Thee guys took off in front of us today, crashed minutes later....

You know what's crazier? My CFI just called me when I got home, he said their family was waiting for them at the airport, and he had to tell them what happened. I had already left by the time this happened.

I took off out of HSV on 18R one night, there were several lvl 5 thunderstorms off the end of the runway that I was looking at on the radar, so I requested a turn to the west as soon as the wheels left the pavement and got it, as I was rolling they cleared a C206 off 18L. They center punched one of the storms and morted. They were dead before I switched to approach.

It's a little unnerving seeing a plane leave and not come back the day before my checkride.

It's a little unnerving seeing a plane leave and not come back the day before my checkride.

Yes, I can imagine that.

When I was doing my primary training, there was a fatal crash in the morning (angel-flight pilot took off in a strong downwind just after a thunderstorm passed, and killed the infant passenger). I was supposed to have a lesson that afternoon. The airport wasn't closed, but neither I nor the CFI felt like flying that day. It just didn't seem right. So we did some ground time instead.

Hopefully you can put it out of your mind for the DPE time. And get some much needed sleep tonight. Good luck tomorrow on your checkride.

Seeing a fatal accident during training IS very sobering. Been there, done that. In fact, was third to the plane...

Ryan

Did you personally witness the crash or just find out because of the news article? Either way, thats very sobering.

I've never quite seen anything like that before. I was suspected of being in a crash once... My mom heard about a small piper crashing in the exact area I was in, about the same time... She was freaking out. Didn't help that my phone died, so I couldn't call for several hours...

Did you personally witness the crash or just find out because of the news article? Either way, thats very sobering.

I've never quite seen anything like that before. I was suspected of being in a crash once... My mom heard about a small piper crashing in the exact area I was in, about the same time... She was freaking out. Didn't help that my phone died, so I couldn't call for several hours...

No we didn't witness the crash, just had a conversation with the pilot over the radio before they took off, usual stuff, we both came around the corner of a hangar at the same time and stopped, then joked about who had the right of way, then they asked us which runway we were using as active (90 degree crosswind, so not a stupid question, just one that makes things easier and minimizes delay) they took off, and we took off right behind them and both flew in the same general direction, I switched to Buffalo Approach soon after leaving the pattern, they didn't. We didn't see them again. When we got back and after I left, my CFI found out about what happened, I don't know how he found out, I'm sure someone called him. He called me 5 minutes after I left.

Last edited:
Seeing a fatal accident during training IS very sobering. Been there, done that. In fact, was third to the plane...

Ryan

Even a non-fatal is pretty sobering. A guy crunched up a 172 on the runway, post solo student,. My father-in-law saw the plane at the edge of the runway while he was landing in a cattle car-liner. Sent a text to my CFI to find out what happened, that everyone was ok, et al. No big deal on the injury side (a little dazed) but the plane was junk, crunched wings, motor, et al.

I really was glad to have not done that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reminds me of my instrument checkride. As I entered the pattern for landing, the examiner wanted to know how I was at crosswind landings. He was very concerned that I should descend quickly enough, because there was a moderately strong wind at nearly 90 degrees, and he said people often run off the end of Palo Alto's 2444 foot runway in those conditions, because they're fooled by the lack of a headwind component. My landing was normal, but as we were getting out of the plane, I noticed him looking intently at the departure end of the runway. It turned out that the plane that landed right after me did EXACTLY what he had warned me against!

Back