Thielert Centurion 2.0L engines.

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
It's my understanding that when these engines (on the DA-42) hour out, they are yanked and replaced because the company went bankrupt and the engines are no longer supported. They are replacing them with AE 300.

I was wondering if you could obtain a couple of these engines and use them on an experimental. Is this legal/ feasable/ possible??

Good question,where would you get the time limited parts to rebuild the motor?

Austro might have use for the core. I seem to remember reading they were both built around the same MB engine block.

It's my understanding that when these engines (on the DA-42) hour out, they are yanked and replaced because the company went bankrupt and the engines are no longer supported. They are replacing them with AE 300.

I was wondering if you could obtain a couple of these engines and use them on an experimental. Is this legal/ feasable/ possible??

Legal? yes. Feasible? maybe, depends on your skills. Possible? I don't know, how are disposals handled?

Someone told me that Lycoming or Continental (can't remember) currently make parts for the Centurions. So these days I guess you can have a more or less reliable Centurion engine since you won't be using Thielert's parts. However I personally wouldn't use it because I don't really like the engine in general, it utelizes a clutch system for dampening.

Someone told me that Lycoming or Continental (can't remember) currently make parts for the Centurions. So these days I guess you can have a more or less reliable Centurion engine since you won't be using Thielert's parts. However I personally wouldn't use it because I don't really like the engine in general, it utelizes a clutch system for dampening.

You can buy most of the engine parts direct from Mercedes. Continental is making their own Diesel.

You can buy most of the engine parts direct from Mercedes. Continental is making their own Diesel.

Parts directly from Mercedes are not FAA approved (even thought they would work), so if you want a completely FAA approved engine that would not be an option.

Yeah I know about Continental's own Diessel, I believe that one of those two companies still make parts for the Centurion. Although my information is from somebody who just told me, I haven't seen any written proof, so take it for what it's worth.

Parts directly from Mercedes are not FAA approved (even thought they would work), so if you want a completely FAA approved engine that would not be an option.

Yeah I know about Continental's own Diessel, I believe that one of those two companies still make parts for the Centurion. Although my information is from somebody who just told me, I haven't seen any written proof, so take it for what it's worth.

Well, the OP was about putting it in an experimental. I'm surprised Superior isn't supplying the parts, IIRC they owned Theilert.

Thielert owned Superior, actually.

Continental bought out the rights to Thielert not long ago.

As to whether you could pull one and put it in an experimental, I don't see why not, but I also don't know if the life limit on them is enforceable like it is on turbine aircraft.

Continental bought out the rights to Thielert not long ago.

Did they? Continental bought the rights to the SMA diesel. Didn't think they had anything to do with the Thielerts.

Dan

Did they? Continental bought the rights to the SMA diesel. Didn't think they had anything to do with the Thielerts.

Dan
From Flying:

By Mark Phelps / Published: Jul 23, 2013

AVIC International, the Chinese holding company that owns Continental Motors, announced today that it has acquired the assets of Germany’s bankrupt Thielert Aircraft Engines GmbH, and formed a new company to produce the Centurion line of engines in Germany.

Technify Motors is a newly formed subsidiary of AVIC (the Thielert name has been dropped), and will work together with Alabama-based Continental to produce, sell and service a full line of jet-A-burning piston engines.

Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/news/conti...thielert-aircraft-engines#jzylM7tHzofAo0UL.99

What Ken said. :)

Back