They crashed my old plane

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
I just found out one of the owners of my Cherokee Six crashed it trying to land in a heavy cross wind. Tried three times and the last time just tried to force in down. Stalled too high collapsed nose gear, ran off runway.

Too bad it was a nice plane. No one was hurt though. Airport only 17 miles away had a cross runway.

Dan

Attachments

• Cherokee Six0001.JPG
    Cherokee Six0001.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 65
I've been following this on the Red Board for a few days. It helped me to remember the suggestion that you don't do a third go-around unless there is absolutely no other option.

Sounds like the plane is pretty much totalled. Too bad but, as you say, we're fortunate that no one was hurt.

I've been following this on the Red Board for a few days. It helped me to remember the suggestion that you don't do a third go-around unless there is absolutely no other option.

Sounds like the plane is pretty much totalled. Too bad but, as you say, we're fortunate that no one was hurt.
I usually take that as "don't make a third attempt at landing at the same airport." Phrased as you did, it might be interpreted as "you shall put it on the runway on your third attempt or else!", which I don't think is what you meant. Richard Collins maintains that in instrument flying you shouldn't even make a SECOND attempt if you flew the first one properly and there is no reason (beyond hope) to think the weather is improving. One is always more inclined to push the limits just a little on subsequent attempts.

Yes, of course, you're right. Thanks for clarifying. That was exactly what I intended to say. :yes:

Back