Things named after politicians

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Mike O'callaghan Federal Hospital is a VA hosp in Las Vegas (part of Nellis AFB ) As I had guessed, Mike was a politician. He was also Harry Reid's teacher and helped in his campaign for US Senator.

Ol Mike even has a bridge named after him.

I can think of any number of persons who are not politicians and more suited for the honor.

The worst I know is Murieta International airport in San Jose, CA. It was named after Murieta when he was a sitting Secretary of Transportation. I thought sucking up like that remained in Soviet Union where every street was V.I.Lenin Avenue in 1920s. Horrifying really. And probably didn't help them all the much in the end, they still have their stupid curfew.

The worst I know is Murieta International airport in San Jose, CA. It was named after Murieta when he was a sitting Secretary of Transportation. I thought sucking up like that remained in Soviet Union where every street was V.I.Lenin Avenue in 1920s. Horrifying really. And probably didn't help them all the much in the end, they still have their stupid curfew.

Mineta

I have a watch that was given to a local politician on his retirement. Broke the first time I carried it.

Have you ever been to the state formerly known as West Virginia...I believe that it's now called the Robert C. Byrd Memorial State of West Virginia

The capital of NE is Lincoln. We had a new road built as an expressway into down town Lincoln from my neighborhood named Capital Parkway. They renamed it to Rosa Parks Way. :eek:

Rosa Parks was the civil rights protester that would not give up her seat and move to the back of the bus. She never set foot in Nebraska so naming a road after her here was pretty weird. Then again President Lincoln never came here either. ;)

Last edited:
I heard a DJ once say that every city has a street named after Dr. Martin Luther King and that usually it's the one street in that city you don't want to be walking on after dark.

I it was a typical shock jock joke for him. It struck me as a sad combination of truth and social commentary that comes to mind every time I find myself on that street in any city.

I heard a DJ once say that every city has a street named after Dr. Martin Luther King and that usually it's the one street in that city you don't want to be walking on after dark.

I it was a typical shock jock joke for him. It struck me as a sad combination of truth and social commentary that comes to mind every time I find myself on that street in any city.

If you find yourself on Rosa Parks Boulevard in Paterson, NJ, I'd recommend you NOT get off the bus.

Two towns in Massachusetts named after the Governor: Marblehead and Athol.

-Skip

Sheriffs are polititians - how about a jail named after a sheriff?

>
Retired sheriff Patrick J. Sullivan Jr. was arrested in November in a suburb of Denver and charged with distributing methamphetamine to men in exchange for sex. Sullivan, who had a distinguished career as Arapahoe County sheriff, was booked into the Patrick J. Sullivan Jr. Detention Center, named for him after he retired in 2002. [Denver Post, 11-30-2011]
<

Hate to admit it but I think DIA ended up being a good idea. Lots of opposition to begin with, though.

They slowly fixed it, anyway...

Remember the "state of the art" automated baggage system...?

And the plan to put Cargo way up on the north end which led to all the waste of building runway 35 at KFTG...

And his family just happened to both own the land and also all bid for the contracts which had clauses to favor minority bidders...

And the city refusing to back Continental's loans for a major maintenance facility to keep themselves from falling out of bed with United...

"Federico" was a trip. He never allowed any of his friends or family to call him anything but "Fred" until he ran for public office and wanted the Latino vote.

I also still remember the "we'll use trash trucks to pack down the snow" debacle when he was mayor. What... a... twit.

It wasn't much of a wonder that Washington tapped him as an up-and-comer and stuck him at DOT, and then it didn't take long to figure out he was way way way out of his league.

They slowly fixed it, anyway...
It was probably unrealistic to think it would work perfectly in every detail as soon as it was open. The people who backed the whole idea of a new airport ended up being correct. I don't think we would have nearly the access to airline flights and there would have been many more delays due to weather and volume had they stuck with Stapleton.

ONLY a stopped watch is ever exactly correct - twice a day. A working watch is never exactly correct.

To pick a nit, not every stopped watched is always correct twice a day.

A good portion of Anchorage is named for Ted Stevens. Or is the town actually named Stevens with just a few places named Anchorage? I dunno.

I live in King Co Wa. Originally named for a vice President, William Rufus DeVane King , wife or "Miss Nancy" to President Buchanan, and a slave-owner. :eek:He died after only 45 days in office. Dave :dunno:

Even worse, when San Diego set about to gentrify the Gaslamp District back in the 80s, they changed the name of MLKJr Blvd back to Market Street.

Back