Therapist Visits

U

Unregistered

Does the FAA look down on people who seek therapy for everyday stress and insecurities? When I had my 3rd class medical performed, I don't remember if this sort of thing was something that needed to be reported. The situation is, I see a therapist about once a month, just to talk about life's challenges. Absolutely no drugs have been prescribed or even discussed. I know that the FAA wants to know quite a bit about licensed pilots and I agree with that. The way I see it, my visits are the same as talking with a good friend, do you think the FAA sees it that way as well?

They want to know, your issues will pass muster from the sounds of it, but it may cost a few grand to prove it. Read through the applicable FARs, there is some guidance on this very issue where I know they exempt things like marriage counseling and such. Dr Bruce will give the diffinative answer.

I think that the major thing to watch out for is prescription of drugs for problems, and certain diagnoses. Hopefully Dr. Bruce will chime in.

I believe that the FAA is all for folks getting therapy for "normal" issues like marriage, job-stresses, grief due to a death, etc. There are specific exemptions to the reporting requirements for some of this stuff.

With all the cautions about what treatment for mental health issues can do to your medical status, the same underlying truth for physical ailments applies:
Get healthy first, THEN worry about flying.

I went to a therapist for family issues. My Mother and sister requested that I talk to a professional. After 3 visits, the therapist said that I'm mentally heathly and clear thinking. :D He suggested that my mother and sister see therapists.:yikes:

With all the cautions about what treatment for mental health issues can do to your medical status, the same underlying truth for physical ailments applies:

What if you're terminal? Might as well die flying if you feel up to it.

Unreg, it depends what "everyday stress and insecurities" turns out to be. No, if that is what the counselor says in his record, and BILLS FOR VIA DIAGNOSIS CODE. He may tell you (or you may hear) one thing but if the billing code says another, you could be in for a ride to try to undo the "diagnosis".

However, if there are no medications involved, it is rarely irreversible.

Marriage counseling is specifically excluded from reporting,

Unreg, it depends what "everyday stress and insecurities" turns out to be. No, if that is what the counselor says in his record, and BILLS FOR VIA DIAGNOSIS CODE. He may tell you (or you may hear) one thing but if the billing code says another, you could be in for a ride to try to undo the "diagnosis".

However, if there are no medications involved, it is rarely irreversible.

Marriage counseling is specifically excluded from reporting,

Some of them (and Drs too) get very creative on the diagnosis codes to get insurance to cover. Sigh. What a messed up system.

John

Thank you for the replies, I'll ask about the diagnosis/billing code. When I first started the visits, I thought nothing of them as far as my pilot's license was concerned, then after reading how picky the FAA can be I figured I would ask here.

This is exactly what I did and my AME does not anticipate any problem. I also got a full evaluation done and a letter from the psychiatrist with his findings.

Pay in cash, and introduce yourself as John Doe.

Some things are none of the governments business. What you are describing I would categorize there; however when we add insurance to the picture that option disappears from our inventory of options.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back