Things to do in Philly

jkaduk

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
John Kaduk
I have to travel to Philadelphia the end of this month on business. I've never been there and I've never been to the east coast. I should have at least two days for sight seeing while I'm there. What are the don't miss things to see in the area? Any aviation related? I think one of the days I may go to New York. Same question there.

Eat a cheesesteak?

In NY it's a little cold, but the north country / Adirondacks is always fun if you're into the outdoors, think there has been enough snow that the snow sports are starting up

I have to travel to Philadelphia the end of this month on business. I've never been there and I've never been to the east coast. I should have at least two days for sight seeing while I'm there. What are the don't miss things to see in the area? Any aviation related? I think one of the days I may go to New York. Same question there.

Independence Hall and Constitution Center, Liberty Bell, Art Museum (with the famous "Rocky steps" and the statue used in R3). You could spend a whole day at the museum (and there's a bunch more locally.) Penn's Landing has a couple historic ships open to tour, Battleship New Jersey is across the Delaware in New Jersey. Nothing I can think of in-town aviation-related.

You can use Amtrak to get to either NYC or Washington in a couple hours from Philly.

Eat a cheesesteak?

In NY it's a little cold, but the north country / Adirondacks is always fun if you're into the outdoors, think there has been enough snow that the snow sports are starting up

That's pretty far from Philadelphia...

Call up the Philly PoAers and meet them.

Where is Zucker!! Hey man, you've got a guy here headed up to "Fluffia" to hang out with "yous". Make sure he gets a "cheese wit". :)

Last edited:
I recall years ago a museum downtown had a 707 on display. Don't remember what else there was but I'm sure you can google it. TripAdvisor.com always good for suggestions on things to do, and eat. South Philly Italian Market pretty crazy, and I'm sure you can find some great Italian food. Chinatown not far from downtown that has good restaurants. Waterfront area cool for a visit.

Last edited:
Check out Reading Terminal downtown. Good place to eat.

Philly has a nice Chinatown if you like Chinese food. It's a great city.

Where is Zucker!! Hey man, you've got a guy here headed up to "Fluffia" to hang out with "yous". Make sure he gets a "cheese wit". :)

Been waiting for him to check in...

Eat: Reading Terminal, Tony Luke's for a cheesesteak or pork broccoli Rabe sandwich, Jimmy's on South st for a cheesesteak and too many more to list. Don't get sucked into the Gino's and Pats, waste of time.

Places: Mutters Museum of science oddities, Philly Museum of Art, museum of natural history for some Dino exhibits, the zoo, tour of the Battleship New Jersey or hit up the Eastern State Penetentary for a cool ghost tour where AL Capone was.

Shopping: walk down south street for some eclectic shops and walnut st for some higher end shops (restaurants too)...

Many other things to do in Philly if you have more time.

The battleship Olympia is really neat. It was Dewey"s flagship in the Spanish American war if you like that sort of thing. There is also a WWII submarine right next to it that you can go through. A walking tour of all the old row houses is fun. The Mutter museum is pretty bizzare but fasinating.

For my if you are looking into Long Island. KFRG has the American air power museum on the field. And if you rent a car for the day there is the cradle of aviation museum about 20 mins away.

For my if you are looking into Long Island. KFRG has the American air power museum on the field. And if you rent a car for the day there is the cradle of aviation museum about 20 mins away [from FRG].

Modified for clarity.

Everyone's mentioned the go to things. Believe we did a thread on this awhile back.

I'd be down for a beer.

Beer sounds good! I live in philly near the italian market. Are you staying in the city or the suburbs?

Reading terminal market has a good variety of food. If you like beer, Yards brewery has free tours on the weekends.

As mentioned about the Independence Hall and related areas. There's also a nice Fire Museum and Betsy Ross's house and Elfreth's Alley. If you're there the beginning of march (5-13), there's the Philly flower show.

The 707 museum WAS the Franklin Institute. They got rid of it quite some time ago so they could expand the building. Nobody wanted to take it off their hands so it got scrapped. Still worth visiting the museum though.

Last edited:

First off its Fildelfia, Second it Youze. Youze really need to spend more time up here Shane:yes:

John seriously there is a hell of a lot to do and see in Philly. Much of what you should and can do depends on where you are staying. I'll post somethings here of interest but I'll pm you with a phone number, give me a call and I'll see if I can help you put together a more targeted list. If your interested I'll also try to corral some Philly POAers for a beer or three.

Historic
First go to the Independence Mall Visitor's center it really is a great resource.
- Thomas Jefferson House. Small quick self guided tour but its the boarding house where he wrote the Declaration of Independence of which I am in awe.
-Independence Hall. See where the Continental Congress actually debated and signed the Declaration. Gives me goosebumps to be in the same room that such a courage was exhibited.
-Constitution Center. Amazing center dedicated to the Constitution. Well worth the time.
-There are tons of other things such as the Liberty Bell, Besty Ross house, Ben Franklin's Print shoppe.
-I am also a huge fan of Valley Forge National Historic Park but that is a drive outside the city.

Food

There are just too many great restaurants to name. The Reading Terminal Market is great but you really need to know what stalls to go to. Cheese steaks are great but there are some popular tourist traps that are good but I think there are better. Under no circumstances should you get Wiz on your steak ( not to be confused with "Wit")

Philly has fantastic, Italian, Israeli, Asian, Steak houses, Mexican and so much more. Call and we can discuss.

As for NY Its busy, its expensive, its loud a bit of a drinking from a fire hose type of place, not sure its worth a day trip but if you decide to do that you can easily take Amtrak up to Penn Station.

Give me a call.

Reading Terminal Station has a Scrapple Fest 1/23 :) MMmMM SCrapple :)

AdamZ;1992209Cheese steaks are great but there are some popular tourist traps that are good but I think there are better. Under no circumstances should you get Wiz on your steak.[/QUOTE said:
Went to HS in South Jersey and never understood who the hell uses cheese wiz on Cheesesteak hoagies. :nono: :nonod:

Looks like some lovely weather there. :rolleyes:

I'm from the midwest. Everyone out here freaks out over a foot of snow like it is the end of the world. I don't get it. :dunno:

I think Jersey puts more salt on the roads than the Dakotas, Minnesota, and Wisconsin combined.

Made it to:
Independence Hall - very moving.
Liberty Bell - cool.
Art Museum - people kept running up the steps, don't get it. No time to see the museum.
Reading terminal - Picked the wrong booth unfortunately.
Tony Luke's - those things ought to be illegal they're so good.
Chickie's and Pete's - same as above.

Alas a meet up with the area POA'ers didn't happen. Maybe next time.
Didn't bother with NY but I did drive across the river so that I could say I've been to NJ.

I was working at the Navy Yard. An interesting place in itself. We would have lunch at the Urban Outfitters cafe. Very good food, also a little weird but not up to Venice beach standards.

It snowed the day we left then I spent the weekend enjoying 70 and 80 degree weather at home.

If you had time the big WinterThur and gardens is worth a visit if you have ground transport. Very Downton abbey !!!

Went to HS in South Jersey and never understood who the hell uses cheese wiz on Cheesesteak hoagies. :nono: :nonod:
Grew up in North Jersey and never understood who the hell calls a sub a hoagie.:nono: :nonod: ;)

Back