Therapy and FAA medicals

U

Unregistered

My friend is interested in eventually getting a pilot's license.
However, at the moment she wants to go to therapy to address some mental health related issues. I think in order for insurance to cover it she needs to a diagnosis. Is this correct?

She's worried that a diagnosis going to keep her from getting a 3rd class medical. Or make it a big enough hassle and expense that it's impractical.
Are there particular diagnoses that are a problem and some that aren't? If so, is there some negotiation that can be done with a therapist to avoid a bad diagnosis?

Bottom line, how can she get the help she needs without getting flagged by the FAA as unfit to fly? (Yes, I know about sport pilot. That doesn't meet her flying goals.)

Help, please?

My friend is interested in eventually getting a pilot's license.
However, at the moment she wants to go to therapy to address some mental health related issues. I think in order for insurance to cover it she needs to a diagnosis. Is this correct?
That depends on the insurer, of course, but in general, insurers don't pay for medical treatment without some sort of diagnosis.

She's worried that a diagnosis going to keep her from getting a 3rd class medical. Or make it a big enough hassle and expense that it's impractical.
Are there particular diagnoses that are a problem and some that aren't?
Yes, there are many mental health diagnoses that can prevent aviation medical certification, starting with any psychosis and going to bipolar, ADHD, depression, and anxiety.

If so, is there some negotiation that can be done with a therapist to avoid a bad diagnosis?
That's possible, but never guaranteed.

Bottom line, how can she get the help she needs without getting flagged by the FAA as unfit to fly?
She should contact Dr. Bruce Chien, an AME whose practice is difficult medical certifications, to discuss what it is she thinks is her issue, and the possible aviation medical certification outcomes of the possible diagnoses -- before she goes to the psychiatrist. She gets in touch with Bruce via http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

Anyone up for an equality lawsuit against the FAA saying therapy disqualification is discrimination against women? More women go to therapy, so therapy denials must be the patriarchy keeping their foot on women's necks.:lol: Probably could take the same path with pysch meds... :lol:
You wanna beat the machine, use the machine. :D

Sounds like more of an economic issue. The friend could seek out a mental health professional on her own dime and keep it on the down low if she cared to do so. It would just cost more.

Given the nature of aviation, such action might be the most cost effective thing the woman could do.

Exactly.
"What is your name?"
"John Smith."
"But you're a female."
"John Smith, can we start the session now?"

Hello,

I am a commercial pilot and licensed professional mental health counselor that specializes in helping pilots with mental health-related issues. Obtaining a mental health diagnosis is often more of a requirement for insurance reimbursement to the therapist than a practical requirement for treatment (severe mental health issues aside). I would strongly advise your friend to seek help "out of pocket" from a therapist that places less emphasis on creating a diagnosis and more emphasis on helping your friend in ways that won't unfairly hinder her chances of fairly obtaining a medical. The majority of counseling services I do with pilots and flight crew is performed remotely (video conference/telephone) and "out of pocket", where defining a diagnosis is not part of the treatment plan. I sometimes implement "coaching services" to pilots that are worried about self-reporting counseling service to the FAA or their respective employers.

It's unfortunate that the FAA continues to uphold the unrealistic and absurd expectation that pilots who seek counseling to help themselves should essentially voluntarily have their medicals be denied by self-reporting. Not only does this archaic and unethical expectation encourage pilots to not seek the help that they need (which poses significant risk), it encourages those that do seek help to lie about it.

Feel free to message me if I can be of assistance to your friend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back