Thinking about a brisket for tomorrow

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I plan to cook my first brisket on the egg tomorrow. What are your favorite tips and tricks and techniques? So far, I have mostly done pork butts, and last week I cooked a fabulous beef tenderloin.

Trim fat aggressively. Cook 225 deg until internal temp hits 195deg., then begin probing the flat. WAG ten hours into the cook. When the probe feels like its going into butter, the meat is done. Don't worry about temp; trust the probe. Option: separate the point from the flat before cooking; the point will be done first. Rub: SP or SPOG. No need to get fancy.

A variation on the above - keep the point on during the cook. When the thickest part of the flat gets to 200-205, start probing the flat (butter as above).

After done, eat the point or put it back on to make burnt ends.

I like 275. I’ve done hot & fast (325-350) but there’s too fine a line before the meat just falls apart when cutting. It’s yummy either way.

Plenty of argument or variation on the same BBQ. You Tube Aaron Franklin. Visit BBQ-Bretheren Q-Talk forum. Have fun!

Yea, trim the fat down to less than 1/8”. Smoke won’t penetrate the fat at all. 225 low and slow. I smoke to 190 and pull it off and wrap for a couple hours in a cooler. Salt and pepper only. I think the seasonings are lost in the cook myself. I’ve tried to get fancy, but end result I couldn’t taste any of it.

Back