Things to do...

Aaron Trueblood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MontanaPilot21
Hi all, I'm an extremely passionate person about aviation. I'm a high schooler that cannot currently fly, work or go to school due to corona. So, I need some inspiration for aviation projects that I could work on! Thanks, any ideas are helpful

Well they shut down the rental plane I usually use due to corona virus. And the only other rental available in the valley isn't until Tuesday.

I watch a ton of youtube aviation in the first place lol. I'm looking for project ideas or business or something.

Have you passed the written yet? Seems like this would be a great opportunity to study for it.

Or maybe you could work ahead in your school subjects....

They haven't assigned us schoolwork yet. And yep got the written done. And I feel like I've studied all I can handle for the oral exam and practical next Saturday. I would start IR ground school but I don't want to risk mixing info.

• You’ve obviously got a computer. Get either MS Flight Sim or X-Plane and learn about a variety of aircraft as well as the “scan” for your IR
  • Go on NASA website and build a wind tunnel, examine how various wing designs “fly”
  • Read everything by Ernest Gann
  • Read “Stick and Rudder”

That's a good one cgrab. I have a flight sim and use it pretty often. I got about halfway through stick and rudder I think, so that could be worth picking back up

You could also spend some time listening to https://www.liveatc.net/ especially if your radio skills could be better.

Another good practice tool is to look at raw text METARs and TAFs in ForeFlight, translate them, then switch to plain text and see if you got it all correct.

Back in the old days, kids entertained themselves by playing outdoors. Do that?

flitetest.com, Lots of entertainment and great way to learn and work with aerodymics, even with just free flight aircraft.

Check with you flight school/instructor. Maybe you can video conference with some other students. You can help them study and improve your knowledge at the same time.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Along the lines of METAR/TAF watching, plan a "flight" somewhere every morning, far enough to provide some weather and routing challenges. Look at prog charts and fronts, forecasts, etc., make a "go/no-go decision, then as the day progresses, watch how actual METARS progress. Basically, do a self-briefing, all with the idea of getting a feel for weather interpretation.
And, I understand not wanting to overload memory banks by starting instrument ground training, and I surely hope you can get your checkride done on schedule, but if it gets further deferred, delving in to your IFR materials might be a good option.

Last edited:
My plane needs washed.....looks like you’re too distant.

Sign up for the FAA WINGS program if you haven’t already. There are always webinars going on that you could attend online.

Read! Find some interesting, fun to read aviation books to keep your interest. In this day of the internet you don’t even have to leave the house to get them. I would highly recommend a Pulitzer winner from 1957 “The Spirit of St. Louis.” “The Right Stuff” is another great one. Bob Hoover’s book is also great. You will learn some things about flying too.

I wouldn’t start reading “Stick and Rudder” until you are actually flying regularly, but buy it and have it on hand.

My $0.02,

Hi all, I'm an extremely passionate person about aviation. I'm a high schooler that cannot currently fly, work or go to school due to corona. So, I need some inspiration for aviation projects that I could work on! Thanks, any ideas are helpful

Whoa! You mean you’re drinking too much Corona at your age?:eek: Man, you’re gonna have to get that under control before you start flying!:D

The overlap between PP and IR written test is amazing. Probably one third to one half questions are the same or directly related

If you have VR setup, I would suggest you look into condor soaring. You can not only get better at stick/rudder with this program, but you can also race people around the world. There are a number of sponsored race pilots who hone their skills in the off-season. Now, everywhere is the off-season. There's even a guy in either WI or IL who teaches soaring via condor. Condor with VR is unbelievable. Oculus rift-s is what i use, and it's stunningly good.

link: http://www.condorsoaring.com/
instruction resource: http://glidercfi.com/condor/

Back