Thinking about a dual sport/adventure Motorcycle

That's the thing. Even for riding dirt roads the dual sport bikes mentioned by Steingar and others are going to be far better than buying a heavy street bike that is marketed as being an adventure bike.

Something like a WR250, CRF250L, CRF450L, DRZ400, DR650, etc. would be much more enjoyable for those types of rides than the street bikes being tossed around in here. You already have plenty of street bikes, why buy another one that essentially will fill the same gap?

That's why I kinda like the TW200 recommendation. Older dirt bike type that's a bit weird, and thus fits Ted. The only problem is that it's Japanese, but to be honest it's been a LONG time since the Japanese weren't the dominant dirt bike/dual sport suppliers.

As I said in the first post (and elsewhere), while having the 11 acres to explore is fun enough, the real use is for on-road riding and something that I don't mind taking on the gravel/dirt roads. Around here, there are a lot of those - I'd say that they make up more of the backroads than paved roads. Something that's not street legal would have very limited use for me - I don't generally just go in circles around the property, and if I do, it's with the kids in the go kart.

@mondtster said it right. The Ted already has lots of street bikes. Now if the Ted is looking for another street bike and wants to justify the acquisition by getting something that can do dirt, fine. But if the real motivation is to do dirt but be able to street the thing, then a duro bike is the weapon of choice. Had I a hunk of land I'd have one for certain, they're a blast. Dirt riding is totally different from street riding, more immediate and less strategic. And I bet there are lots of trails where the Ted lives. The only thing that would make me want to live in the country is the ability scream around trails on a dirt bike. They really are fun. Of course, any of this stuff is a nonstarter for me. Too inseam challenged. Thankfully the Ted doesn't suffer in that particular department.

If it were me, I'd try to pick up an old Honda Trail 90. Or even a current Honda Wave type scooter with full size wheels and pegs. Those are surprisingly agile and practical on trails, gravel and dirt roads. They are a staple in SE Asia. You don't really need a lot of power for dirt riding. They are too slow for the highway or freeway though, if that is a requirement.

If it were me, I'd try to pick up an old Honda Trail 90.

Dude, I totally LUST for a Honda Monkey.

2000000014.jpg

180724jwdr_27679a.jpg

Riding dirt and trials has made me a much better rider overall. If the plan is mostly dirt with a way to legally get from trail to trail, a dual sport is the way to go. Anything from a 250-450 (as mentioned above, more power is not always helpful in the dirt). Honestly, my 350 is way more than I need for trails but it's nice to be able to go the speed limit on the road. Sometimes I have more fun on my wife's TTR125 than my KTM! ADV bikes are more for touring with bags (although the KLR and KTMs are much better on dirt). If you're going off pavement, get appropriate tires. The street-oriented ADV bikes tend to have street-oriented tires. When I did the AZ BDR, there was no way anyone was going to make it without knobbies.

If you really want to have fun, get yourself a trials bike!
20190224_175338 (Medium).jpg

While I appreciate the offer, at this point I think my son is better off trying to hurt himself in the go kart and on his bicycle, we'll get into giving him opportunities to hurt himself on a motorcycle later. ;)

Make sure he gets lots of seat time in that kart. When you start entering the racecar in enduros you'll need a co-driver.

:D

Reactions: Ted
That's why I kinda like the TW200 recommendation. Older dirt bike type that's a bit weird, and thus fits Ted. The only problem is that it's Japanese, but to be honest it's been a LONG time since the Japanese weren't the dominant dirt bike/dual sport suppliers.

If he wanted something old and interesting a real Triumph (from Meriden) trophy trail might scratch the itch.

But I agree, a TW or any old Japanese enduro bike would probably fit Ted and get what he wants to do done.

KTM 690 Enduro R. WELL UNDER 400 LBS, 75 HP, traction control and ABS for street mode, yet truly "ready to race" in the dirt. All these yahoo's talking about DR's and TW's probably fly weedhoppers too. KTM's rule, been riding them for many years, maintenance no different than any other bike, but they use modern technology. My god, folks complaining about 1950's tech on our aircraft recommending DR's, sheesh!

Dude, I totally LUST for a Honda Monkey.

2000000014.jpg

180724jwdr_27679a.jpg

That is basically a rebranded Honda 50. A friend in High School had both a Trail 50 and a Trail 70. I bought his Trail 70. The 50 was physically too small for me.

That is basically a rebranded Honda 50. A friend in High School had both a Trail 50 and a Trail 70. I bought his Trail 70. The 50 was physically too small for me.

The new ones that Bill posted are not 50s though. They're Groms with old Z50 esque bodywork on them and a higher price tag to go along with it.

The new ones that Bill posted are not 50s though. They're Groms with old Z50 esque bodywork on them and a higher price tag to go along with it.

I'm aware of that, the frame is still too small for my taste. I get the attraction, but if it was a little bigger, like a Trail 70 size, I'd be all over it like honey on a bear paw.

Please, before you decide, do listen to the TW200 Podcast that I recommended…..a lot to recommend it for what you’re asking.
A strong community of support and aftermarket mods.
People here are offering much SILLIER suggestions here of late.

Last edited:
Sounds like you don’t need more than a 250-300cc Dualsport to satisfy your requirements. Anything bigger tends to weigh a lot more and less weight off-road is a good thing. I bought a Kawasaki KLX250S a couple years ago and am quite satisfied with it. It goes anywhere I need it to go and is dead reliable (very important). It has a 75 mph top speed and does highways OK so getting to the trails is no problem. I put 13,000 miles on it in two years, half of that off-road. Before that I owned a DR350S but got tired of kicking it to life. Lesson learned.
I’d stay away from the cheap Chinese junk because reliability off-road is very important. I’d avoid them for that reason alone. Also, while the KTM’s are nice, I believe in your case purchasing one would be overkill. You want a bike for exploring, not racing.
Going off-road is great fun and takes even more skill and concentration than road riding, which is one of the reasons I’m liking riding my KLX even more than my Road King. Call me crazy but that’s the way I see it!

Although not Ted, I'm also thinking of a dual sport, but want to keep it somewhat economocal and reliable. I'm wanting more of an offroad Labrador retriever than a racebike with lights, and am thinking along the lines of the Honda CRF250L/CRF300L. Anyone have one of these?

Although not Ted, I'm also thinking of a dual sport, but want to keep it somewhat economocal and reliable. I'm wanting more of an offroad Labrador retriever than a racebike with lights, and am thinking along the lines of the Honda CRF250L/CRF300L. Anyone have one of these?

I had a chance to ride a CRF250L a few years ago and it completely underwhelmed me. A worn out 1986 XR200R could out run one.

I’ve had dirt or adventure bikes most of my “adult” life, starting with a Yamaha DT1 back in the late 1960’s. From there, a Honda XL350, Yamaha XT500, BMW R100GS and perhaps the pinnacle, a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure.

I was 56 when I bought the KTM, but as the years progressed and I found that in my late 60’s it started to feel more and more intimidating. My strength, coordination and balance are not what they once were, and “A man’s got to know his limitations”. I figured something smaller, lighter, lower and less threatening would be more fun, and I sold the KTM in 2017 and bought a new Yamaha TW200.

34098259320_8417901dc0.jpg

No regrets. It’s a fun little bike to just putter around on. It’s the one I tend to jump on to just run errands or go for a short ride or whatever. 196cc and 16 hp is still enough to get some thrills even running it through Deal’s Gap.

37177671304_89507e0965.jpg

It’s stone-axe simple, little changed since 1987*. Very little to go wrong compared with many of today’s offerings and lots of upgrades and modifications available.

But…

The fuel tank is tiny at 1.8 gals. 60 mpg is doable, but that still results in a range less than 100 miles. But the suspension is the biggest drawback. It’s perhaps not fair to judge it against the KTM, but where that bike would almost magically float over rough terrain, the TDub will jar you over even small imperfections. Here, I think something like a Yamaha XT250 or Kawasaki KLX300 is overall just a much better choice. BMW’s offerings are nice, but seem like overkill for what the OP is seeking. And KTM’s are marvelous machines, but in my experience not nearly as reliable as the Japanese offerings.

But if a TW200 seems appealing, and you can find yourself near Knoxville, feel free to try mine out!

*Main changes are the switch to a disc brake on the front (Yay!) and the elimination of the kick-starter (Boo!). Other than that, it’s still 1987!

Reactions: Ted
I did do a little looking at the TW200. I think I'd enjoy trying one out if I was near one to try. That said, I think it probably isn't what I'd want. 16 HP and a carb on a new/newerish bike I think misses the mark for me. I get the appeal, just don't think it's quite what I'm looking for. But maybe if I rode one I'd think differently. I also don't enjoy driving/riding very many Japanese vehicles. I left flying out on purpose since, well, MU-2. :)

To be honest, it sounds like you're making an excuse to buy another street bike. Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for.

I had a chance to ride a CRF250L a few years ago and it completely underwhelmed me. A worn out 1986 XR200R could out run one.

Remember, I'm looking for an offroad puppy dog, not something that's going to bite. The 450 mx based trail bikes out these days are so powerful and snappy that even experienced riders are getting hurt on them.

A “SuperMotard” with the right rubber could be a blast on the road and decent off road as well. Something like:

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/klx/supermoto/klx300sm

I commuted daily for several years on a DRZ400SM. It was a great bike for the street but was just as unpleasant as any other street bike if you rode it on dirt/gravel roads much. The suspension and wheel size is intentional to make them handle nice but it comes at the expense of off road ability. It can be done but not what I'd pick if the goal is more dirt roads than hard surface.

That said, if I had enough room to have another couple motorcycles I'd probably have an Aprilia SXV550 or perhaps an RXV to ride more dirt.

This one says it has an "auto clutch" which doesn't sound too Ted friendly. There are others available, but they're farther away.

That word "auto" is one of those things that's inherently against my core. The other problem I have with it is that I can buy a new G310GS for that same price, and without having 35k miles on it. I know BMW motorcycles used tend to have high miles and are ridden a lot (and known for being reliable at that), but I'm at a point where I don't like buying higher mile vehicles. What constitutes "higher mile" depends on what it is, of course, but when it comes to motorcycles I prefer to buy them with under 10k miles on them anymore, and with cars/trucks something under 100k, preferably under 75k. If I buy something with higher miles on it, there generally needs to be a good reason these days. I've mechanically restored too many vehicles fixing other people's neglect.

Eurika! The lightbulb went off! :idea:

I've found the perfect bike for Ted, he needs to find a decent used Buell Ulysses!

0610hbkp_14z%2B2006_ulysses_xb12x%2Bfront_right_side_view.jpg_1.jpg

Find one with bags!

2008-Buell-Ulysses-XB12X-side.jpg

It checks the boxes! Unique, v-twin, not Japanese, dirt roads capable, may require creative wrenching to keep on the road as the bike ages, and it will compliment the HDs already in the garage!

Call it Pan America Ver 1.0

You know, @Bill , I'd thought about the Ulysses. It's a little on the heavy side but not terribly so. It might be an option, but to be honest the Sportster 1200 V-twin is a negative in my mind. While I like V-twins, I already have two Harley V-twins in the garage (my Ultra Classic and Laurie's Street Glide), and with the Guzzi that makes for three V-twins.

Another V-twin wouldn't be a bad thing per se, but I like variety in my fleet in all respects, and especially as it comes to engines. That's where something like the Ducati Scrambler sounds appealing (a Ducati V-twin is like nothing else). But for something like this a single cylinder (which I don't have outside of various lawn implements), opposed twin (BMW air head), or parallel twin has some appeal.

I only rode one Buell, which was my brother's. I was totally underwhelmed. I thought it was just me, that I didn't like Vtwin engines. That was before I rode the KTM Superduke 1290. I liked that just fine.

I only rode one Buell, which was my brother's. I was totally underwhelmed. I thought it was just me, that I didn't like Vtwin engines. That was before I rode the KTM Superduke 1290. I liked that just fine.

I rode a brand new Buell sport bike. I forget which one it was, XB12R? It was their top end one. At the time, I had my Honda RC51. I was riding the thing and, like you, completely underwhelmed. Full throttle acceleration I was thinking "Where's the rest of the power?" Much slower than even our Triumph Daytona 675, at low RPM.

I think they would've been better off with the V-Rod engine instead of the Sportster engine.

I only rode one Buell, which was my brother's. I was totally underwhelmed.

Just curious - which model? The original “tube framed” Buell’s developed a pretty bad reputation. The later models with the fuel in the frame and the oil in the swingarm - like my 2003 XB9R - have fared much better.

I still love mine. It reminds me of the Grace Jones song - “I’m not perfect, but I’m perfect for you”!

Just curious - which model? The original “tube framed” Buell’s developed a pretty bad reputation. The later models with the fuel in the frame and the oil in the swingarm - like my 2003 XB9R - have fared much better.

I still love mine. It reminds me of the Grace Jones song - “I’m not perfect, but I’m perfect for you”!

For me the engine was really what I found underwhelming in what was supposed to be a sport bike. Of course, that was in the first part of my 20s, when any bike under 100 HP was lame. :)

Rather than do the massive amounts of customization that we know are coming, I think it's time for Ted to do a build from scratch.

Order ingots of steel and aluminum, and get to work!

Rather than do the massive amounts of customization that we know are coming, I think it's time for Ted to do a build from scratch.

Order ingots of steel and aluminum, and get to work!

I'm less interested in doing that for a motorcycle than I would be for a car. And then the problem comes down to making it look good.

I have had the idea for some time of making an extraordinarily complicated car to drive, just because that's how I am. But I don't think that's appropriate for this goal.

Just curious - which model?
I think it was the 1125. By then Buell had ditched the HD engine and gone with one from a European maker, might even have been Rotac. Like I said, I was really underwhelmed. And it was expensive for the time. My brother was all about Buells, had to have one. I was riding a Honda 954rr at the time, which cost about half what the Buell did and could smoke it with ease.

Back