The value of AFDs

scottd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scottd

Last edited:
And if the TAFs are not necessarily indicative of the forecasters opinion what should we look at to "believe"

What any of this have to do with the green book?

Airlines are allowed to buy weather forecasts. If they need 1/2 mile Vis to launch and the TAF is forecasting 1/4 mile they call up their paid weather provider (we used Kavorus, which I referred to as 'Kavorkian') and buy better weather. It's legal and the only rule is the alternate has to use the worse weather between the two.

I am a huge fan of the AFD's. I always read them. In my area, the weather service does a great job of providing thorough discussion. (North Carolina)

I'm also really bummed out when i'm flying somewhere, and the AFD for that area is really lacking or says nothing at all. I wish all of the local forecasting stations put as much effort into the discussion as they do 'round here

Last edited:
At KMSO, they drive up and down the runway spraying CO2 to try and turn the morning fog into snow in an effort to convince the forecasters to give a better TAF so that regionals can legally depart for KMSO.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/business/817174/airport_takes_on_fog_with_co2

I got a chuckle out of the linked article. They rationalize that CO2 is harmless. Just a few states to the southwest, CO2 is a greenhouse gas. I suspect this fog seeding would be a no-no in Kalifornia.

-Skip

Anybody know how to get these AFDs on fltplan.com?

Back