The unsung heroes...

Piper18O

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Piper18O
I posted a reply in flight training about the cost of check rides, and after I posted it, I thought it might be better posted here under a new thread. I would love to see people post stories about someone who has been a "hero" in your eyes, as far as aviation is concerned. Here is mine:

My private cost me $75, instrument and commercial were $120. This was between 1994 and 1996. On further reflection, it seems to me that the days of people flying more for the love of aviation are pretty much gone. When I learned to fly, my instructor owned 5 airplanes, and provided instruction for free, if you rented his airplane to learn. The cost of a Cherokee 140 was 35 dollars an hour wet, and the Arrow I got my commercial in was $46 an hour. He worked at Boeing in Wichita and instructed and ran the FBO in Kingman Kansas with his wife. He instructed when he got home from work and all day on Saturdays and Sundays. He loved and believed in aviation and wanted to pass his love on to as many others as he could. He was probably working 80 or more hours a week, and not even charging for his instruction. On top of that, you couldn't find a cheaper place to rent an airplane either. He wasn't rich, and he didn't live in a fancy house. He and his wife lived in a trailer house at the airport. He grew up during the depression, served in WWII and truly epitomized the moniker "the greatest generation." If it wouldn't have been for him, I never would have attained my dream of learning to fly. It would have just been too expensive. Since then, the ability to fly has given me more joy and happiness than just about anything except my family, and it has caused me to want to give back as well. However, I will never be able to give back even a fraction of a percent of what he and his wife gave of themselves, so that so many others could experience so much joy. He died in 2006 at the age of 81. God rest his soul. I don't imagine there are many left like him.

I’ll never be able to pay back my first CFI for teaching me to fly.

It was the major reason I decided to earn the CFI myself, it certainly isn’t worth the money or even a reasonable ROI.

It was about paying it forward to a new generation.

He tossed a poor kid working too many jobs a number of hours of his time without charging. Mostly just hours and hours of “ground” time talking anything remotely airplane related.

Internet wasn’t a thing then. Could not scratch that itch at all without older pilot friends to talk to back then.

I had a CFI that realized I was not a normal student. Instead I was a student that still craved excitement. He was also a aerobatic instructor. At the end of each lesson, if I finished the lesson satisfactorily, we would do some things in a 152 that I would not recommend to anyone. A real motivator for me.

Funny thing is that after I got my private, I have never had any desire to do any aerobatic flying. (however I did barrel roll a 207 once)

Back