things that don't exist, but should

Mosquitoes that can be trained or programmed to be repelled by human presence. Same goes for black flies.

Safety glasses that don't fog up

:) But they did mostly all have ashtrays. Because in the 50's, pretty much everyone over age 14 was smoking constantly. But we weren't addicted to soda then.
I'm all for bringing back ashtrays and cigarette lighters. The reason children require tablets and phones on long drives now is because we don't have cigarette lighters to push in and wait to pop out anymore.

- A super thin, plastic wrap-like material that would safely adhere to the leading edge of the wings/elevator without impacting the flight characteristics. Then I could peel that off and replace it after every flight rather than spending 37487394 minutes cleaning dead bugs off, just to do it again on the next flight...

NASCAR has been using such a film on windshields for years. Check this: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nascar+w...379713&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_4cmqebvy9t_e

Like many things, the problem isn’t the technology; it’s FAA approval.

- A super thin, plastic wrap-like material that would safely adhere to the leading edge of the wings/elevator without impacting the flight characteristics. Then I could peel that off and replace it after every flight rather than spending 37487394 minutes cleaning dead bugs off, just to do it again on the next flight...
My son bought a can of some stuff, the name of which I cannot remember. It was a bug-remover/polish of some sort. Sprayed it on the leading edges of the wings of an airplane I was working on at the time, and the bugs wiped right off, and there was a film left behind that prevented any more bugs from sticking. Whether it was a wax or a silicone of some sort I don't remember, but it was effective.

I didn't try it on my Jodel. The bugs could outrun that airplane.

My son bought a can of some stuff, the name of which I cannot remember. It was a bug-remover/polish of some sort. Sprayed it on the leading edges of the wings of an airplane I was working on at the time, and the bugs wiped right off, and there was a film left behind that prevented any more bugs from sticking. Whether it was a wax or a silicone of some sort I don't remember, but it was effective.

I didn't try it on my Jodel. The bugs could outrun that airplane.

Might try applying it to the trailing edges then.

In the helicopter world, we call this "Blade tape." It helps slow down leading edge erosion in sandy conditions and makes a cool whistling sound when it peels off...

My glider buddies always used baby wipes on the leading edges after each flight. Seemed like they never had to scrub very hard.

I'm a bit of a stickler where I don't want there to be any residue left over :). It's a 15-20 minute task after every flight.
But hey, I'll buy some lemon pledge and baby wipes and see if I have any better luck with that. Low cost experimentation.

I'm a bit of a stickler where I don't want there to be any residue left over :). It's a 15-20 minute task after every flight.
But hey, I'll buy some lemon pledge and baby wipes and see if I have any better luck with that. Low cost experimentation.

I've used Honda Spray on my motorcycles for many years without any problems. https://www.amazon.com/HONDA-08732-...+spray+cleaner+&+polish&qid=1686161136&sr=8-2

I'm sure it would work as well on my plane, but Pledge seems to do just fine and is cheaper and easier to find.

Lately I've been using Turtle Wax spray wax found at the dollar store for 5-7 bucks. Works well and helps keep the shine.

Lemon Pledge with a microfiber cloth is my go to on my Lexan windscreen and Plexiglas canopy ...

....but Pledge seems to do just fine and is cheaper and easier to find.

Lemon Pledge, used repeatedly, builds up a waxy layer that yellows and makes everything ugly. Sure would be no fun at strip-and-paint time.

A cheap device that anyone can own, that tells you what car error message is making the “check engine” light come on.
I got mine for $13 off Amazon.

Back