Things we hate

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
The sound of a hard-hit line drive smacking the face of your 8-year-old, who was playing pitcher. :(

CAT scan found no damage under the skin, thank goodness.

Good God! sorry to hear that. Tell him he and Mike Messina have something in common now.

See??? Told you baseball sucks!!!

Ken, I trust everything is ok. I've been in the ER more than once with a child injured playing sports. It's gut-wrenching. My best to everyone.

Ken, glad to hear there is no internal damage. I'm sure his face is quite sore however.

Oh, man, Ken - there's gonna be some colorful bruising on THAT one! Bless his little heart!!! Glad it wasn't worse. Phew.

As for you, over time you'll find that your stomach and guts will begin to descend back down below nipple level, eventually settling back into the space originally designed for them. It'll finish happening in about, oh, 15 years. :eek:

Glad it's all ok!

I'm glad he's healthy. Just a bruise to take a few weeks go disappear.

Meanwhile, it's going to be a topic at his school. When I was in school, taking such a hit was practically hero status. I just wish it were only this kind of thing that status applied to with kids today.

. I just wish it were only this kind of thing that status applied to with kids today.

It is IF you raise him right. I know you will, so don't worry, family values carry thru.

The sound of a hard-hit line drive smacking the face of your 8-year-old, who was playing pitcher. :(

CAT scan found no damage under the skin, thank goodness.

Ouch! Glad he's OK, Ken!

I'm sure you know what to do... Get 'im back on the horse. When I was in little league, I got hit in the face by a pitch (from a kid 3 years older than me who was pitching) and for the rest of the season, my overprotective mother made me wear a hockey helmet, complete with the big ol' cage face mask, every time I went up to bat. :( I not only got teased relentlessly, I had trouble hitting anything after that because of difficulty seeing with the "cage" right in front of my face. I ended up wishing I wasn't even playing at all, and I'd have rather taken another ball in the face.

OMG Ken, can't even imagine being a parent watching this.

Glad he is ok!!

Thanks, guys! He's doing pretty well today. In the hospital, he had two questions: "Do you think this will make me afraid of the ball?" and "Are you still going to nominate me for the all-star team?"

I was like, "Dude, you lead the league in tough. You'll be fine." The guy's a real competitor. Takes a ~70 mph ball from a distance of 45 feet, and he's worried about the all-star team. Jeez.

Ken,

Remember if he turns pro & makes the majors, he'll get paid very well. ;) Treat him well so you can retire... ;)

Glad he's OK. Kids are tough. A lot tougher than adults.

Remember if he turns pro & makes the majors, he'll get paid very well. ;) Treat him well so you can retire... ;)
Yeah, that's the plan! LOL

He KNOWS he's on the all-star team. Coaches nominate their three best players, and he and another kid are neck and neck the best on the team. Parker's hitting almost .800, leads the team in rbi and is second in hits and runs, and plays first, short and pitcher. He also leads the team in putouts and assists. I'm as proud of him as I can be, and he knows it. He's a far, far better ballplayer than I was at his age.

This league uses 45 mph pitching machines, but he moves up next season to "real" baseball and wants to be a pitcher, so I've had him learning to field the pitcher position and we practice pitching whenever he wants. I put the Jugs gun to him a couple of times and he throws in the high 40s/lo 50s already, and about 60 percent strikes. That's a pretty good start. I limit him to 35 pitches no more than three times a week for now.

So I figure by the time he's done with high school in 9 years, he'll be throwing high 90s, 85 percent strikes, and hitting about .650 (allowing for curveballs). That should be good for a signing bonus of about $25 million. :goofy:

My brother got hit in the face with a softball once. His cheek swelled up and stretched the skin so much it was transparent.

"Walk it off, son." :eek::eek::eek:

That had to hurt you as much as it hurt him. Glad he's ok. With questions like those, I think you and he both know the answers.

I can't wait to hear an announcer say one day, ". . . and pitching in this second game of the World Series - Ibold."

Ken, as I'm sure someone has already told ya, your son got pretty lucky. Similar thing happened to Paul Moholm, a minor league baseball player, and his frontal sinus was crushed.

Apparantly, he's playing again, but it was a very scary incident.

I am ECSTATIC that your son is ok, Ken. Takes a tough man to be a pitcher.

Excruciating pain has always been pretty high on my list of Things I Hate - speedy healing to him Ken...if he's like us as kids he'll be running around by next week. Now if that had been one of us 40-somethings, down and out for 3 weeks!

Excruciating pain has always been pretty high on my list of Things I Hate - speedy healing to him Ken...if he's like us as kids he'll be running around by next week. Now if that had been one of us 40-somethings, down and out for 3 weeks!
In fact, yesterday he went to a school picnic and danced around so much his shiner started swelling again! You just can't keep him down.

One thing I admire about kids is their sheer joy of life.

In fact, yesterday he went to a school picnic and danced around so much his shiner started swelling again! You just can't keep him down.
I'm glad he's OK Ken. :yes: What an ordeal for you and the whole family. Amazing how life can change in an instant.

I lost track of how many trips I made to the ER with my son. Not to mention sleepless nights in hospital rooms with him. He still has the sense of adventure that ends up with him being in ER's, but now his wife is the one taking him (when he doesn't go by ambulance). Since he has kids now, he seems to be a bit more cautious. Last time he took his son to the ER, he called me and told me "I don't know how you did it all those times...this is overwhelmingly horrible seeing my son like this."

One thing I admire about kids is their sheer joy of life.
Having great parents certainly heightens their joy. :)

I noticed your new signature line. Have you started on that book yet? Anybody from the forums going to be in it? :D

Thanks, guys! He's doing pretty well today. In the hospital, he had two questions: "Do you think this will make me afraid of the ball?" and "Are you still going to nominate me for the all-star team?"

Sounds like he'll be fine, and full of **** and vinegar!!!

When our kids were growing up our son liked to play catcher in Little League because he knew it scared his mother. :D And it was his little sister who kept getting hit by balls, hard foul balls, while sitting in the bleachers.

And they both survived to adulthood. Kids are tough, but it is hard to watch them get hurt.

My mother used to throw a fit because I enjoyed playing catcher in fast pitch softball. I can't count the number of times I got hit with a bat, had my glove knocked off my hand, was slid in to protecting the plate (and we wore metal cleats back then).. when one of the local boys baseball teams asked me to play, she laid down the law and said NO. I loved every minute of it even with injuries. But, nothing anyone said or did could talk me into pitching. There is just not enough time to react when you're that dang close to that ball coming off the bat. Fast pitch softball was bad enough, I can't imagine staring down a baseball that close from the plate. Even in my younger, skinnier, faster days!

Now playing 1st base on my slow pitch team is dangerous enough for me. :D

I do miss the days when Dad saying, "Rub a little dirt on it" was all it took to make it better and get you back on the field. Ahh to be young again. :yes:

Glad he's ok.

Back