They're Swarming!

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Took off out KPDK today with very heavy traffic all around. I looked at the TCAS on a pretty close scale and saw scads and scads of contacts. Too many to count. The map was covered! I pointed to it and said to the co-pilot, "my god, they're swarming out there!"

Without missing a beat he said, "I know! I think we hit two Cherokees and a Cessna on the way out."

Thought I'd share. Was a nice day to fly.

Funny--before opening the thread I figured you were talking about the cicadas that are due here this year. Every 17 years and this is the one.

Taking out a few Bo's and Cessnas no worries. Taking out RV's we'll have issues. :lol:

It's probably the traffic heading to Augusta for the Masters Golf Tournament. The traffic was heavier than normal today around Augusta when I was flying home from work. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to be able to get a radio call in to Augusta Approach.

It's probably the traffic heading to Augusta for the Masters Golf Tournament. The traffic was heavier than normal today around Augusta when I was flying home from work. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to be able to get a radio call in to Augusta Approach.

My son, who's an ATC major at UND, and I were visiting Minneapolis Center last year at this time as the flock was migrating to Augusta. I never realized they set up special routing and handling procedures across ATC just for that event. It was pretty amazing watching the huge monitors with the streams of Augusta traffic.

Funny--before opening the thread I figured you were talking about the cicadas that are due here this year. Every 17 years and this is the one.

Those must be different from the Maryland cicadas. I think the last time was about five or six years ago.

Speaking of swarming I went flying last night and for the first time since fall there were bug splatters. Finally spring is on the way!

Back