The Weather Gods are Angry

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
If you have read Kent's accounts of flying in the soup the past few days you have a pretty good idea of what this salled low pressure has been doing around the Chicago/Wisconsin area. Lot of low clouds with gentle showers. In other words great IMC for playing in.

Since I just got back from a long trip overseas work owes me a couple of days off and with my boss out of town for the week, today seemed like a good to take off to do a little IFR flying. But this morning the sky was blue, little to no wind, temps in the middle 60's, etc. Sickening I tell you, who would want to fly in that stuff??:dunno:

Later today the forecast calls for strong thunderstorms and it looks like the weather guessers got it right. There is a line of thunderstorms building to the northwest and they are headed this way. So I guess no IMC that is flyable for me today. :(

They are angry!!!

Today - Nice
Tomorrow - Checkride - Crap
Friday - Nice.

N2212R said:
They are angry!!!

Today - Nice
Tomorrow - Checkride - Crap
Friday - Nice.

Isn't it amazing how that always seems to be the case.

I suggest you sacrifice a hygrometer and fill a rain guage with the juice of a thermometer well making the incantation, 'please let there be nice weather just this once':fcross::fcross::fcross:

Tell me about the weather. Decent the past few days while in meetings, but for our tour of Berlin tomorrow? Rain is forecast. Figures. :mad: At least it should be perfect in Haifa when I get there Friday. :D

Well, that's a new twist: you're cancelling a IFR flight because of VMC conditions. Maybe Greebo can move this thread permantently to the top to remind us of your impertinence when someone whines about continued IMC in the future.:goofy:

We drove to Madison and we were pretty much DRIVING in IMC.

We figured sure it would be clear by the return trip on Monday. Not really - just patches of sun.

Today there was HAIL in that downpour downtown. There is a lotta water everywhere. I thought this was a high pressure now.

All the good weather is here in Houston, amazingly. Highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s with sunny skies all week. :yes:

Take a look at where the jetstream is.... Major headwinds to anyone headed to the north from Texas. That just doesn't happen this time of year... you can usually count on a tailwind out of the west.

What's up with this???

Yeah, this morning was beautiful in the Chicago area. The line of thunderstorms was forecast to come through and be gone by 8:00 PM, when I had a currency ride. About 4:00 I get a call from the airport to reschedul e:mad: because the instructor didn't believe the forecast, and expected 5 mi, rain, and low ceilings. I, being more optimistic, wanted to wait to see how the weather actually turned out, but whimped out and didn't push back. Wouldn't you know, right around 7:30 things started clearing up. Yeah, you could see some nasty stuff south:lightning:, but it certainly wouldn't have been a problem. Just kicking myself now. I need this currency to take the Skylane up to Oshkosh this weekend! Rescheduled for Friday night, but that's cutting it pretty close.:fcross:

Richard said:
Well, that's a new twist: you're cancelling a IFR flight because of VMC conditions. Maybe Greebo can move this thread permantently to the top to remind us of your impertinence when someone whines about continued IMC in the future.:goofy:

Impertinence??? Why did you feel that I was being that? I certainly did not intend any rudeness I was just expressing my disapointment at not being able to take advantage of some fine IMC we have had this week. I certainly do not understand your attack on me for expressing that opinion.:dunno:

gprellwitz said:
Yeah, this morning was beautiful in the Chicago area. The line of thunderstorms was forecast to come through and be gone by 8:00 PM, when I had a currency ride. About 4:00 I get a call from the airport to reschedul e:mad: because the instructor didn't believe the forecast, and expected 5 mi, rain, and low ceilings. I, being more optimistic, wanted to wait to see how the weather actually turned out, but whimped out and didn't push back. Wouldn't you know, right around 7:30 things started clearing up. Yeah, you could see some nasty stuff south:lightning:, but it certainly wouldn't have been a problem. Just kicking myself now. I need this currency to take the Skylane up to Oshkosh this weekend! Rescheduled for Friday night, but that's cutting it pretty close.:fcross:
I anm further north than you and we started getting lines about noon. A couple more went through in until about 5pm when a pretty strong cell came through. It looked really bad to the south east, I was by O'Hare and there was very little landing traffic and no departures until about 6:15pm

Isn't the rest of the week supposed to be pretty good?

smigaldi said:
Isn't the rest of the week supposed to be pretty good?
Relatively speaking, yes. Windy friday, somewhat cloudy in the evening. I saw some of the pics on the news of all the hail that came down this evening. Wouldn't want that hitting my car (or plane, if I had one:goofy:)

smigaldi said:
Impertinence??? Why did you feel that I was being that? I certainly did not intend any rudeness I was just expressing my disapointment at not being able to take advantage of some fine IMC we have had this week. I certainly do not understand your attack on me for expressing that opinion.:dunno:
Scott, relax, I was only cracking a joke. I meant no offense and I apologize if I caused you any grief.

Us mortals are not allowed to question the gods. In ancient Greece you would have been run through with a lightning bolt for your impertinence. Such was the nature of my comment.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Scott, relax, I was only cracking a joke. I meant no offense and I apologize if I caused you any grief.

Us mortals are not allowed to question the gods. In ancient Greece you would have been run through with a lightning bolt for your impertinence. Such was the nature of my comment.

Ok sorry I did not get it and it was late when I read it. Pleae accept my mea culpa.

...unstable conditions triggering the growth of eight mile high thunderstorms that swept across the metropolitan area during the afternoon. A low freezing level of 8,000 feet ensured that the hailstones that formed in the thunderstorms' vigorous updrafts did not melt before reaching the ground, and hailstones--ranging from pea to golf ball sized--pounded nearly all sections of the metropolitan area.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/weather/chi-0605180305may18,1,7024816.column?coll=chi-news-hed
Kent wouldn't have wanted to get his new IR that wet.

Back