Things that make me say...hmmm.

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
I was just curious so I thought I'd ask. What happens when a poster on this board has completed their "final approach"? Presumably a landing follows, but what then? :dunno:

I was just curious so I thought I'd ask. What happens when a poster on this board has completed their "final approach"? Presumably a landing follows, but what then? :dunno:

This is your "User Title". These are fun little titles we give to people based on how much posting they've done. They do NOT reflect any real world status of the poster, they just reflect how much they like to talk. User Titles are defined by the following post levels:
0 Filing Flight Plan
30 Pre-Flight
100 Pre-takeoff checklist
500 Position and Hold
1000 Cleared for Takeoff
1500 Pattern Altitude
2500 En-Route
5000 Final Approach
10000 Touchdown! Greaser!

It could just be a blonde moment, but I thought the FAA outruled "Position and hold?" So can we just jump to the next one? hehe

So test pilot is? :dunno: (guessing here.... POA staff?)

Test Pilots are just volunteers that tested out some of the new software when it comes on line. We have access to one extra forum to post question observations and test results. We have nothing to do with policy decisions at all. Those privileges all reside with the MC.

Frank:

I think George Carlin would say after "final approach" and landing, one would taxi to the "terminal area" <g>

Best,

Dave

And who decided to call it "terminal" anyhow?:dunno:
You'd think they could have come up with something more, oh I don't know, alive?

Frank:

I think George Carlin would say after "final approach" and landing, one would taxi to the "terminal area" <g>

Best,

Dave

That sounds like Carlin. One of my favorite routines that he did (besides the hippie dippie weatherman) was when he was comparing football and baseball.

Football is played on a GRIDIRON!
Baseball is played on a Diamond.

It was hilarious!

Once when traveling back in the golden days of airline travel, one of the ticket agents asked if San Diego was my final destination. I thought for a second and said, what a profound thought, how does one know what their "final destination" is--are you some kind of a guru? <g>

With a dry droll, the agent said; "you know what I mean; your final destination today".

Oh no!! Not today; I'd better call home!

Best,

Dave

Yea yea I know, I looked it up a little and all they did was change the wording around. Maybe thats what I heard. My mistake! As you can tell, I haven't gotten a hold short in a LONG time, kinda happens at an airport in the middle of nowhere. ....could I still be bumped up? LOL j/k I'm not quite as obsessed as SOME of you ;)

Last edited:
I think Grant and I got one at KRFD when we were departing last Thursday after the PoA get together. Grant do you remember?
No, we didn't. I made the comment that if we were to get one that we should refuse, since it was at night, and I didn't want to be sitting on the runway (it was even an intersection, 'E', IIRC) at night.

It could just be a blonde moment, but I thought the FAA outruled "Position and hold?" So can we just jump to the next one? hehe
Actually, the Kiwis call it "Line up and wait". No fooling! And I think that the FAA implemented new rules that they can't assign assign it unless there are two people in the tower or something like that. I don't think it's been entirely banished.

And I think that the FAA implemented new rules that they can't assign assign it unless there are two people in the tower or something like that. I don't think it's been entirely banished.

If it has, someone forgot to tell the tower folks at my home drome. They still use it plenty.

Yea yea I know, I looked it up a little and all they did was change the wording around. Maybe thats what I heard. My mistake! As you can tell, I haven't gotten a hold short in a LONG time, kinda happens at an airport in the middle of nowhere. ....could I still be bumped up? LOL j/k I'm not quite as obsessed as SOME of you ;)

I think it's the land and hold short that they did away with, not the possition and hold. I usually get possition & hold when an AC is landing before I take off, once it's past my possition I get possition & hold, till they clear the runway.

Missa

Edit: after reading more, I really don't think Williamsport EVER has two people in the tower except durring a shift change. One person in that tower has to be fairly board, the only reason I could see for having two is so they can play cards.

Last edited:
If it has, someone forgot to tell the tower folks at my home drome. They still use it plenty.
I heard it last year during an FAA Safety Seminar at Lewis University (Romeoville) by a controller from either Aurora or DuPage. I took notes on it, but theyre in my Palm, which hasn't worked in a while. :( So I cannot verify my memory. Sorry.

I think it's the land and hold short that they did away with, not the possition and hold. I usually get possition & hold when an AC is landing before I take off, once it's past my possition I get possition & hold, till they clear the runway.

Missa

Edit: after reading more, I really don't think Williamsport EVER has two people in the tower except durring a shift change. One person in that tower has to be fairly board, the only reason I could see for having two is so they can play cards.

No. Land and hold short is still very much in operation. In fact at RFD last week the ATIS was announsing LAHSO was in effect, and gave available usuable runway for each of the two runways where LAHSO was in place.

Yeah, but after that? Do you get to take off again, or do you lose your medical and can't post anymore or what? Can you tell I'm bored today?

It would seem appropriate to me that it would be:

10000 - Bounce.....
15000 - Bounce.....
20000 - Bounce.....
etc.

It would seem appropriate to me that it would be:

10000 - Bounce.....
15000 - Bounce.....
20000 - Bounce.....
etc.

Or they could go missed? and that would open up a whole bunch more posting verbage to go with the post counts?

Or they could go missed? and that would open up a whole bunch more posting verbiage to go with the post counts?
Then there's the issue of going missed a few times and you run short on fuel to get to your alternate. Is "Terminal" then the the ultimatum? :eek:

Or, the software developers failed to consider that so many would be so devoid of an actual life, and would post as much as they do. Maybe a sort of doomsday, Y2K, phenomenon will cause the server to explode upon the first post (probably by Scott :p) after landing.

Or, the software developers failed to consider that so many would be so devoid of an actual life, and would post as much as they do. Maybe a sort of doomsday, Y2K, phenomenon will cause the server to explode upon the first post (probably by Scott :p) after landing.
Ken's theory is Scott will never land. Scott will invent, manufacture and install on his airplane the equipment to develop perpetual power; all while remaining aloft. Ken believes this is possible because Ken saw in another of Scott's posts that he believes he's the big dog. :yes:

No, LAHSO is definitely still in effect. ATIS on Sunday said "Land and hold short operations are in effect, landing and departing runways 18 and 21..."

Our tower uses P&H in the same manner yours does - Get the next guy on the runway and ready to go, clear them for takeoff as soon as the previous plane clears the runway.

Back