Theoretical Triple Midair

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Let's just say....a 210, a Bonanza and a Cirrus meet somewhere in the sky.....who lives and who dies???

Think of it as an aviation Rock, Paper, Scissors

210 pilot hears a thud, but isn't too worried about it because he is busy dealing with smoke in the cockpit. The Bonanza pilot wakes up from his nap, looks around, and goes back to sleep. The Cirrus never made it to the impact because he pulled the chute as soon as he saw the other 2 planes.

This thread needs moar bacon.

Kevin-Bacon-portrait.jpg

210 drops like the stone it is.

Cirrus asplodes into flaming debris.

Bonanza has to go to the paint shop for some touch up.

210 pilot hears a thud, but isn't too worried about it because he is busy dealing with smoke in the cockpit. The Bonanza pilot wakes up from his nap, looks around, and goes back to sleep. The Cirrus never made it to the impact because he pulled the chute as soon as he saw the other 2 planes.
But David....you have failed to account for the tail coming off the Bo.

How about this senario...Cirrus safely descends under the canopy while the other two get to the ground slightly faster.

How about this senario...Cirrus safely descends under the canopy while the other two get to the ground slightly faster.
If a burning ball of fire is considered 'safely descending', then I suppose you are correct.

If a burning ball of fire is considered 'safely descending', then I suppose you are correct.

Come on it doesn't burn that often, and when it does it's usually because the pilot does something wrong.
As far as I know there was only one case where it burned while descending under the chute.

Yes, tragically we had one of those here in Colorado a couple years ago. Midair collision, Cirrus pulled the chute but caught fire, both occupants killed in the fire on the way down. Terrible. The other plane crashed and killed its occupant as well.

Yes, tragically we had one of those here in Colorado a couple years ago. Midair collision, Cirrus pulled the chute but caught fire, both occupants killed in the fire on the way down. Terrible. The other plane crashed and killed its occupant as well.

Wasn't the chute deployed automatically due to the damage to the rocket? Wasn't really the pilots fault.

Wasn't the chute deployed automatically due to the damage to the rocket? Wasn't really the pilots fault.

It was theory I heard, the rocket is deployed by pulling on a cable, so if that cable was impacted it could easily be pulled.

I've not read the NTSB report, which it sounds like you have. I wasn't blaming the pilot. I didn't know the chutes could deploy automatically, but then again, I'm not a Cirrus expert either. All I know is it was a terrible outcome for all involved.

I've not read the NTSB report, which it sounds like you have. I wasn't blaming the pilot. I didn't know the chutes could deploy automatically, but then again, I'm not a Cirrus expert either. All I know is it was a terrible outcome for all involved.

Yes I've read it but it's been quote a long time ago, I'm going to go see if I can find it again.

I am curious which one that was. I looked for accidents in Colorado and only found two Cirrus fatals. One was the piper tow plane accident but that pilot died from traumatic injuries rather than the "thermal injuries" used for a fire related death. Is it possible you are incorrect about this being a Colorado accident?

Back