There are no stupid questions

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
I’m just kidding, all of my questions are stupid.

I remember the first time I heard “runway 69 shortened, cleared to land”. My reply was “which end is shortened?” To which tower laughed at me and said “actually that’s a fair question”.

So the question stands, if it isn’t notam’d or specified somewhere, how are u supposed to know if it’s the approach end or departure end? I have to imagine if it’s major construction or whatever that it would be notam’d but the question is if it isn’t for some reason.

attempting to apply logic (I know, I know....)

"shortened" would be the far end of the runway. If it was the near end, wouldn't they say "displaced threshold" or something like that?

attempting to apply logic (I know, I know....)

"shortened" would be the far end of the runway. If it was the near end, wouldn't they say "displaced threshold" or something like that?

Dunno, I’ve never heard that on freq. I do recall landing at CRE (N. Myrtle, SC, east coast, USA for those incapable of looking it up) where construction was being done on the approach end and I had to land over construction people/trucks but I don’t recall what was said.

Both ends are shorter. Take your pick.

In the middle.

Actually, that's me. My legs are normally sized, as is my head and upper torso, but I'm extremely short-waisted. So...I'm literally short in the middle. You will find out where you're short or long if you try to properly fit clothing. :D

I can’t imagine a ‘shortened’ runway without specifics mentioned in a Notam. Since the tower controller lives there, they should be familiar. The pilot ‘should’ know also, since they swung through the Notams. ATIS could also mention what end.

I’m just saying, when it’s the case, usually not a surprise or unknown to the normal players.

Reminds me of my neighbor trying to get his mule in the barn. Saw him cutting out the top of the door in the shape of the mule's head. He said it was because the mule kept hitting his head trying to get in the door.

I asked why he just didn't shovel some of the dirt out from the dirt floor in the doorway area. "That's dumb" he said. "The problem ain't his legs too long it's his head that's too tall!"

Depends on which direction you're flying....

So is the reciprocal runway of 69......69?

I can’t imagine a ‘shortened’ runway without specifics mentioned in a Notam. Since the tower controller lives there, they should be familiar. The pilot ‘should’ know also, since they swung through the Notams. ATIS could also mention what end.

I’m just saying, when it’s the case, usually not a surprise or unknown to the normal players.
Here's the Controllers rule. It implies they should be more descriptive than just saying the one word 'shortened.'

m. If the pilot does not indicate the appropriate ATIS code, and when a runway has been shortened, controllers must ensure that pilots receive the runway number combined with a shortened announcement for all arriving aircraft.

Maybe they meant shortened in height, like you know, thinner asphalt :sosp:
Wouldn't it be THICKER asphalt since the distance between the runway and the top of the sky would be shorter? I know that I would want ATC to warn me about something like that.

The big thing is there should be adjusted markings and lighting to indicate the threshold has been moved. Note I've never seen the Runway Designator not get moved.

dt1.jpg

Last edited:
Like being too short for your weight. Not me but I know one who is..hehe

Back