There are good people out there

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
A guy I work with has a family friend that's a major league pitcher. The guy just got called up to the majors mid or late last season, and is a local guy who lives at home during the off season. A minor league pitcher is staying with him so they can work as training partners until spring training. My buddy asked him if he does any kind of clinics or tutoring for kids, he has another friend with 2 kids that pitch in 12 and 14yo leagues. "Sure I'll set it up for Sunday afternoon." The kids and their dad show up, and both pitchers show up. The one hour clinic turned into 3 hrs. At the end they asked dad and the kids, "We'll be around until Feb. How does every Sunday afternoon sound?"

My buddy said it was the coolest.thing.ever. I think I want to sign up, or at least get a replica jersey of my newest favorite ball player.

Nice,it's a,ways nice,when people give something back.

That is awesome..!!!

It really warms my heart when people like that take time to help kids and do it with real passion.

The former Baltimore Colts did a lot of that! Gino marchetti , Allan Ameche, had a summer camp for underprivileged boys, gave money to charity. John Unitas and others were very well known to reach out. Different times, different people.

The former Baltimore Colts did a lot of that! Gino marchetti , Allan Ameche, had a summer camp for underprivileged boys, gave money to charity. John Unitas and others were very well known to reach out. Different times, different people.
A former neighbor of mine used to work with the KC Chiefs. He was some kind of a financial advisor for the players, specifically the rookies. One of the things the team really encouraged all players to do was to give back to the community - that's why you'll see so many charities that are sponsored by players.

In this case, it's a guy who played high school, then college, then minors, then just got called up to the bigs. He hasn't forgotten what it was like to be a kid, and decided to give back on a more personal level, essentially one-on-one with a couple of local kids. He's doing it because he wants to, and not because anyone is expecting or encouraging it.

This is the reason I prefer to watch HS and the farm leagues. They play with heart. Perhaps Matthew could provide the name of this pitcher so we could all tune in.

Back