The worst thread on POA

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
The Origami I have entered the 2017 Ohio State Fair:

These two geometric pieces were created by a process called Snapology, invented by Heinz Strobl.
DSC03182.jpg DSC03191.jpg

A modular dollar bill star by Carmen Sprung and a modular dollar bill cuboctohedron by Tomoko Fuse

DSC03183.jpg DSC03192.jpg

A Star of David tesselation designed by me (based on one by Eric Gjerde) and a Hydrangea tesselation, also by Fujimoto

DSC03190.jpg DSC03186.jpg

I though they were pretty cool, but I thought "snapology" was invented by the makers of Lego.

Someone isn't flying enough.....

Are these all no-cut/no-glue?

I had to look twice to make sure this wasn't the Wurst Thread on PoA. Brats are big in parts of Ohio.

Are these all no-cut/no-glue?

First, everything you see was indeed folded by me. I include the name of the designers out of respect.

The snapology and modular pieces were all done from multiple pieces of paper held together by friction locks and nothing else. Similar for the two dollar bill pieces. The flowers, tessellations, and arthropods were folded from one piece of paper each.

The snapology is really boring to do, and to my mind is barely origami. Its all done from strips, I could teach it in about a minute.

Last edited:
Me, I could look at some of that stuff for quite a while.

Nice work!

Very impressive!

I have nowhere near the patience for something like that, but I admire those who do.

I like the beetle and the centipede.

Those are very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful work!
Where do you find the paper?

The dollar bill things were made from, well, dollar bills. Believe it or not dollar bills are one of the best folding papers imaginable. If I could easily get the stuff without the printing I'd fold with little else.

The modular pieces were mostly made of Kami, standard Japanese folding paper, one side colored and one side white. Some of the stars also had foil paper, which is thin metallic foil laminated to paper. The floral pieces were made from patterned Kami, a bit higher end but again widely available. The tessellations were also made form Kami, albeit in larger sheets. I'm probably the only person on Earth who does tessellations in this material, most use more expensive art papers. But I like Kami, and its actually quite a bit more difficult to fold than art paper. Again, widely available.

The two arthropods were made from specialized art papers. The centipede was made from Sekishu paper that I had treated with a solution of methyl cellulose, while the beetle was made from a sheet of Unryu similarly treated.

Back