things near LAX

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
hi all

I have a 10 hour layover in LAX on my way back from NZ (I have a hotel room, no worries). after I nap a bit and shower I might head out for a short time, a friend's son is back from Iraq and at Pendleton and she said he could come up to meet me for dinner. (I know that is a poke, I've driven the drive a few times).

They have a friend who owns a resto on/near Santa Monica Pier and she mentioned maybe heading there - but I'm thinking that must be fairly far away from LAX? it would be cutting it close IF I want to get even a 2 hour nap in. (assuming I am back at the hotel to get my bags 2.5 hours before departure, which may be overkill as it's a domestic flight at that point...)

how far is the Pier, and if not that, is there anything at all close by to check out/eat (it's been years since I've been there) or should I just content myself with a nice long kip and then room service?

Santa Monica is not all that far from LAX (30-45 minutes by car in traffic). Two ways to get there, up the coast road (Route 1) or via the highway. I often stayed in Santa Monica when I had biz trips to LA.

I *personally* wouldn't hesitate to go there for dinner, though I might eat somewhere other than the pier. It's a bit of a cab ride, though.

Marina Del Rey used to have some spots to eat, it's about 1/2 way to Santa Monica from LAX. Venice is kinda funky, used to have a couple of OK spots, but was not a place to be at night. I also ate a couple of times in Manhattan Beach, south of LAX, but I have no idea how it is these days.

The area around LAX itself is pretty seedy, not a lot of places other than the hotels to eat.

I used to live on Ocean Ave 5 blocks from the Pier.

The pier is about 15-20 miles away from LAX. With traffic 30-60 mins?

Marina Del Ray is right next to the airport. It has sail boats, shops, bars and restaurants. Best part is it is attached to Venice Beach. I would go to Venice Beach & watch the "freak" shows.

Have fun :)

there are a couple nice strip bars right next to LAX also..Ive been told.

thanks everyone. I'll see how I feel. I guess I don't have to take a nap before heading back out again, I'll sleep when I'm dead. (Warren Zevon, in case anyone here thinks I'm being morbid. oh wait, now he's sleeping too. :( )

If you have your boarding pass, check the bags BEFORE you leave LAX, then you don't have to pick them up after dinner. Pack a small overnight and just carry it with you.
Enjoy NZ. One of the places I'd like to go.

thanks, good idea, I will have my carryon, I can throw it in his car and he could drop me off in front.

next Q: to fly from LAX to Dulles on a 1020 flight on a SATURDAY night:

what time should I be at the airport? I had thought - room at 8 pm, get bags, get on shuttle, go to airport. overkill? if he can drop me off right in front instead...

Back