The TSA has an Honor Guard...

Lol! Im sure the applause was bc they didnt know what branch of the military it was and no one would have thought the tsa would be so vain to have a colorguard. I dont see any cbp or secret service color guards... Lol. Freakin tsa...

Hey, like the article said, they were keeping us safe.

The more time / resources they spent marching around with a flag, the less time/ resources they have to abuse air travelers thus improving the safety of air travel.

They should put EVERY TSA agent in the color guard.

Hey, like the article said, they were keeping us safe.

The more time / resources they spent marching around with a flag, the less time/ resources they have to abuse air travelers thus improving the safety of air travel.

They should put EVERY TSA agent in the color guard.

F yeah! The TSA costs the airlines and the taxpayers dearly. Not too mention violating the 4th amendment rights we used t have against unreasonable search and seizure! I.E. without a warrant/probably cause. See article the sixth...

<---<^>--->

"Behavior Detection Officer" ?? gee whiz...

When looking at that picture the first thing to come to mind was the cadets in "Police Academy".

Reviewing the TSA page reminds me of a Vonnegut novela.

Last edited:
OK - a partly serious question: They have a honor guard - do they get their own National Cemetery space, too? You know, for all the TSA agents lost in the line of duty.

I like the fact that their honor guard has a short fat girl on it.

Very representative of the organization as a whole.

OK - a partly serious question: They have a honor guard - do they get their own National Cemetery space, too? You know, for all the TSA agents lost in the line of duty.
They do. But there will be a long line to get into it and no one will be buried with their shoes or belt on.

Meanwhile it appears that there's about 10 spectators visible and they're looking in the other direction :rolleyes:

Next, tomb of the unknown baggage screener?

Lol! Im sure the applause was bc they didnt know what branch of the military it was and no one would have thought the tsa would be so vain to have a colorguard. I dont see any cbp or secret service color guards... Lol. Freakin tsa...

Actually the Uniformed Division of the Secret Service and the CBP do have Honor Guards. Not that I think TSA needs one.

F yeah! The TSA costs the airlines and the taxpayers dearly. Not too mention violating the 4th amendment rights we used t have against unreasonable search and seizure! I.E. without a warrant/probably cause. See article the sixth...

<---<^>--->

While I absolutely despise the TSA, and just about anything they represent, flying on an airline is VOLUNTARY. It is not illegal search, and seizure. If you don't want to go through the security measures, don't fly the airlines. Walk, drive, take the train, fly GA, ride a bike, etc.

Pass a certain point and you cannot opt out of a screening without an 11,000 dollar fine.

Not so voluntary.

To hold the colors in the manner required, the TSA honor guard team is equipped with the $2.5Billion high technology Flag-o-staff machine which uses the latest in computer digital technology.

The TSA Flag-o-staff was customer deigned on a procurement contract to create brillant displays. It has a brilliant 40 megawatt light display which is blinding even in the daylight. It can launch fireworks. It can play music consisting "God Save the Queen," "The Wiffenpoof Song," "The Notre Dame fight song," and "On Wisconsin," and of course, "God Bless the USA."

Future upgrades will include the capability to play "America the Beautiful," "The 1812 Overture," and eventually, "The Star Spangled Banner," once the research into the rights for public performance have completed by the Department of Commerce.

The machine is built onto a semi-trailer which must be towed by a customer painted cab immediately in front of the sworn TSA personell. It takes a staff of 8 to to operate, with a driver, co-driver, supervisor, and a Deputy Director event co-ordinator and 4 technicians to man the automated console to throw the various switches, labeled both OFF and ON.

Although the Flag-o-staff is not designed to actually hold the flag, a future version with a flag holder is in the planning stage and will be put out for bid for a 2016 deployment.

Pass a certain point and you cannot opt out of a screening without an 11,000 dollar fine.

Not so voluntary.

Flying the airlines is voluntary. Nobody is forcing you to use that mode of travel.

Flying the airlines is voluntary. Nobody is forcing you to use that mode of travel.

Are you implying that since flying is voluntary (which isn't quite true) then any type of search technique is perfectly legal? Even techniques that aren't actually effective or reasonable?

If you aren't being quite that far-reaching, what, if any, constraints on the "security" measures would be legitimate?

Are you implying that since flying is voluntary (which isn't quite true) then any type of search technique is perfectly legal? Even techniques that aren't actually effective or reasonable?

If you aren't being quite that far-reaching, what, if any, constraints on the "security" measures would be legitimate?

I am not saying that at all. Another poster indicated this violated a Constitutional search, and seizure law. I disagree.

Why isn't flying airlines voluntary? And please don't say because of your job. If you are really that against the security measures you can always get a job that doesn't require airline travel.

I am as annoyed at these make believe security measures, and the TSA as anyone, but please let's leave the Constitutional argument out of it.

While I absolutely despise the TSA, and just about anything they represent, flying on an airline is VOLUNTARY. It is not illegal search, and seizure. If you don't want to go through the security measures, don't fly the airlines. Walk, drive, take the train, fly GA, ride a bike, etc.
Where did you get the idea that the TSA isn't going to be waiting for you at the train or buss station? Or a G.A. airport? Or some random place on a highway?

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/index.shtm

Oh, and they have confiscated bicycles parked on city streets too.

Where did you get the idea that the TSA isn't going to be waiting for you at the train or buss station? Or a G.A. airport? Or some random place on a highway?

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/index.shtm

Oh, and they have confiscated bicycles parked on city streets too.

Again, not saying I agree with it, but as long as there are other choices, it is not yet a Constitutional issue. But, I agree, we are on a slippery slope. If these measures bleed over to other modes of transport, then yes, it is a Constitutional issue.

Members of the audience may opt-out of standing for the Flag-o-staff but then the entire crowd will be suspected by default by the TSA behavior analysts of being un-American and will be subject to physical search.

I am not saying that at all. Another poster indicated this violated a Constitutional search, and seizure law. I disagree.

Why isn't flying airlines voluntary? And please don't say because of your job. If you are really that against the security measures you can always get a job that doesn't require airline travel.

I am as annoyed at these make believe security measures, and the TSA as anyone, but please let's leave the Constitutional argument out of it.

I'm not going ignore my constitutional right to travel.

But you didn't answer the question regarding whether or not you think that there should be limits on the security techniques. If not, why? If so, then what are the limits?

I'm not going ignore my constitutional right to travel.

But you didn't answer the question regarding whether or not you think that there should be limits on the security techniques. If not, why? If so, then what are the limits?

Yes there should be limits.

Personally, I think we've exceeded those limits or are darn close, but if I want to circumvent them I still can by not getting on an airliner.

Again, yes the security is stupid, and does nothing to make flying "safe". It is security opera, nothing more.

This argument doesn't work for two reasons. First, the TSA has already stated that they want to screen more than just air travel, so you can bet that those other transportation measures won't be excluded long.

More importantly, they are already screening train and car passengers (with their mobile XRay vans). So you can fly GA or ride a bike for now. Ummmm...

This argument doesn't work for two reasons. First, the TSA has already stated that they want to screen more than just air travel, so you can bet that those other transportation measures won't be excluded long.

More importantly, they are already screening train and car passengers (with their mobile XRay vans). So you can fly GA or ride a bike for now. Ummmm...

Of course the TSA wants that. They are a government organization whose real mandate it to grow, and enlargen their domain, and of course BUDGET.

Mobile xray vans? When did that happen? Do I need to put on my tinfoil hat again?

Tinfoil_Hat_Cat.jpg

That's my cat. I've named him Mr. Bigglesworth. Do NOT anger him.

:D

Again, not saying I agree with it, but as long as there are other choices, it is not yet a Constitutional issue. But, I agree, we are on a slippery slope. If these measures bleed over to other modes of transport, then yes, it is a Constitutional issue.

Trains are already subject to TSA searches. They are regularly searching folks boarding Acela out of DC/Union Station. They've also done it out of Penn Station (NY), Boston, and Philly.

Subways are also subject to regular police & TSA searches. Boston, NY, DC for certain.

TSA has rolled out mobile "scanners" and has used them several times, most famous case was on I-20 near Atlanta (link). There is nothing stopping them from being used on cars (they're also capable of seeing through the walls of a home, but that's another kettle 'o fish).

General Aviation is not exempt, though TSA doesn't do it nearly as regularly (exceptions include flights to/from DCA, and some searching at other major airports). They certainly believe they have the power to search you & your plane.

That about leaves walking. Can't travel very far if all you do is walk....

Putting aside strict reading of the Constitution, are the extensive searches (and virtual strip searches with the body scanners) in the spirit of the rights our founders envisioned, and is the process truly one of "risk management" that is the least intrusive to meet the required goal?

I'm very interested to see the outcome of the cavity-search lawsuit that was heard at the USSC this week.

Of course the TSA wants that. They are a government organization whose real mandate it to grow, and enlargen their domain, and of course BUDGET.

Mobile xray vans? When did that happen?

See the link I posted above from WSB, Atlanta.

Here's a direct link to the product: http://www.as-e.com/products_solutions/zbv.asp

There are several vendors that produce "see through the wall radar" equipment.

OK. I was wrong. Count me in for the militia!

Thanks Bill.

Of course the TSA wants that. They are a government organization whose real mandate it to grow, and enlargen their domain, and of course BUDGET...

Imagine if the law creating the TSA wasn't done under a "less government" President.

Back