The United States is losing its sense of humor

ejensen said:
Yea, I do wonder sometimes. My wife and I shook our heads at this one from yesterday's paper.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_3813404,00.html

This kinda brings up a whole new topic, "How Stupid are we letting kids be now?" Good god do we teach no limit or boundary of common sense anymore? The yearbook advisor should have looked at that submission and laughed and said "Yes that's reeeaaal funny, but you can't publish that, it's something you just don't do because that is taken VERY seriously by people who can ruin and even end your life." Kids need to be taught this kind of stuff, and it's fallen, right or wrong, on our educators to do that. Problem is our educational budgets really aren't up to the task of providing quality education. You can't get the best and the brightest at most teachers wages. But, that's no excuse in my book. You signed up for the job, quit snivelling and do the job, or quit and do something else, and if you sign up for the job, this is part of it. I hold the advisor responsible (as I'm sure the SS does as well). The kids were being stupid, but thats what kids do. It's our job as adults to rain on the parade a bit and teach them how not to be stupid. That advisor seriously failed at his/her job, whether they were being lazy or stupid doesn't matter, they didn't earn their pay. If they had a clean slate, they just swung 2 strikes.

Guess I read it different. SS investigated as required, probably laughed and closed the case. School way over-reacted by censoring the yearbooks.

Not that I disagree about the state of many schools these days.

ejensen said:
Guess I read it different. SS investigated as required, probably laughed and closed the case. School way over-reacted by censoring the yearbooks.

The school should have never have had to go in with markers and all around over react because it should never have been allowed to go to print. You DON'T joke about killing the President just like you don't talk about bombs in airports. It makes the wrong people nervous, and Big Brother is watching...and listening (I wonder how many Carnivour hits this post and thread get). It's like folding the flag, some people get very picky about it. I had a deckhand get fired by an owner for "misshandling" The Flag. Kids need to be taught "there are things you just don't do". Joking about killing the President is one of those.

BTW, I know 3 Secret Service agents, only one of them laughs, the other two are very serious all the freakin time. They tend to creep me out when I work with them. Compared to them the US Marshals are a regular comic fest.

'Beach towels' is bad? What if they had a picture of them all at the beach in bikinis, that would be 'worse' but acceptable? I guess I'd need to see a copy of the picture to offer a verdict, your honor.

At one of the schools down here, each child has to punch an individual code into a computer when they buy lunch. This is obstensively to allow parents to see what their children are eating. It's also training them that somebody will always be watching their every move. Parents now, government later.

wsuffa said:
At one of the schools down here, each child has to punch an individual code into a computer when they buy lunch. This is obstensively to allow parents to see what their children are eating. It's also training them that somebody will always be watching their every move. Parents now, government later.

That just sent a chill up my spine.

ejensen said:

I've worked with the Secret Service on a couple of occasions. I will bet money that they did not laugh. Joking about assassinating our President isn't funny to anyone with an ounce of common sense, and it certainly isn't to them.

Carol said:
That just sent a chill up my spine.

Yep, it's ok though, they'll learn to sneak and hide and to cover tracks very early in life and instill a deep seeded paranoia. Perfect recipe for developing serial killers to their maximum potential.

Henning said:
There is something seriously wrong with this. No one should have lost a job over this, that's ridiculous.

I agree no one should of lost there job over this but if one is going to be fired then they all should.

Henning said:
This kinda brings up a whole new topic, "How Stupid are we letting kids be now?" Good god do we teach no limit or boundary of common sense anymore? The yearbook advisor should have looked at that submission and laughed and said "Yes that's reeeaaal funny, but you can't publish that, it's something you just don't do because that is taken VERY seriously by people who can ruin and even end your life." Kids need to be taught this kind of stuff, and it's fallen, right or wrong, on our educators to do that. Problem is our educational budgets really aren't up to the task of providing quality education. You can't get the best and the brightest at most teachers wages. But, that's no excuse in my book. You signed up for the job, quit snivelling and do the job, or quit and do something else, and if you sign up for the job, this is part of it. I hold the advisor responsible (as I'm sure the SS does as well). The kids were being stupid, but thats what kids do. It's our job as adults to rain on the parade a bit and teach them how not to be stupid. That advisor seriously failed at his/her job, whether they were being lazy or stupid doesn't matter, they didn't earn their pay. If they had a clean slate, they just swung 2 strikes.

Again you hit the nail right on the head. In addition the school are more interested in raising our children than they are on the education of them. Here in Texas they also have a test that all children must pass to move on to the next grade. Teachers spend a large amount of time "TEACHING THE TEST" rather than on each student understanding the objectives outlined in each subject matter. So what does our education system teach the youth of today. It teaches them how to commit to memory, then flush it out as they walk out the door after the test. Then there is the problem that the objectives are poorly written. An example is that each objective should have a "Condition", "Standard" & a "Behavior". You will never find a public school system that meets this requirement. Some objectives will have two of these items but never all three.

Henning said:
Carol, There are cameras watching us any time we are in public places. Those are just the NYPD cams. Private security patches provide a great deal of surveilance, lot's of cameras in the world.

And with the sat cams I see on googlemaps.com, I am now hesitating before taking a leak behind a tree on a 20000 acre ranch a hundred miles from civilization! And at night - don't forget the NVG!! :hairraise:

Let'sgoflying! said:
And with the sat cams I see on googlemaps.com, I am now hesitating before taking a leak behind a tree on a 20000 acre ranch a hundred miles from civilization! And at night - don't forget the NVG!! :hairraise:

I won't go into satellite... I'm not allowed. Suffice it to say the stuff you see on Google is not anywhere near the cutting edge of what's up there.

Big Brother has been watching for a long time.

Every time you swipe a card, make a phone call, or send an email.

We give up our privacy every day in the name of convenience - Now Terrorism and Security will be used as an excuse to add to the existing surveillance. I'm surprised Da Mare hasn't caught onto to this - he could have the whole of Chicgo on CCTV.

[size=-1]"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose" - J. Joplin[/size]

Hey, if it wasn't for all those cameras where would Cable News get all that free footage to drool on about night after night. What was it last week? Wise ass kids on a school bus, an out of control 3 years old being arrested...Real hard news.

But with all these cameras I ask you. WHERE ARE THE UFO SPACE ALIEN VISITORS?

corjulo said:
But with all these cameras I ask you. WHERE ARE THE UFO SPACE ALIEN VISITORS?
What makes you think they're not the ones taking the video? :eek:

Back