Them thar clouds was nice!!

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
So this morning I did my first solo proficiency flight into IMC since getting back in the saddle. There just isn't a lot of flyable IMC in Vermont, and I was determined to seize the first opportunity I saw. This morning I almost gave up when the ceiling at my home base went up to 1500, and it was forecast to continue to raise toward VFR conditions in a couple of hours. But then the ceiling dropped again to 700 OVC. I said to myself, it's now or never. So I called up the FBO and asked them to pull my plane out, jumped in the car and off I went.

I filed a round robin from KMPV to KLEB back to KMPV with "multiple approaches" in the remarks. My first approach was the ILS 18 @ KLEB, MPV transition (the VOR is an IAF for that approach). They took me up to 6000 and wouldn't let me down until crossing HAMMM (charted altitude is 4000), so I wound up chasing the glideslope from above, not good. So that first approach was ragged, though safe. I was cleared for a low approach and to fly the published miss, climb 5400.

On the MA hold I made a real beginner's error, I requested my next approach (the RNAV 18, JIKOR transition) while in the hold but loaded and EXEC'd the modified flight plan before getting my clearance to proceed to JIKOR. As a result all my course guidance for the hold was gone. I'm so used to holding at waypoints using the GPS that it didn't occur to me that since the hold was at a VOR, I could just fly it the old way with the NAV radio. My clearance to JIKOR was effective upon reaching 5400 and I was almost there, still climbing, so I just faked it for a half turn, but that's an error I don't think I would have made soon after the checkride. I need to practice holding using the radio too on occasion, and probably should do it with the SL-30 and the old-style VOR head too. I don't think I've done that since the checkride.

My second approach was a lot smoother, and then I requested the ILS 17 @ KMPV to get me home. Here comes a question: I was asked if I wanted the MPV VOR transition. Looking at the chart, there is a feeder route to the IAF TJAYS from MPV, but MPV is not itself shown as an IAF. Yet on the 480, it is recognized as one, so I said yes and punched it in. Is it an IAF, or no?

The rest of the flight was pretty routine. I was above the tops in the bright sunshine, and took a few pictures along the way to TJAYS. ATC had a 340 also coming into KMPV who requested the RNAV 17 and got put in a hold until I was done. I felt bad about that and tried to keep my speed up until TJAYS, but I think I delayed him for a good 15 minutes. After we had both landed I chatted with him on the ramp for a bit, he was in for the day with his family and pooch. If I'd known he was a transient I would have asked ATC to put ME in the hold instead so he could get down.

In the end, 2.0 hours and about 0.5 actual.

tl;dr: the thread title says it all!!!
IMG_3629.jpg IMG_3624.jpg IMG_3627.jpg

Glad to see you playing in the clouds again.... Looks like fun! :)

Back