They want to open an airport near my house!

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
There's been some talk for a long time about the city of Fishers, IN moving the Indianapolis Metro Airport [KUMP]. Finally, in yesterday's paper, the Indianapolis Airport authority and the towns of Fishers and Noblesville announced the new proposed site. Looking at google maps of the location it will put my house (which is in a different county) in the traffic pattern of the airport (assuming they build a 18/36 runway). I'm not entirely upset about that, but KUMP is a pretty heavily used reliever for Indianapolis Intl - which sees it's fair share of larger (than a piston single) aircraft + small business jets. The funny part is that since I'm not in the same county I don't even get a say in the matter - not that I'm objecting to living 3 miles from an airport.

The local residents who are looking to lose their land for the airport deal are also crying a big stink about property values dropping from $35,000 per acre to $5,000 per acre. I imagine that's going to have the biggest impact on the deal. I wonder what's going to happen to my property value as well.

Wow, this is going to be interesting. The new airport, if approved, won't open until 2012. :blueplane:

Last edited:
Well, the cat's out of the bag. Apparently the town of Fishers, IN wants to relocate the airport so they can sell the 455 ac property for an estimated $140,000 per acre (or $65 million) and they view the property worth more developed (i.e. tax revenue, etc) than as an airport... (Sound familiar?)

What the town of Fishers did was ask the Indianapolis Airport Authority to move the airport to a "better" location where the airport can expand (the city won't allow the authority to build a new runway or extend the existing one). They "suggested" the area near the town of Noblesville - claiming that having the airport near Noblesville would be good for Noblesville.

Well, aparently that tactic backfired. The city council of Noblesville voted unanimously against welcoming the airport citing that the town of Fishers just wants to dump the airport on them (Noblesville) so they (Fishers) can get more tax revenue...

Wow, what a battle it was.

According to the Indianapolis Airport Authority the town of Fishers has until June to pick an alternate location for the airport or chanes are, it's going to stay put.

Indianapolis Star Article

Back