Things I've learned from Youtube about Engine Outs

pics or it didn't happen?

I'll do you one better... a video.

She was only a few miles from the airport - guys in the tower actually saw her go down. The engine completely failed (NTSB reports mechanical issue). She said she was trying to make a field, but realized at around 600 ft it wasn't going to happen. I flew with her once... her German accent intimidated me! :)

They all sound German with those accents! ;) :rofl:

Hey but she pulled, had that going for her.

No boobs on board in my engine out though the news girl who came out to interview me afterwards was rather cute.

As a new student less than 7 hours of flight time between a Cessna 162 and a 172. I can say I hope that I do not have to ever deal with a true engine out, but I did have some fun last week. My CFI and I were flying, practicing stalls (power on and off). Then I noticed the engine running a wee rough at least in my opinion, after playing with the mixture it really didn't help. I just think the engine was complaining it was cold out and hadn't been flown in a while. But my first reaction was to point out 3 good landing spots none were runways and my CFI just laughed. After making it back to the airport we did several landing and still no issues, but I planned just in case. I have had some sim time over the years, but mostly I just love learning.

That's a good start, Joey. Keep us posted on your progress. Oh, and cool car! TR-3?

That's a good start, Joey. Keep us posted on your progress. Oh, and cool car! TR-3?

Looks like something Anglo-American with those side pipes. AC/Shelby Cobra?

Its a Cobra Replica West Coast Cobra 1994 originally designed by Jim Kellison as the Kellison Stallion in the 70's. Slightly longer and wider than a Cobra made for as much comfort as it is speed. SVO 460 with a Richmond 4+1 Transmission.

And to stay on topic. I love driving it to the airport and hope to not have a engine stall out in either. Can't wait till warmer weather again so I can get it back out of the garage.

I've had my engine out. Actually a power loss. Just reached TPA on cross wind departure and it got real quiet, looked over to see the RPM rolling back and no response from the throttle. Turned back, called the tower, "189 is returning, lost power", started the checklist, fuel both, mixture rich, mags, no throttle response. Engine kept windmilling, 500rpm. Glide onto the runway and roll clear. Engine is running but cannot develope power. Shut it down and towed in.

At the point the power failed, no big deal. About 3 miles later over a city, real big deal.

I started flying well before dipping into the FSX sim thing (now Lockheed's Prepar3d), but I have to respectfully disagree with some of the comments here with respect to sims.

Yes, there are the arrogant simmer types that can't grasp that simulation is no replacement for reality (and are even more bored with reality), but there are also those that transition from simming to real flight, as rare as that may sound. We should be encouraging more interest in GA flight, even if that means simulation. Most gamers don't even understand flight sim at all..."you mean I can't drop bombs?" and if Joe Simmer wants to use your expired Jepp plates to shoot an approach to mins in a 747 we should not discourage that. I get it though, it's the attitude carried to real life that some of these guys have that is entertaining. Between you and I, I think many of them are simply just scared of the real thing, so they flex their 'confidence' through their thousands of hours of simming - which is indeed funny/perplexing.

With the sims themselves though, it's all about 3rd party add ons, which drastically helps with the realism. You get yourself a decent yoke/quadrant/pedals, good weather software and amazing 3rd party aircraft (the A2A releases are my favorite), and it's light years ahead of the stock software, if your PC can keep up.

Personally, it's great for the scan and working on nav work / holds / etc (disclaimer being you are instructed in that first, so you reduce the chance of developing bad habits...). I think some of you naysayers would be amazed at what's out there now - again, it's all about having decent add-on software and hardware. For feel, the sim is terribly unrealistic - it's actually far more sensitive and harder to control (especially pitch) than the real thing.

All that said, of course the sim isn't real life and we need more people outside doing the real thing. And I don't understand those that would rather sim but have zero interest in the real thing. However, the sim world can still stoke interest in people and in my experience has been far more positive than negative.

YMMV. My 0.02.

Thread relevant comment: youtube comments are the best. So entertaining. If I need a good laugh, it's one of the best places to go.

For maintaining instrument proficiency, I didn't find a yoke and pedals to be particularly worthwhile, but I did find it necessary to change my joystick to one that uses Hall effect sensors. The ones I had before had so much hysteresis that I felt they were producing negative learning.

I think this is the current version of what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster...rd_wg=wN0Ov&psc=1&refRID=590B8SVSA1DX9PP2S6TD

I'll bet you enjoyed your sadistic self. :yes:

I recently had a potential teenage student call me about training. The first thing he said was he has over 8,000 hours of simulator time and he was pretty experienced. The actual flight went as well as you guessed.

Back