They did what...?!?

Tangential story:
Back in the dark ages, my large medical center employed multiple page operators, whose main duty was to page physicians on the overhead speakers to call a department phone extension.
One April 1st, a playful pharmacist called the page operator and asked for Dr. Hyman (a prominent neurosurgeon) to be paged. Soon, the page was heard for "Dr. William Hyman, extension ----, please." The pharmacist waited a few minutes, then called back and explained that he didn't want William, but his younger brother Buster. He told us the page operator dryly replied, "Nice try."

Last edited:
Someone left a note for this female Capt to call Anita Dick, and she started to do so. I said, Capt, look at that name. She got a good laugh out of that.

When I lived in Cleveland there was an Urban Legend that there was a guy in town named Nosmo King. Nerver could verify it. He wasn't in the phone book. Still thought it was funny.

If you work for an airline at a big airport, you see a lot of names.
On tickets, and elsewhere. I remember Sister Gentile, Father Priest, and yes, Colonel Klink.

Then when you get bored, you make pages. Mr Byrd, Mr. Jay Byrd to the white courtesy phone...

I have flown passengers named Anita Mann, Hairy Mann, Hairy Nose, and once dropped off a box for a Mike Hunt. I was told over the VHF to announce on 68 that I was dropping off a box for Mike Hunt. I triple checked to make sure thats what they wanted me to say......The local dispatchers did not understand why I had such issue with this name.

There's an attorney in Christian County Missouri running for circuit judge named Jennifer Growcock.

Since many surnames in Europe were a family's profession one must wonder whether this family history was in poultry farming or prostitution.

I've heard of this one, the lady (or at least she thought she was a lady) pronounced her son's name "sh-teed", spelled as you suggest.
And her daughter was named "La-a". When inquired about pronunciation, she scalds everyone "it pronounced lahk it sound, Ladasha, you fooo!" :D
Seriously, can't make this stuff up.

That and Lemonjello phave been going around for decades. I've met people from half a dozen different cities who all swear they were there when it happened.

We had a president with the first name of Grover. I thank my parents for not naming me Grover.

We had a president with the first name of Grover. I thank my parents for not naming me Grover.

Which would be the worst of the first names if named after a President? Grover, Chester, Millard, Rutherford, or Barack?

Which would be the worst of the first names if named after a President? Grover, Chester, Millard, Rutherford, or Barack?

I'd be ****ed at all of those....

But I'd be more ****ed to be named after William Henry Harrison. Worst. President. Ever. "As my first official act, I will do my best to get pneumonia, then die from it."

I'd be ****ed at all of those....

But I'd be more ****ed to be named after William Henry Harrison. Worst. President. Ever. "As my first official act, I will do my best to get pneumonia, then die from it."

Some might consider that the absolute best possible public service of any politician. ;)

:yeahthat:

I second this. I think we would all be better off this time around if both the contenders did exactly that.

Alright guys, please keep this out of the Spin Zone (or is it S**t Zone??), otherwise we might see the thread locked. Though it really isn't aviation related so no pity here. :)

My college classmate ordered checks when she opened a bank account. They printed her first name as 1224.

Her real name was Izzy.

So the bank misread her handwriting. Not sure why they thought it was a number.

Back