what do I know? Suffice it to say that few people have ever gone broke by underestimating the American public. With enough marketing muscle you can sell Americans poop by calling it cocoa.

As for your last point, if the hotel doesn't have proof, you can protest that charge. The only time we charge $200 for smoking, we have irrefutable, iron clad proof, both photographic and physical.

Lots to think about.

Just a side note. What you want is what my dad referred to as a "f-you" savings account, when you work in a relatively lucrative job that tends toward being the type of thing where you have to work for someone else.

IT jobs that pay well tend to be one of two things: Very good company, fairly large, that will pay top performers what they're worth... Or a startup/small business that's paying in equity. Most of the rest are in the middle of the pay bands for the same work.

If working for the former or a small place you've been smart enough to say "I don't do equity, cash is king", build a savings account that will cover at least a year of expenses or know which investments you can liquidate without tax penalties if needed.

If the stupidity gets too high, you have no qualms about walking away then. And, in day to day decisions about your job and what you'll be doing, you aren't beholden to whatever whims the occasional bad manager or other problem child in the workplace has decided they want you to do. Do what you know is right for the company, communicate why, and if they fire you, consider it for the best.

You aren't worried about eating next month, or even the whole next year.

Buying a business isn't freedom. Frugal living and a big savings account are. "F-you money" is the way to go in IT. Especially when the mergers and acquisitions start.

You'll either be seen as a straight-shooter with their head on straight, while everyone else is freaking out about "maybe being laid off", or you'll know nearly immediately that the new owners don't match your style or whatever, and have plenty of time to start feeling around for a new gig.

Having savings is always a good thing fiscally of course, but make it significant and turn it into a secret weapon available at any time to maintain your sanity. It's the only way to play the employee game.

And pay off ALL the debt first, so if you exercise the option, there aren't any monthly bills. Debt is modern slavery. Spend less, save more, be free. Call your savings account that you can't touch your "freedom account" if you have to. Convince yourself that you and your freedom are worth more than whatever trinket or thing you want to buy that you saw on TV.

When the debt is paid off and then you look at the savings account you built that would have handled a year of expenses, you realize it'll handle three.

Just my $0.00 worth of advice. Live like you make much less than you do. Be the guy with a 20 year old pickup truck who could buy the other guy's Porche with $100 bills.

Software engineering ranges from $50K-to well over $100K depending on what you're doing and where. Actively target the top of the range and live on half of it. You'll have a nice "f-you" fund in no time.

As far as "wealth" building goes, or equity investments...

Have a few friends who wanted to build equity. They invested in other people's bars and restaurants. The first bar was three twenty-something's who needed capital to renovates failed coffee shop into a bar four blocks from the baseball stadium. Location, location, location. They made enough money on that to start three restaurants.

Wasn't the exact same investors in all four businesses, different people had different ideas, but the core group that busted butt and built the first bar was always involved. Very critical to have excellent people. Way more critical than quite a few other business decisions and problems mentioned.

Also read up on the rules on angel investing and see just how flush you have to be to even legally participate. Your goal is to be significantly higher than that number if you want to invest in very risky and very lucrative stuff. Easy to get taken in that world. Lots of sharks. But for now, your goal is to even be able to play.

There's thoughts for ya from lunch hour in my 14 year old truck. :)

Back