Things you use in your cockpit

For those who don't cary a pen and paper, how are you copying clearance routes?
Or do you toss the writing material once you have the route programmed in?

You probably should keep your personal fetishes to yourself. :yikes:

I also use that photo when the conversation turn towards whether one can qualify for the Mile High Club when flying solo!

But seriously, decreased cabin pressure has an effect on stuff in tubes. And that sunscreen actually caused a mild etching in the plastic armrest - food for thought!

20759328626_5c1968bf5f_z.jpg

Last edited:
For those who DO carry pens, these little guys help keep the from going astray:

Home Depot has them.
Tiny strip of velcro on the pen, tiny strip of velcro on the glareshield. Works great.

Tiny strip of velcro on the pen, tiny strip of velcro on the glareshield. Works great.

I do that as well, for flashlights and clips and landing calculators and stuff.

As seen here, with a Petzl LED headlamp:

8543377536_61da288f59_z.jpg

Still prefer pens to be tethered, Velcro doesn't do anything once a pen is dropped.

Why is the photo in post #45 so large? ..... Never mind.

What is essential in my cockpit?...just my headset and empty Gatorade bottle.

Everything else is a convenience!

Let's see, in no particular order, and in addition to FAA-required items ... headset; checklist sheet; metal E6B whiz-wheel (yes, I use it); iPhone 6 with Foreflight in yokemount; Stratus 1; iPad 2 with FF (longer trips only); Zaon TIS; O2 detector; 2-outlet USB adapter in cigarette lighter (for charging iPhone and Stratus); flashlight; spare batteries; notepad and pen; cupholder (from auto parts store) on floor for water bottles; camera.

money.

I started keeping an envelope full of $5 bills.
I always wondered about tipping the ramp guys but whether I am "supposed to" or not, I fly in Texas and it is hot. They tow the plane, bring me water, ask me when I am coming back so they can be available when I return.

There's the occasional back rub...

So I chunk a hundred bucks worth of fives in the console for the ramp crew.

I keep it simple, Other than the tip money, I like to bring a pencil, paper, iPad, lube, rubber gloves, a baseball bat, 2 chickens, my Teen Steam VHS tapes starring Alyssa Milano for good luck, fingernail clippers because f*** the FAA, trash bags, rope, shovel, some scratch and sniff stickers and an anal trainer in case I ever meet EdFred in real life.

Oh and gum. Helps with the ears.

Back