Thinking about a Bus/RV

I have to say Ted, you've actually got us considering letting go of the airstream and buying a motorhome. The idea of running down the road while the family gets snacks and uses the bathroom seems so much better than the backseat of the truck.

That was the big thing from our view. And in your case where you were considering selling your PSD 6.4 in lieu of making the Scout the daily driver, a proper RV would allow for that, and when you combine the value of the Ford and Airstream probably wouldn't get you too far off from something like what we bought.

I'm really curious to see how we're going to like these first few trips. To be honest I have never really enjoyed flying the family places. I've always felt like it's a lot of work on every side - get to the airport, transfer everything from car to plane (including car seats...). Have to plan a rental car where we're going (granted, FBOs make this simple). Get there, reverse the process of getting car seats and stuff out of the plane and into the rental car. Get to the hotel and move all of our stuff into the hotel. Nevermind the fact that the kids are being a real pain during the whole flight so I'm feeling like 1) This is something I should be enjoying but am not and 2) I'm spending a lot of money to be annoyed. Once we're there it's good, and of course we get there faster than driving.

Of course, not all of this will change in the RV, but there's more space to spread out, move around, and get various needs fulfilled.

If you take a trip to Gulf Shores for instance, It's a bit under a 900 mile drive or a 620 nm flight. So figure 3 hours block time in the MU-2 vs. 12-14 hours of drive time. But that 3 hours block time really turns into 6 or more by the time you factor in drive time to the airport, pre-flight, loading the plane, loading back into the rental car, drive to the hotel, and settling into the hotel. Still a significant time savings, but the other consideration is that we'll end up leaving in the morning after breakfast for a trip like that, and sometime mid afternoon actually settle in. Instead in the RV we could leave the night before, do some driving while the kids sleep, pull in and park somewhere along the way. Wake up and get going more or less immediately. In the end, we'd probably be able to spend around the same amount of time there and we wouldn't have to move our stuff so many times. Nevermind the ability to stop and smell the roses along the way, rather than just passing everything by.

We'll see what we think of it. Some trips the plane just makes more sense, like our trip to Cabo that we want to make an annual event. But I'm wondering if we won't find this to be a better means of travel despite traveling at 1/4 the speed of the MU-2.

Last edited:
But I'm wondering if we won't find this to be a better means of travel despite traveling at 1/4 the speed of the MU-2.

As some others of us as well. Interested in hearing the good and the bad after a few trips.

Reactions: Ted
Well Tom, I can say you have me curious on Newmars, as they are apparently well built and well supported. I thought that looked nice, but doesn't have many windows (something we like about the airstream is that it's very highly windowed). There is a 99 for 20K here https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/289384969096753 or another 2003 like the one you shared for 10k less and more windows. Not criticizing, just asking for info on how to compare different years. Did they do a major platform change between 99 and 2003. it seems like the prices jump in 2003 on the newmar. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/344012426765661/

EDIT, I see the last one is 42'. No way that would work for us. I have a dedicated RV spot where I'd store it that can barely do 34' I have other place to park, but that's the "best" spot

As some others of us as well. Interested in hearing the good and the bad after a few trips.

Yeah, it'll be interesting.

Well Tom, I can say you have me curious on Newmars, as they are apparently well built and well supported. I thought that looked nice, but doesn't have many windows (something we like about the airstream is that it's very highly windowed). There is a 99 for 20K here https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/289384969096753 or another 2003 like the one you shared for 10k less and more windows. Not criticizing, just asking for info on how to compare different years. Did they do a major platform change between 99 and 2003. it seems like the prices jump in 2003 on the newmar. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/344012426765661/

EDIT, I see the last one is 42'. No way that would work for us. I have a dedicated RV spot where I'd store it that can barely do 34' I have other place to park, but that's the "best" spot

One thing I've noticed on anything made before 2000 is that you can tell it's a pre-2000. Somewhere around that 2000ish era they did major revamps and save for lighting (which is easy to change), it's hard to tell a whole lot of difference between a well cared for 2000ish and a new one. Now, do aesthetics matter? Not really, but if you go someplace where there's the year limitation maybe that's a consideration. Don't know.

I thought I saw somewhere you were considering a shakedown trip to Branson?

There's a punchline:

If someone tells a long and rambling joke that isn't really funny, that's a Branson. It took a long time to get there, and it really wasn't all that great.

But there really are some very nice places to visit that will keep you from the strip itself, and avoid that punchline. It's a good place to start.

You are welcome to come look at ours. MIFlyer

And Tom will teach what you need to know before you buy any coach.

the 1999-2000 coaches made major changes the most of which were chassis and front end modifications.
you will not know the differences between the 36' and the 40', it isn't until get 43/45 that there is a big different on the they drive/park.

come on up :) and see

I thought I saw somewhere you were considering a shakedown trip to Branson?

There's a punchline:

If someone tells a long and rambling joke that isn't really funny, that's a Branson. It took a long time to get there, and it really wasn't all that great.

But there really are some very nice places to visit that will keep you from the strip itself, and avoid that punchline. It's a good place to start.

We've been to Branson a couple of times - once for the Twin Cessna convention (back with the 310) and once with the kids a few years ago. We liked it but more importantly, there are some pretty roads in the area that will be fun with the bikes. :)

We've been to Branson a couple of times - once for the Twin Cessna convention (back with the 310) and once with the kids a few years ago. We liked it but more importantly, there are some pretty roads in the area that will be fun with the bikes. :)
Once you get out of the town itself and away from those crowds, there really is a lot to like about that area. For bikes and another option for another trip, check out the country around Eureka Springs, AR.

The previous owners were Canadian and had a big steel front bumper made to deal with moose. It’s quite stout.

In that case, just put a helmet on the little ones. I'm sure they'll be fine. Should just buff right out.

In that case, just put a helmet on the little ones. I'm sure they'll be fine. Should just buff right out.

It’d be better than what they get in the school busses traveling to away games. LOL.

I’m sure Ted won’t let them lay in the back window of the Ford LTD though like I did. Haha. Comfy up there!

You are welcome to come look at ours. MIFlyer

And Tom will teach what you need to know before you buy any coach.

the 1999-2000 coaches made major changes the most of which were chassis and front end modifications.
you will not know the differences between the 36' and the 40', it isn't until get 43/45 that there is a big different on the they drive/park.

come on up :) and see
Thanks Tom. I've got to talk to the boss and reflect a bit, but we might just take you up on it. :)

Thanks Tom. I've got to talk to the boss and reflect a bit, but we might just take you up on it. :)

You’re also welcome to come to our house and check ours out, but Tom is closer and knows more. :)

I'm kind of afraid of all 5 kids in one place at one time...

We have 11 acres, no neighbors, and lots of great things to play with/on. :)

We have 11 acres, no neighbors, and lots of great things to play with/on. :)
honestly, it sounds like a lot of fun. they love animals, running around outside, etc so I'm sure we'd all have a blast. Tom and Barb would shove us out onto the county road by lunch :)

@Tom-D what year/model of Newmar coach do you guys own? @Ted DuPuis how about some pictures with the cabinets painted. I really don't like the light oak color that is so prevalent in many of them, so would be curious to see how they came out.

@Tom-D what year/model of Newmar coach do you guys own? @Ted DuPuis how about some pictures with the cabinets painted. I really don't like the light oak color that is so prevalent in many of them, so would be curious to see how they came out.
Ours is a 2000 Mountain aire. (model 8040) with a maple finish. Yes it is a very light interior. dark interiors remind me of a cave.
It's a personal preference.

our intierior

Attachments

• Look aft.jpeg
    Look aft.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 54
@Ted DuPuis how about some pictures with the cabinets painted. I really don't like the light oak color that is so prevalent in many of them, so would be curious to see how they came out.

I will be sure to do so once they're done. Still in progress - Laurie got maybe halfway through the job before leaving for work and I haven't had bandwidth to work on it.

our intierior
Tom, I really like your colors actually. it's the top to bottom honey oak that you see in a lot of them in that vintage that we dont' care for. the white cabinets are really attractive to us and brighten it up. What engine do you get in a 2000?

Tom, I really like your colors actually. it's the top to bottom honey oak that you see in a lot of them in that vintage that we dont' care for. the white cabinets are really attractive to us and brighten it up. What engine do you get in a 2000?
Mine is a 8.3 ISC Cummins, programed to 400 horse. This programer gives me 9.9 MPG in the freeway.

A few preview pics of the redone living room/kitchen cabinets. I still have a few more doors to put on and the new lighting fixtures that go above the couch to modify and install, should get those done tomorrow. We really like how it’s coming out. Makes the interior look and feel much newer, and more to our tastes.

8A8D9CC9-B836-4447-A207-5702F0293A5C.jpeg 68B460DD-E9C4-43E0-9CF4-D5EB4CCC3D3B.jpeg FC8720D2-BA57-4777-98DC-A4BA252CB73F.jpeg

A few preview pics of the redone living room/kitchen cabinets. I still have a few more doors to put on and the new lighting fixtures that go above the couch to modify and install, should get those done tomorrow. We really like how it’s coming out. Makes the interior look and feel much newer, and more to our tastes.

View attachment 88873 View attachment 88874 View attachment 88875

We’re those honey oak before? What a nice bright look! I love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We’re those honey oak before? What a nice bright look! I love it

Yes, honey oak. Really updates the look and is more to our tastes/theme for the RV. We have more plans. :)

The cabinets look great,, I'm interested how well they last.

Time will tell.

Were those cabinets covered in laminate prior to paint, Ted?

If so, how bad was the prep? Sanding? Special primer?

"I have to say Ted, you've actually got us considering letting go of the airstream and buying a motorhome. The idea of running down the road while the family gets snacks and uses the bathroom seems so much better than the backseat of the truck."

Every state requires that all passengers be seated with belts fastened when the vehicle is in motion. You have a romantic notion of RV travel that does not comport with reality...I have owned three and would not get another.

Bob

Were those cabinets covered in laminate prior to paint, Ted?

If so, how bad was the prep? Sanding? Special primer?

Laurie did all the work. Basically she cleaned them up very well, two coats of primer, 2-3 coats of paint, and 3 coats of poly. She also filled and sanded the holes for the door pulls since we changed hardware there.

All in all, a several day effort plus shopping for paint colors, door pulls, etc. Probably one person working alone, a full work week, maybe more. She and I split efforts with me mostly doing anything involving a drill and her doing anything involving paint.

Laurie did all the work. Basically she cleaned them up very well, two coats of primer, 2-3 coats of paint, and 3 coats of poly. She also filled and sanded the holes for the door pulls since we changed hardware there.

All in all, a several day effort plus shopping for paint colors, door pulls, etc. Probably one person working alone, a full work week, maybe more. She and I split efforts with me mostly doing anything involving a drill and her doing anything involving paint.

Cool. Yeah I like the pulls she found.

There’s some mild rumbling that Karen might want to paint the laminate stuff in the kitchen and I’m like... “Painting plastics kinda sucks if you do it wrong...” and I’m apparently the one who may have to become a materials engineer and figure it out.

And then do it too. And ugh. Painting. Yuck.

I paint wood and metal in the garage on stuff that isn’t eyeballed nearly as much as a kitchen. Everything else is a crap shoot without professional help either in choosing the right stuff, or just them doing it.

I hear tell of exciting things with epoxy in them that’ll cover and stick to damn near anything. Ha. Nuclear option? Ha.

Cool. Yeah I like the pulls she found.

There’s some mild rumbling that Karen might want to paint the laminate stuff in the kitchen and I’m like... “Painting plastics kinda sucks if you do it wrong...” and I’m apparently the one who may have to become a materials engineer and figure it out.

And then do it too. And ugh. Painting. Yuck.

I paint wood and metal in the garage on stuff that isn’t eyeballed nearly as much as a kitchen. Everything else is a crap shoot without professional help either in choosing the right stuff, or just them doing it.

I hear tell of exciting things with epoxy in them that’ll cover and stick to damn near anything. Ha. Nuclear option? Ha.
And our local Sherwin Williams turned us on to foam rollers that really give a great finish on cabinet doors & faces.

You have a romantic notion of RV travel that does not comport with reality...I have owned three and would not get another.

Bob

That's kind of what I was wondering about. How much can you really enjoy the space of the RV while your are driving down the highway?

What to do with your wheels, polish them (times 6)

Attachments

• IMG_3549.jpeg
    IMG_3549.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 30
That's kind of what I was wondering about. How much can you really enjoy the space of the RV while your are driving down the highway?
Put it on cruise, and enjoy looking out the window just like in your car, only bigger window.

Attachments

• IMG_2809.jpeg
    IMG_2809.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 16

You don't. That space is for use while the vehicle is stopped. One more time: You must be seated and buckled up when the vehicle is in motion. This applies in all states.

Back