The Wright Brothers book - really good read

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
We flew (commercial) to Florida for vacation a few weeks back, and while wandering around the airport bookstore I saw this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Wright-Brothers-David-McCullough/dp/1476728747

and thought, well, how appropriate. I bought it and read it over the vacation. I thought it was a REALLY good read if you are even a little bit into aviation history. The author did a really great job of threading through the historical facts and weaving it into a good narrative. Quite a few interesting pics as well, and a great jumping off point for further research. I really enjoyed it, and when I returned home to Rochester NY, was quite interested to see one of Glenn Curtiss' early planes hanging from the roof in the terminal (It plays into the whole story).

Anyway, wanted to share - a good book if you want to kill some time.

Ahh shoot, I meant to post this in flight following.. mods can you move it?

I agree. I was surprised in how much their sister Katherine was involved.

Looking forward to the TV/Movie Version Tom Hanks is planning.

Cheers

Looking forward to the TV/Movie Version Tom Hanks is planning.

Woah, wait, seriously? Tom Hanks - Wonder if Mr. Spielberg is involved? I can imagine they could really give this the treatment it deserves!

Between the Wright Bros. and Sully, Hanks is cornering the aviation movie market lately!

I agree it is an excellent book. One caution: I listened to the audible.com edition last winter, read by the author. His voice is not as good as other (professional) readers, and his mispronounciation of French names & place names was quite distracting.
I would love to see a Hanks miniseries based on this book.

Yes, very good read. I got this book as a Christmas gift last year. I believe I finished it in two days.

I learned a lot. I was amazed at how many demonstrations they did. So much is made of the first flight at Kitty Hawk, but those guys flew the heck out of their machines both here and overseas demonstrating that it wasn't just a fluke.

Read it when it came a year or so ago. Very good book, very interesting especially the flying they did in France. Easy read too.

Back