Things your instructor did

During private training:
Put me under the hood and said "your airplane" after getting straight and level... inverted. Did the same "your airplane" under the hood after putting it in a spin.

For all you critics:
This used to be standard training for a pilot.
The FAA guy did this to me on my CHECK RIDE ride in 1965.
For fun, my friends and I would pair up and do this sort of thing to each other to see if we could make each other puke, or panic.

#1 My student training: CFI distracted me then turned our 152s fuel selector to off. The engine quit and he patiently waited for me to reach for a check list. I did a mental checklist and forgot the fuel selector, of course. After a minute or so he turned it on.
One of my instructors did that in a 152. I did not have time to get the checklist, because my eyes immediately scanned the mag switch, throttle, mixture, carb heat and fuel supply, and I restored power in less than two seconds. I had figured it was not the stuff on the panel because I had not seen his hands go there.

The instructor was a combination of miffed because he had not thrown my and admiration because I had found the issue so quickly.
I had started in a Colt. I think it would have been a little more obvious if an instructor had reached across my lap and pulled the fuel supply.

One of my instructors did that in a 152. I did not have time to get the checklist, because my eyes immediately scanned the mag switch, throttle, mixture, carb heat and fuel supply, and I restored power in less than two seconds. I had figured it was not the stuff on the panel because I had not seen his hands go there.

The instructor was a combination of miffed because he had not thrown my and admiration because I had found the issue so quickly.
I had started in a Colt. I think it would have been a little more obvious if an instructor had reached across my lap and pulled the fuel supply.

Similar yet different: Getting my complex endorsement for the Mooney my instructor distracted me in the pattern and pulled the gear breaker. Even with the numbers on the downwind I put the gear handle down and nothing.

I figured it out fairly quickly but was also ready to break off and depart the pattern for debug if necessary.

Ive lined up perfectly on two par 5's after the instructor pulled the throttle on me.

My Glider DPE made me fly a pattern with no speed brakes. Slipped it all the way around the pattern. THAT was FUN.

The other day was taxiing out for departure, punching in the flight plan etc when I heard this soft voice on the radio saying "Ceenteerliiine". I was a whooping 1-1.5 feet off. Corrected and replied with "Hey John", flew formation for a minute or so after departure. Put a big smile on my face :)

I flew formation with my former CFIG one day while he was flying with another student. I was in a faster glider and gave him a call

me: "7S this is 5A pulling up on your 5 o'clock."
him : "5A got ya in sight get closer and ill take some pictures"

pulled up to his 3 at around 100-150 feet apart (3000 agl) and he started snapping away

then I did a right break and left him in the dust. That was oodles of fun. Good pictures too.

Last edited:
There are times when a CFI must decide whether the use of "slightly unconventional" techniques will obtain the desired result without endangering the plane and occupants. One such instructor noticed that a particular pilot was sloppy about preflight inspections and also lax about callouts of "power set, airspeed alive" during takeoff roll, and no amount of reminding or check-list use seemed to have an impact. So . . .

Hahahaha. Damn. I thought my instructor was mean for covering everything and making me fly a pattern.

Hahahaha. Damn. I thought my instructor was mean for covering everything and making me fly a pattern.

My instructor did the same thing. Threw a blanket over the whole panel and we did pattern work. As for the 152 flying straight and level inverted, it ain't going to happen as it has a carburetor. Don

For all you critics:
This used to be standard training for a pilot.
The FAA guy did this to me on my CHECK RIDE ride in 1965.
For fun, my friends and I would pair up and do this sort of thing to each other to see if we could make each other puke, or panic.
There are a lot of pilot/instructor/examiner tricks we accepted 40-50 years ago which most of us have come to realize were pretty stupid both then and now. For example, an FAA Inspector turned off the fuel selector in the Cessna 150 I was flying on my Commercial-ASEL practical test. An Inspector who did that today would be out of a job tomorrow -- not the least because a few months after that ride the FAA discovered that there is a failure mode of that C-150 fuel selector which allows it to lock up in the closed position. We also stopped doing engine cuts at Vmc in light twins, and stopped doing Vmc demos below 3000-5000 AGL.

IOW, the fact that we did something 40-50 years ago doesn't by itself make it a good idea today, and if we stopped doing it because it was getting people killed in training, then we probably shouldn't be doing it again now.

Reading all this I am feel like the girl from "Watashi ga MotenaI" manga, who's never molested on the train, so she wonders if she's too ugly. None of my instructors did anything this interesting. When I did my Complex endorsement, my instructor pulled the circuit breaker on the gear lights, and I didn't notice. He did it because apparently some students call out "three green" without actually looking or looking but not seeing. So I asked tower to extend my downwind, went by checklist, found the breaker... I don't think the safety of flight was unduly compromised by the excercise, and I do not even remember anyone else doing anything unexpected and macho-inducing. Of course every one would pull the throttle (and carb heat) from time to time, but nobody killed ignition or even fuel (although, I mostly fly PA-28 and fuel selector is not easily availabe to the right seater).

Reading all this I am feel like the girl from "Watashi ga MotenaI" manga, who's never molested on the train, so she wonders if she's too ugly. None of my instructors did anything this interesting.
Sounds like you had instructors with good judgment.

When I did my Complex endorsement, my instructor pulled the circuit breaker on the gear lights, and I didn't notice. He did it because apparently some students call out "three green" without actually looking or looking but not seeing. So I asked tower to extend my downwind, went by checklist, found the breaker... I don't think the safety of flight was unduly compromised by the excercise,
I think you're right.

and I do not even remember anyone else doing anything unexpected and macho-inducing. Of course every one would pull the throttle (and carb heat) from time to time, but nobody killed ignition or even fuel (although, I mostly fly PA-28 and fuel selector is not easily availabe to the right seater).
Again, you're lucky you did not have any of the bonehead instructors mentioned above. Thank the powers that be for that, and press on -- safely and smartly.

There are a lot of pilot/instructor/examiner tricks we accepted 40-50 years ago which most of us have come to realize were pretty stupid both then and now. For example, an FAA Inspector turned off the fuel selector in the Cessna 150 I was flying on my Commercial-ASEL practical test. An Inspector who did that today would be out of a job tomorrow -- not the least because a few months after that ride the FAA discovered that there is a failure mode of that C-150 fuel selector which allows it to lock up in the closed position. We also stopped doing engine cuts at Vmc in light twins, and stopped doing Vmc demos below 3000-5000 AGL.

IOW, the fact that we did something 40-50 years ago doesn't by itself make it a good idea today, and if we stopped doing it because it was getting people killed in training, then we probably shouldn't be doing it again now.

I think there are a number of dead pilots BECAUSE they don't do things like spin training anymore.
Just my opinion.

Had to sit on my hands when learning how to taxi. Had a tendency to drive the plane. C150 out of adel GA. I could turn left but had trouble turning right, at that point I would grab the yoke and damn near twist it off:lol:

As for the 152 flying straight and level inverted, it ain't going to happen as it has a carburetor. Don
It might not be able to sustain it for long but I assure you guys that a 152 can be maneuvered inverted then straight and level before fuel starvation occurs. I know this because it occurred with me in the plane during the 10 days it took me to obtain my private rating. We did not sit inverted for long; he got it inverted then quickly straight and level then said "your airplane". I agree the proposition of doing it at all is a stretch of the imagination, but things your instructor did (which were somewhat abnormal) is what this thread is all about, right?

Had to sit on my hands when learning how to taxi. Had a tendency to drive the plane. C150 out of adel GA. I could turn left but had trouble turning right, at that point I would grab the yoke and damn near twist it off:lol:

I had the same problem, never was made to sit on my hands though. Did try to steer several times with the yoke throughout the first couple lessons.

I think there are a number of dead pilots BECAUSE they don't do things like spin training anymore.
Just my opinion.
You opinion is not backed by the statistics. The spin accidents almost invariably occur at altitudes from which recovery is impossible (usually in traffic pattern). Teaching people how to initiate spins and then recover from them doesn't help them in those situations, and in the old days when spin entry/recovery training was required at the PP level, we killed more people in spin training than we could stand. Only training focusing on spin prevention, rather than spin recovery, will keep people from dying in those sorts of accidents, and that's where the FAA's focus has been for nearly half a century.

Like silly games such as "stump the dummy"?
Yup. It was dumb then, and it's dumb now, but some examiners still do it, just like one examiner I know who insists on doing mag compass turns as a separate exercise on the IR practical test. :dunno:

Regardless of that, if you want to pass the test, be prepared for examiners who don't follow the book. That's why PIC keeps a book on examiners -- so we know what abnormalities to expect and can prepare the trainee to pass that examiner's test. I hate training just for the test, but sometimes that's the only option.

Just my opinion.
I think that's a given but equally likely is that if demonstrating 3 turn spins to the right and left was in today's PTS a larger number would be dead from failing to recover during practice.

I had the same problem, never was made to sit on my hands though. Did try to steer several times with the yoke throughout the first couple lessons.

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me you can turn the plane while taxiing without using the yoke? I am calling my CFI about this.

Whether they spin or not, every pilot should know how spin entries feel when they occur. Whether or not they can recover, they should at least have a fighting chance.

You opinion is not backed by the statistics. The spin accidents almost invariably occur at altitudes from which recovery is impossible (usually in traffic pattern). Teaching people how to initiate spins and then recover from them doesn't help them in those situations, and in the old days when spin entry/recovery training was required at the PP level, we killed more people in spin training than we could stand. Only training focusing on spin prevention, rather than spin recovery, will keep people from dying in those sorts of accidents, and that's where the FAA's focus has been for nearly half a century.

So Cap'n Ron, you say all of us who have posted above had boneheads for a CFI. My question to you is why what my CFI did to me, DA altitude departure within the limits of the POH such a bad thing? I can tell you I look very closely at that, that was a lesson I will never forget.

Some of them, but not all.

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me you can turn the plane while taxiing without using the yoke? I am calling my CFI about this.

So Cap'n Ron, you say all of us who have posted above had boneheads for a CFI. My question to you is why what my CFI did to me, DA altitude departure within the limits of the POH such a bad thing? I can tell you I look very closely at that, that was a lesson I will never forget.

I don't see that as a boneheaded move but rather a real-world scenario that you may very well run into.

Spin avoidance is important, and I can even see the argument for demonstrating spins at the least, and even practicing recovery... though I think teaching to avoid them in the first place is a better avenue.

Inverted flight recovery and engine out drills with the engine actually out, are boneheaded IMO.

I don't remember instuctors doing weird stuff in the air, but I had one that did his best to distract me during preflight. He did things like retying the tail while my head was buried in the engine compartment, or kicking the chocks back under the right main. To this day no one gets close to me or the plane while I run the checklist. He made it fun..

Whether they spin or not, every pilot should know how spin entries feel when they occur. Whether or not they can recover, they should at least have a fighting chance.

I did some aerobatic lessons and one of the things we did was a simlulated skidded base to final turn into a spin (at safe altitude). You realize right quick there is NO way to recover if you do this in the pattern.

Spin entries? If you mean that yawing/rolling feel, you get that long before you are spinning, and my experience giving primary flight training tells me they'll get that on their own during initial stall training without me having to deliberately set it up. I then tell them that's what the beginning of a spin entry is, and when you feel that, you get on the opposite rudder to stop the yaw and forward on the yoke to reduce AOA before things get worse. That's the point at which the situation must be reversed -- before they get to the point where if it happens in the pattern, they won't have enough altitude to recover.

I put this in the Dr. Groucho Marx category -- if it hurts when you do this, don't do this, and since it usually happens too low to recover, entering an unintentional spin has too much chance of hurting, so just learn not to enter unintentional spins. If you want to learn more about aerobatics (and spins are most definitely aerobatic maneuvers), go to one of those emergency handling/intro to aerobatics courses once you've got your Private done. But in the mean time, learning to avoid entering unintentional spins is quite sufficient.

Furthermore, many of today's primary trainers are not spin-certified, so you'd have to go to a different airplane for that training, and in many cases, the flight characteristics of the spin trainer would be significantly different than those of the primary trainer, creating the potential for negative training transfer.

All in all, the FAA and I are both satisfied that training in intentional spin entries and recoveries from intentional spins simply doesn't reduce the number of stall-spin accidents, but does lead to fatal training accidents. OTOH, training in avoiding unintentional spins had been shown to reduce unintentional spin accidents.

Last edited:
So Cap'n Ron, you say all of us who have posted above had boneheads for a CFI.
Never said that. Read my posts again more carefully. Some of the things posted were very good training. OTOH, many were "boneheaded." If you can't tell the difference, your instructor probably wasn't very good at teaching effective risk management and wise aeronautical decision making, and you need to dig into the FAA's various publications on tbose subjects and talk with a wiser instructor about them.

Spin entries? If you mean that yawing/rolling feel, you get that long before you are spinning, and my experience giving primary flight training tells me they'll get that on their own during initial stall training without me having to deliberately set it up. I then tell them that's what the beginning of a spin entry is, and when you feel that, you get on the opposite rudder to stop the yaw and forward on the yoke to reduce AOA before things get worse. That's the point at which the situation must be reversed -- before they get to the point where if it happens in the pattern, they won't have enough altitude to recover.

I put this in the Dr. Groucho Marx category -- if it hurts when you do this, don't do this, and since it usually happens too low to recover, entering an unintentional spin has too much chance of hurting, so just learn not to enter unintentional spins. If you want to learn more about aerobatics (and spins are most definitely aerobatic maneuvers), go to one of those emergency handling/intro to aerobatics courses once you've got your Private done. But in the mean time, learning to avoid entering unintentional spins is quite sufficient.

Furthermore, many of today's primary trainers are not spin-certified, so you'd have to go to a different airplane for that training, and in many cases, the flight characteristics of the spin trainer would be significantly different than those of the primary trainer, creating the potential for negative training transfer.

All in all, the FAA and I are both satisfied that training in intentional spin entries and recoveries from intentional spins simply doesn't reduce the number of stall-spin accidents, but does lead to fatal training accidents. OTOH, training in avoiding unintentional spins had been shown to reduce unintentional spin accidents.
This is not me being a wise guy- I like to see how safety is analyzed, as I do more than my fair share of safety analysis. Do you have references where the FAA has complied and analyzed the data to draw that conclusion? On the face of it, it seems like a daunting challenge.

The funny thing is when Piper was designing the Tomahawk, many on the instructors they asked at the time wanted a plane capable of spinning, and not one with a very benign stall. They apparently overachieved, although Tomahawk fans will tell you their planes are just fine to fly. I also see you are a Grumman fan, and I read a book on stalls and spins that focused on the NASA tests involving a Yankee. If you were training in Grummans, I can see where you would not want to include spins in your training. The only plane I have been in when we spun it was a Cessna 152, and its manners ere quite good.

You express a concern that a student flying a different plane from the one he has done most of his training in is likely to learn things he has to unlearn. What might those things be? Is there no value to feeling how another plane might differ?

Gentlemen, who knows the access to the Canadian stats? I believe their PPL still involves spins. Their stall-spin accident percentage vs ours could put that argument to rest.
Personally I thought the spins were fun in the acro planes that I had a chance to fly.
Was never inclined to spin a C172 or a DA20

This is not me being a wise guy- I like to see how safety is analyzed, as I do more than my fair share of safety analysis. Do you have references where the FAA has complied and analyzed the data to draw that conclusion?
It was done over 40 years ago. You'd have to dig through paper files at FAA HQ. You can ask the folks in AFS-810 about this if you want more confirmation, but that was the reason at the time the decision was made. You can also dig through the NTSB accident files for stall/spin accidents at your leisure if you want the current data on point. Finally, Ken Ibold may have done some analysis on this when he was editing Aviation Safety -- you might check their back issues.

I was getting a checkout in a Seneca. I had passed my ATP ride and I was a current MEI, but this was going to be just a rental checkout. After beating me up for not knowing safe single engine speed, he proceeded to do an engine cut during a departure stall. Of course, it below both Vsse and Vmc. You can guess the result :nono:

I was getting a checkout in a Seneca. I had passed my ATP ride and I was a current MEI, but this was going to be just a rental checkout. After beating me up for not knowing safe single engine speed, he proceeded to do an engine cut during a departure stall. Of course, it below both Vsse and Vmc. You can guess the result :nono:
I'm gonna guess the result is that you recovered, landed the plane, opened the door, and told the examiner to get out and don't come back.

I'm gonna guess the result is that you recovered, landed the plane, opened the door, and told the examiner to get out and don't come back.

I told the instructor that the checkout was over. I flew back to base and had a long conversation with the chief instructor.

The funny thing was the instructor critiquing my inability of holding heading during the maneuver. He thought an ATP should have one better :mad2:

Back