The ultimate crew car?

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
Seen at Atlantic Aviation in SNA. Actually not a crew car, but it is for rent! Makes the rental Nissan I had yesterday look almost cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_20110610_190302.jpg
    IMG_20110610_190302.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20110610_190316.jpg
    IMG_20110610_190316.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
That's pretty schnazzy, but I liked the one I had in Atlantic, IA

254168_10150199716337511_731567510_7714745_6533283_n.jpg

Hmmm....Lotus doesn't work for the US. People can't understand that it's about handling, NOT power. I think Pete's car is more appropriate!

The best crew car I ever had was in Evanston, Wyoming. 30 year old red Ford pickup with broken-everything. That was outright dangerous, but hilarious!

They used to have Jaguars at Million Air in KAVL.
Various MillionAirs have Jags. I felt a little silly once driving one up to a Subway. I've had a Hummer as a crew car and also a MiniCooper. Oh and there was that conversion van.

I seem to remember a place that had a Delorian at one time. Can't remember the specifics.

Basin Harbor, VT. Just another old jalopy.... NOT! Not a crew car either, but I can wish!!!

-Skip

Attachments

• Flying North 014.jpg
    Flying North 014.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 71
Tac Air at LEX had a Porsche at one point.

It was not Tac-Air do not insult Joe like that. It was Air 51 they had a new boxster. Not that Tac-Air is bad they are a very good FBO.

Stopped at BHM once to pic up someone that was flying in commercial. The FBO tossed me the keys to a brand new Caddy with less than 1000 miles on it.

Hmmm....Lotus doesn't work for the US. People can't understand that it's about handling, NOT power. I think Pete's car is more appropriate!

The best crew car I ever had was in Evanston, Wyoming. 30 year old red Ford pickup with broken-everything. That was outright dangerous, but hilarious!

I had one just like that, but it was a Chevy in Miles City MT. It came with a dog that rode in the bed.

Best "crew car" was in Laurel DE (N06). Needed to attend a funeral in town. Called up the airport and spoke to a real laid back crop duster. No rentals or taxi's available. Great guy, said he wasn't using his sprayer truck, so take that! Kinda interesting pulling up to a funeral home all decked out in our Sunday clothes and getting out of an old dualie Power Wagon with a 500 gallon tank in back and spray booms on the side! Was real nice of the guy!

Gary

Lotus doesn't work in the US because we aren't Euro-midgets. I tried to get in one because I briefly considered getting one. It was an adventure into the impossible. Getting into a 152 was like walking into Mammoth Cave compared to trying to get in the Lotus. Never did make it inside the car.

Lotus doesn't work in the US because we aren't Euro-midgets. I tried to get in one because I briefly considered getting one. It was an adventure into the impossible. Getting into a 152 was like walking into Mammoth Cave compared to trying to get in the Lotus. Never did make it inside the car.
That's the same with me. I had to shelve my love of old Brit sports cars (especially the Morgans... oh, how I love Morgans!) because they refuse to contain 6'4'' of me. My buddy had a TR6 that I could barely drive. My legs were in constant contact with the steering wheel, and I had to contort my body around to use the clutch.
I tried to drive a Morgan Plus 4 once. Let's just say that there was no physical possibility of me getting both of my legs in the car at the same time. I kept trying to find some way to slither in; it just didn't work. It would be like a "Euro-midget" trying to fit into one of those "kids' race car shopping cart extension" things.
Buuuuuuuut: the new Morgan Aero 8s can hold me just fine, thank you. Now, if the prices would just come down a bit...

The ultimate crew car is whatever someone is nice enough to leave for my use which is reasonably safe and doesn't smell bad.

It was not Tac-Air do not insult Joe like that. It was Air 51 they had a new boxster. Not that Tac-Air is bad they are a very good FBO.

TacAir was great every time I used them. Eye candy, too.

Yeah Air-51 had the Boxster, but I got the Honda half SUV whatever it was called. Still a nice crew car.

Flew into Custer, SD once, Greg Kainz's home, and the FBO manager gave me his 1978 Jeep CJ-7. Went all through Custer, Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, etc and just left a full tank of gas. What a fun ride. That part of South Dakota is great.

If that is the ultimate crew car, this is the polar opposite:

Of note - it takes at least 5 minutes (not an exaggeration) to get above 30mph.

Attachments

• Crew Car.JPG
    Crew Car.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 16
A Lotus??? That would rock.

Best (!) crew car i ever got was a rusty, beat-up 1982 Chrysler New Yorker with orange peel on the hood. I think it was Greene County in OH, I know i was going to visit the USAF museum. Hey, I ain't complainin! It was free, and it was stylin in a dirtbag, redneck kinda way.

I dig that Crown Vic, though - enough reason to go to Iowa right there!

Rumor has it that that Crown Vic will do 100mph pretty quickly ;-)

And top out shortly thereafter!!

I had an Olds Cutlass Supreme up to 125+ (at which pt the speedo was worthless, after which the needle was buried) on the FL turnpike.

Fortunately for my azz there wasn't a Crown Vic waiting in ambush.

I have matured, and slowed down tremendously, since those carefree days of college.

My favorite courtesy car is in Lockhart - and has "Barbeque Patrol" on the side!

Ryan

I'm just starting using my new cert. Can someone elaborate a bit on the customs and expectations of crew cars?

For now I rent or taxi

I'm just starting using my new cert. Can someone elaborate a bit on the customs and expectations of crew cars?

For now I rent or taxi
Pretty simple rules or expectations. Generally, use is limited to an hour or so; just a quick run so that others can use it too. Add at least as much fuel in the vehicle as you used. Leave it as clean inside as when you got it. Purchase fuel or something from the FBO that's providing the car.

I had an Olds Cutlass Supreme up to 125+ (at which pt the speedo was worthless, after which the needle was buried) on the FL turnpike.

In high school I had a 1985 S10 Blazer with a 305 out of a '79 El Camino sporting 4bbl carb, Edelbrock intake manifold, 350 turbo transmission, and B&M ratchet shifter.

Early one morning before a class field trip, I raced a friend of mine in her mid-90's Eclipse. My speedometer went up to 85, but this time it wrapped back around to 45.. Not sure what it actually 'trued out', but it was fast 'enough'. I left her rice burner in the dust (?oil smoke?).

Now I just drive a Jeep with oversized tires - not interested in outrunning anybody, I just crush what gets in the way. :D

Pretty simple rules or expectations. Generally, use is limited to an hour or so; just a quick run so that others can use it too. Add at least as much fuel in the vehicle as you used. Leave it as clean inside as when you got it. Purchase fuel or something from the FBO that's providing the car.

Sometimes I'll also run it through an automated carwash if one is convenient and the car is in need of one. Pretty cheap rental fee for the use of it.

Do you just call ahead and ask if they have one? I did that once and I got a strange response, like he had no idea...then he recommended a shuttle driver that worked by appt only. We changed venues.

Sometimes I'll also run it through an automated carwash if one is convenient and the car is in need of one. Pretty cheap rental fee for the use of it.

I double-dog dare ya to take that crew car I posted through a car-wash.....of note - the windows don't roll up.

Do you just call ahead and ask if they have one? I did that once and I got a strange response, like he had no idea...then he recommended a shuttle driver that worked by appt only. We changed venues.

Yes, always best to call ahead - sometimes the FBO will let you reserve it (assuming they have one), but most of the time it is first-come/first-served.

Not every FBO has a crew car. Some have multiple ones.

I had a Lotus Elise as a daily driver for about a year, and I'm no contortionist midget. It does take a lot of practice to even approach graceful entry and exit, however...

And the air conditioner works great so long as it doesn't get over 70 outside. :mad2: They are awesome cars, though.

Back